Lieberman Rules Out VP Run With McCain
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:59:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Lieberman Rules Out VP Run With McCain
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Lieberman Rules Out VP Run With McCain  (Read 3717 times)
bbt
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 30, 2008, 02:33:48 AM »

Good Article

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080129/ap_on_el_pr/lieberman_mccain
politicaltipster
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 04:43:17 AM »

Still believe he will be McCain's VP.
perdedor

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 01:26:26 PM »
« Edited: January 31, 2008, 09:09:39 PM by Epro »

I would hope Lieberman would run with McCain. Two good things come of that; Lieberman's career is ruined and McCain has some splainin' to do in regards to picking Gore's ex-runningmate.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 07:47:19 PM »

Big deal. 'Twould've ne'er happened anyway.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 08:00:20 PM »

I would Lieberman would run with McCain. Two good things come of that; Lieberman's career is ruined

How so?
perdedor

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 10:30:32 PM »

I would hope Lieberman would run with McCain. Two good things come of that; Lieberman's career is ruined

How so?

He managed to retain his senate seat by fooling people into believing that while he was a more moderate, independent sort of Democrat...he was still a Democrat. That kind of goes out the window when you're the Republican candidate for Vice-President.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 10:51:14 PM »

Lieberman would have made a terrible running mate for McCain.
politicaltipster
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 01:29:55 PM »

I don't think that this has actually changed anything. Lieberman has simply repeated his denial while leaving the window open for running. No-one (with the exception of John Edwards) has ever got onto the bottom half of a ticket by actively campaigning for it.

I also believe that Ann Coulter's grab for attention has made a Lieberman ticket more likely. If McCain wins he will have done so in the face of the active opposition from the Republican 'base', proving that he owes them nothing (and he will also be p.ssed off at them).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 05:59:53 PM »

I would hope Lieberman would run with McCain. Two good things come of that; Lieberman's career is ruined

How so?

He managed to retain his senate seat by fooling people into believing that while he was a more moderate, independent sort of Democrat...he was still a Democrat. That kind of goes out the window when you're the Republican candidate for Vice-President.

Lieberman is 65.
Jeff from NC
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 09:33:36 PM »

Wouldn't Lieberman, who is quite liberal when it doesn't come to foreign policy, anger the ultra-conservatives even more?  The whole reason they don't like McCain is because of his non-foreign-policy positions.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 10:54:19 PM »

If John McCain becomes president, he will want to have Lieberman in the Senate, and Lieberman will not risk letting this seat go to some move.org candidate.

I don't think McCain is going to pick a sitting Senator. He'll want to keep as many friends in the Senate as he can.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 07:28:53 AM »

Were McCain in the unlikely event to select Lieberman as his running mate, McCain-Lieberman haven't a hope in hell of my securing my 'endorsement'

Yesterday's men - the pair of them

Lieberman blew the ship with me when he refused to launch an enquiry into the White House response to Hurricane Katrina. Obviously, more concerned with covering that Bush's ass than doing the right thing. Until then, as a  'hawk' myself, I had held Lieberman in high regard. It is with deep regret that I say not any more

Should Lieberman seek another term in 2012, don't expect me to root for him across the Pond

Dave
Mort from NewYawk
MortfromNewYawk

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 08:50:43 PM »

It would be a slap in the face to the economic conservatives McCain is desperately trying to court. It would end the Republican convention on a controversial note.

My dream ticket, though.

It would unite the two most capable and honest foreign policy hawks in the Senate.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 11:32:35 PM »

Lieberman blew the ship with me when he refused to launch an enquiry into the White House response to Hurricane Katrina.

Wait, so Lieberman was Chair of the Senate Committee on Hurricanes?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2008, 11:53:03 PM »

Agreed - it's too Unity 08ish - and that's just never gonna happen.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2008, 05:39:35 PM »

Lieberman blew the ship with me when he refused to launch an enquiry into the White House response to Hurricane Katrina.

Wait, so Lieberman was Chair of the Senate Committee on Hurricanes?

Lieberman is Chair of the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs

During the 2006 election, Lieberman, then Ranking Democrat, promised to hold hearings on how the Bush administration handled Hurricane Katrina if he was elected. He would be the head of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee. He would be the one that would make the decision on what hearings to hold and what documents to demand from the White House. He promised he would hold them accountable

Only for him to, subsequently, announce that he would hold no such hearings and that he would ask for none of the documents that could show how the administration mishandled the crisis

I thought the Senator a very honorable man until then Sad

Dave
The Hack Hater
AloneinOregon
Virgin Islands, British

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2008, 02:52:02 PM »

I know Lieberman endorsed McCain, but I also figured that the two would never run on the same ticket.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2008, 02:55:15 PM »

If this is true, this is very sad.  A McCain/Lieberman ticket would've have committed to McCain for sure.
politicaltipster
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2008, 03:59:56 PM »

""Hurricane Katrina Investigation: A Nation Still Unprepared. The response to Hurricane Katrina shook the public's confidence in the ability of government at all levels to protect its citizens in a crisis. Immediately after Hurricane Katrina hit the Gulf Coast in August of 2005, Senators Lieberman and Collins launched an investigation into government's response to the disaster.

By April 2006, the Committee held a total of 23 hearings, conducted formal interviews with more than 325 witnesses, and reviewed over 838,000 pages of documentation, all of which was reflected in the report "Hurricane Katrina: A Nation Still Unprepared." The 749-page report contained 88 recommendations for local, state, and federal governments to adopt in order to prevent a similar disastrous response to the next catastrophe. The report concluded that Katrina was the first catastrophe that tested all levels of government since 9/11, and all levels of government failed the test. Senator Lieberman also submitted additional views on the Administration's lack of cooperation with the Committee's investigation and the White House's leadership failures in Katrina. The report contained a series of recommendations, which Senators Lieberman and Collins set about to enact into law.""
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 08:27:27 AM »

""Hurricane Katrina Investigation: A Nation Still Unprepared. The response to Hurricane Katrina shook the public's confidence in the ability of government at all levels to protect its citizens in a crisis. Immediately after Hurricane Katrina hit the Gulf Coast in August of 2005, Senators Lieberman and Collins launched an investigation into government's response to the disaster.

By April 2006, the Committee held a total of 23 hearings, conducted formal interviews with more than 325 witnesses, and reviewed over 838,000 pages of documentation, all of which was reflected in the report "Hurricane Katrina: A Nation Still Unprepared." The 749-page report contained 88 recommendations for local, state, and federal governments to adopt in order to prevent a similar disastrous response to the next catastrophe. The report concluded that Katrina was the first catastrophe that tested all levels of government since 9/11, and all levels of government failed the test. Senator Lieberman also submitted additional views on the Administration's lack of cooperation with the Committee's investigation and the White House's leadership failures in Katrina. The report contained a series of recommendations, which Senators Lieberman and Collins set about to enact into law.""

But, under the direction of then Chair Sen. Susan Collins, it was a flawed investigation. Lieberman back in early 2006 requested that she as Chair subpoena documents and testimonies that were not forthcoming but his request was denied - and Lieberman, IIRC, was none too happy about this

That tells me the White House certainly had something to hide, something they went to all lengths with Sen. Collins' complicity to avoid being privy to the investigation and, thus, disclosed

My understanding is that Lieberman essentially made assurances that in the event of him being re-elected and were he to become Chair that he would subpoena, yet he, subsequently, ruled it out. That in itself is a betrayal Sad

That said, perhaps if Democrats' had cut Lieberman more slack (he's defense hawk, so what?), he'd have won the Democratic primary and not become, subsequently, beholden to the Republican votes, which helped him win the general

Dave
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies