Tell me...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 11:22:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Tell me...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tell me...  (Read 2633 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 28, 2008, 07:48:45 PM »

Right now, since Kucinich has dropped out, I don't have a candidate. I'm pretty sold against Clinton, but I like the other three.

So, Obama/Edwards/Gravel supporters, tell me: why should I support your candidate?
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 07:51:21 PM »

I am a Obama/Edwards supporter that leans to Edwards, and I support them because I can't stand Clinton's politics of hatred and divisiveness and her fakeness. She is not the right candidate to lead the Democratic Party to the future.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 07:52:00 PM »

youre 13.  it really doesnt matter who you support.

just sayin'
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 07:53:16 PM »

I was on the fence with Obama/Edwards, basically they are both good but you need to be practical. Edwards is not going to win, and Obama actually has a chance so go for him. Then again you can't vote so practically speaking it doesn't matter unless you volunteer like none other in the next week.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 07:56:19 PM »

just sayin'

It could matter in 4 years, when I can.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 07:57:11 PM »

just sayin'
Oh yeah one vote will make all the difference too...
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 07:58:23 PM »

just sayin'
Oh yeah one vote will make all the difference too...

You could say that about anyone.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 08:00:57 PM »

just sayin'

you live in massachusetts.  it really doesnt matter who you support.

just sayin'
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 08:07:10 PM »

just sayin'

you live in massachusetts.  it really doesnt matter who you support.

just sayin'

in the primary it might.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 08:10:26 PM »

In any case, if your really keen on knowing what the candidates are about go to their websites. Theres a ton of things I could tell you about Obama....I just dont know what issues matter to you more. All their websites have everything you need to know...not to sound lazy.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 08:12:15 PM »

just sayin'

Will you be 18 by the time election day in 2012 rolls around? 
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 08:14:10 PM »

I support Barack Obama.

I support Barack Obama because he has been the only candidate consistent on the issue of ethics reform. He has proposed powerful legislation in the Senate, working together with prominent anti-corruption Republicans (I may dislike Tom Coburn, but he does have something going for him), which would substantially increase the level of oversight in American politics and reduce earmarking to the extremely rare process it was two decades ago. As President, he would be able to set the agenda for Congress and work with reformists in Congress to craft legislation; as we have seen in the Bush Presidency, Presidents have far greater powers of pressure and persuasion than Senators, even when Senators can vote on bills while Presidents cannot.

I support Barack Obama because he has proposed the only rational foreign policy approach, to use war only a last resort and only against nations and organizations which are true threats to American security. He stands against excessive ties with the Israeli government, the Saudi government, the Pakistani government, and others, and he was willing to speak against our support of Musharraf's regime long before the Johnny-come-latelies of the current day. Obama possesses a distinct understanding of foreign policy that no other candidate possesses (though Bill Richardson does), stemming from a willingness, so rare in American politics, to see the ramifications of our actions from a foreigner's, as well as American's, point of view.

Those are the two primary reasons I support Barack Obama, and I see a distinct difference from John Edwards on both. Edwards does not act, he reacts. He is angry about Iraq now, but he does not have a foreign policy plan or vision for the future. He is angry about corruption now, but he did nothing when he had the opportunity to oppose it in the Senate, and nor does he have any legislative ideas to pursue regarding it in the future.

(There are also issues of rhetoric and economics I disagree with Edwards on, but they are less important.)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 08:16:00 PM »

just sayin'

Will you be 18 by the time election day in 2012 rolls around? 

Yes.
perdedor

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 08:49:44 PM »

Of the three you mentioned, Obama is the only candidate with a realistic chance of being nominated as opposed to Clinton. In other words, you could take the futile route and support a candidate with no realistic chance at being nominated (as you were doing with Kucinich) and have to spend the time droning on about how crappy a candidate Clinton is, and threaten to vote Green. Or you can just vote for Obama and if Clinton is still nominated...then you can at least say you did everything you could to stop the Clinton candidacy. Obama's politics are tolerable and his chances are good.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 11:59:06 PM »

I support Barack Obama.

I support Barack Obama because he has been the only candidate consistent on the issue of ethics reform. He has proposed powerful legislation in the Senate, working together with prominent anti-corruption Republicans (I may dislike Tom Coburn, but he does have something going for him), which would substantially increase the level of oversight in American politics and reduce earmarking to the extremely rare process it was two decades ago. As President, he would be able to set the agenda for Congress and work with reformists in Congress to craft legislation; as we have seen in the Bush Presidency, Presidents have far greater powers of pressure and persuasion than Senators, even when Senators can vote on bills while Presidents cannot.

I support Barack Obama because he has proposed the only rational foreign policy approach, to use war only a last resort and only against nations and organizations which are true threats to American security. He stands against excessive ties with the Israeli government, the Saudi government, the Pakistani government, and others, and he was willing to speak against our support of Musharraf's regime long before the Johnny-come-latelies of the current day. Obama possesses a distinct understanding of foreign policy that no other candidate possesses (though Bill Richardson does), stemming from a willingness, so rare in American politics, to see the ramifications of our actions from a foreigner's, as well as American's, point of view.

Those are the two primary reasons I support Barack Obama, and I see a distinct difference from John Edwards on both. Edwards does not act, he reacts. He is angry about Iraq now, but he does not have a foreign policy plan or vision for the future. He is angry about corruption now, but he did nothing when he had the opportunity to oppose it in the Senate, and nor does he have any legislative ideas to pursue regarding it in the future.

(There are also issues of rhetoric and economics I disagree with Edwards on, but they are less important.)

Thank you.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2008, 08:56:22 AM »

Point 1 - It is gratifying to see 13 y/o's interested in politics but Mitty's point is valid, your opinion doesn't matter.  In 4 years the issues will have changed and so will you.  4 years after that ... same deal.  Truthfully though .... you're about 12 years away from actually be significant (because then you can work for a campaign).  And 20 years away from REALLY mattering to them (because then you have disposably income to donate).

Point 2 - Whether the candidate is Obama or Clinton you really should support 'em in the General unless you want 4 more years of the GOP.

Point 3 - Ethics reform is a red herring.  There are seperation of powers in this country and the executive branch cannot reform the legislative.

Point 4 - Obama's position on foreign policy is not unique.  In fact it is pretty much the standard Dem platform.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies