Democrats ONLY: Are you scared (politically) of John McCain?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:20:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Democrats ONLY: Are you scared (politically) of John McCain?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: HuhHuh
Yes, I'm worried that he'll beat Hillary

No, I'm confident Obama will win the nomination and contrast well with old McCain.

No, there's no historical precedent for the GOP win in 2008*.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: Democrats ONLY: Are you scared (politically) of John McCain?  (Read 2760 times)
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 29, 2008, 09:44:01 PM »

* No incumbent party has ever held the White House after an unpopular two-term President left office.

Any thoughts?

Why I'm worried about McCain in succinct sentences:

1. He'll beat Hillary in the critical Southwest
2. He'll earn a decent chunk of the Hispanic vote
3. Independents still think he'll a "maverick."
4. He'll do well in swing Congressional districts, thus ending the spectre of negative coattails for GOP candidates.
5. Republicans Senators can actually run with him. Susan Collins, Norm Coleman, and Gordon Smith will surely benefit from a decent McCain showing in their states.
6. The MSM thinks he was "right" about the Surge. He and Hillary both voted for the war, so that issue will be negated, like it was in 2004.
7. Older voters love McCain.
8. Black turnout will probably be lower after the bitter Democratic primary fight.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 09:45:59 PM »

Im not scared of him winning, and I dont care for him personally....its alot of his issues and what he plans to do that kinda irks me. Hell lets continue to dip into a recession and then HEY...a depression....but lets keeping bombing and occupying countries for the hell of it. No thanks.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 09:46:09 PM »

An even scarier thought for Democrats... The Republicans are set to nominate their most electable candidate (McCain) and Democrats are about to nominate their least electable candidate (Clinton).

This is why Democrats lose POTUS elections. We always pick the wrong candidate.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 09:47:59 PM »

I'm not a Democrat, but I'm scared that I won't have anyone to vote for. McCain has really turned me off in the last few days by coming out swinging as an arch-conservative on basically everything, while  Clinton has only gotten more repulsive. I have my fingers crossed that either Obama will win the Democratic nomination or Bloomberg chooses to run.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 09:48:47 PM »

Yes, I'm dead frightened.  He could beat either Democratic candidate handily.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 09:49:24 PM »

I'm not a Democrat, but I'm scared that I won't have anyone to vote for. McCain has really turned me off in the last few days by coming out swinging as an arch-conservative on basically everything, while  Clinton has only gotten more repulsive. I have my fingers crossed that either Obama will win the Democratic nomination or Bloomberg chooses to run.
If it's McCain vs. Clinton, will you write-in Chuck Schumer's name? I'm considering starting a Chuck4POTUS website...
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 09:49:38 PM »

This is more or less my position, although I can't say I'd vote for Bloomberg seeing as I know nothing meaningful about him.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 09:50:09 PM »

Obama could actually beat him. Interestingly, neither Obama nor McCain is easy to hate. That's bad news for Fox News and Air America.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 09:50:34 PM »

Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 09:50:50 PM »

If it's McCain vs. Clinton, will you write-in Chuck Schumer's name? I'm considering starting a Chuck4POTUS website...

No. I have only a weak fondness for Schumer. I'd write in Bloomberg.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 09:51:32 PM »

I am scared of him, and then again I'm not scared of him.  Let me explain.  He could beat either Obama or Clinton, but he wouldn't be that bad of a president.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 09:52:09 PM »

Obama could actually beat him. Interestingly, neither Obama nor McCain is easy to hate. That's bad news for Fox News and Air America.
No, I think McCain could play the experience card rather effectively.

I agree with your second statement, though.  I think having Obama vs. McCain or Huckabee would be one of the most polite campaigns we've had for a while (though they would certainly employ their surrogates to do dirty work).
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 09:52:36 PM »

No. I have only a weak fondness for Schumer. I'd write in Bloomberg.
We'll both write-in Jewish New Yorkers with Ivy League diplomas. Wonderful!
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 09:53:28 PM »

MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 09:54:56 PM »

I agree with your second statement, though.  I think having Obama vs. McCain or Huckabee would be one of the most polite campaigns we've had for a while (though they would certainly employ their surrogates to do dirty work).
But how well will that card work in a "change" election? After eight years of Bush, won't voters prefer the younger, more charismatic Obama to the elderly, ornery McCain?

If foreign policy issues dominate the campaign, McCain will win. But if the campaign focuses on the domestic front, I could foresee a >280 ECV Obama win.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2008, 09:56:49 PM »

McCain may play the experience card, but he looks and acts very old, distinct from Reagan who was older but seemed much younger. Plus, McCain's not the greatest speaker or debater. Obama v McCain would be an interesting race, certainly, and by far the most pleasant and engaging I can imagine.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2008, 10:01:12 PM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Obama > McCain > Romney > Clinton. 

Bloomberg = unknown.

McCain may play the experience card, but he looks and acts very old, distinct from Reagan who was older but seemed much younger. Plus, McCain's not the greatest speaker or debater. Obama v McCain would be an interesting race, certainly, and by far the most pleasant and engaging I can imagine.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2008, 10:11:04 PM »

He scares me, as we don't know what kind of GE candidate he'd be.

But he's definitely vulnerable - it'd be the closest election.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2008, 11:11:05 PM »

Just what we need -- another nailbiter.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2008, 11:15:19 PM »

I don't really care whether or not he beats Clinton.  I have no reason to be afraid of him.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2008, 11:45:18 PM »

Honestly, I don't care if he is elected President because I dislike both Hillary and Obama. I would be willing to tolerate four years of President McCain as long as that meant Mark Warner is elected in 2012. So I'm not afraid of him.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2008, 11:46:15 PM »

Hmmm...I think that both Obama and Clinton can do well in all of the swing states, but that's just me.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2008, 12:00:23 AM »

Hmmm...I think that both Obama and Clinton can do well in all of the swing states, but that's just me.

Yes, but IMHO they appeal to some of the same, but also some very different geographical areas.

I can't see Obama being competitive in the Border states that I think Clinton has a good shot at - the same is true for Clinton and the SW.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2008, 06:14:21 AM »

He's over-rated actually. Not that he'd be a bad candidate or anything (which is the main difference between him and all the other Republicans running...) but he's not, and is obviously not, the unbeatable electoral titan that many here have recently decided to believe.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2008, 06:41:29 AM »

No, because I think a McCain presidency with a Democratic congress would be the best thing America can get. He will handle Iraq and the economy responsibly and I have good hopes for the kind of compromises he will be able to strike with Democratic leaders in Congress. After all, I think that worked pretty well before.

But if one badly wants the next president to be a Democrat there is obviously reason to worry, if not, perhaps, be "scared". McCain is competitive against any of the Democrats, unlike Romney.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies