2 students expelled from South Carolina school for kissing on the bus
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:59:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  2 students expelled from South Carolina school for kissing on the bus
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 2 students expelled from South Carolina school for kissing on the bus  (Read 1989 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 30, 2008, 09:17:15 PM »

The south proving itself to be a joke yet again: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,326657,00.html

Also note that unlike most of these ridiculous stories of the sort, they are in HIGH SCHOOL, not pre-teens.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 09:23:34 PM »

Bull****
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 09:26:32 PM »

The south proving itself to be a joke yet again: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,326657,00.html

Also note that unlike most of these ridiculous stories of the sort, they are in HIGH SCHOOL, not pre-teens.

I agree with the school's decision.  True they are almost adults as high school students, but they are not adults, yet.  I wish we could go back to the way it used to be, when it meant something to wait until you've met the one you are going to marry before you even kiss the girl.  It would make the first kiss so much more special, though I do understand youthful ambition.  Unfortunately, I have to admit, that I have failed in that regard.  I have already given away my first kiss, though that was to my ex-fiancee'.  I did kiss that girl, though, during the summer before my 8th grade year (1996) at a Christian Camp in southern Oklahoma no less, in the "tabernacle" which was the worship center.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 09:26:32 PM »

The south proving itself to be a joke yet again:

One school != the south.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 09:37:48 PM »

We fought the Civil War to keep this crap in our country?

I'm being facetious of course, but it's still ridiculous.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 09:43:22 PM »

We fought the Civil War to keep this crap in our country?

I'm being facetious of course, but it's still ridiculous.

Well, you're part of "this crap".
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 09:50:07 PM »

Nah. Austinites are sane. Tongue
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 10:08:36 PM »

And Austin is the capital of former Confederate state Texas. Get my drift?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 10:10:45 PM »

Horrific.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 10:28:08 PM »

The surprising part is that they weren't a gay couple; if they were I could have seen it. Tongue
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 10:40:50 PM »

Mind-numbing ridiculous.  I sometimes saw people kissing at my high school, and though it was against the rules, no one ever got in trouble for it.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 11:32:53 PM »

true, but a good portion of the South is like that.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 11:59:19 PM »

And a supposedly liberal arrogant Northerner is showing himself to be engaging in stereotypes about a third of the country yet again.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 02:31:48 AM »

The surprising part is that they weren't a gay couple; if they were I could have seen it. Tongue

If they were gay they would not have been expelled - they would have been beaten to death.
perdedor

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 02:41:29 AM »

And Austin is the capital of former Confederate state Texas. Get my drift?

Have you ever been to Austin? I swear to God, Travis County was stolen from somewhere in southern California. Nader pulled in 10% of the vote here in 2000. Make of that what you will.

Anyway, in regards to the topic at hand; this is a ridiculous thing to happen to people. Authoritarian prudery rears it's ugly head again.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 08:12:20 AM »

From the article:  "Goyner ... said he knows he was breaking a rule, but was shocked by the response from school officials."

If you break the rules, you suffer the consequences.  However, I think being expelled for the rest of the academic year is a bit extreme, especially when fighting probably just gets you two weeks suspension.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2008, 08:41:31 AM »

At MY high school (which is, no doubt, infinitely more cultured and open minded than those dirty racist backwards southern schools), when students were making out in the hallway, the teachers (especially the persnickety business teachers) would just say something like "Oh ish, go find a room to do that after school".

In reality and common sense, school officials here reserved expulsion for the worst of infractions like trying to set the school on fire or repeated fighting incidences or a bomb threat, etc.  Kissing was petty and resulted in a detention after the 2nd time IF the teacher enforced it.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2008, 09:56:25 AM »

From the article:  "Goyner ... said he knows he was breaking a rule, but was shocked by the response from school officials."

If you break the rules, you suffer the consequences.  However, I think being expelled for the rest of the academic year is a bit extreme, especially when fighting probably just gets you two weeks suspension.

The point is that the rule is absurd and constitutes abuse of youths under the control of these southern hick 'educators'.  The federal government should step in and disallow any punishment.  Armed force is the only way to deal with the South.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2008, 10:00:47 AM »

Then the law is an ass, my man, the law is an ass.

Seriously though your defense of "Its the law!", "Its the law!" is rather tiresome and sickening; under MODU logic then escaping slaves in the 1850s south should have held "responisible for their actions". Whatever that means. I know that is an extreme example; but there are good rules and there are bad rules. This is a clear example of the latter.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2008, 10:02:26 AM »

The point is that the rule is absurd and constitutes abuse of youths under the control of these southern hick 'educators'.  The federal government should step in and disallow any punishment.  Armed force is the only way to deal with the South.
"Every subjectivist is a tyrant. He believes himself to be the ultimate ruler of the universe. Beware the subjectivist, for against his injustice there is no recourse but force."
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2008, 10:31:43 AM »

Seriously though your defense of "Its the law!", "Its the law!" is rather tiresome and sickening; under MODU logic then escaping slaves in the 1850s south should have held "responisible for their actions". Whatever that means. I know that is an extreme example; but there are good rules and there are bad rules. This is a clear example of the latter.

*sigh*  "... your defense of ..."  I never said the laws/rules cannot/should not be changed.  I just seem to have to constantly remind the viper pit on here from time to time that people are punished because there is a law/rule in place.  They make it sound like these things are happening for no reason.  Well, there is a reason.  They broke the law/rule.  Yes, people are suppose to be responsible for their actions, and if their actions result in punishment, they have no one to blame but themselves.  If you've got a problem with that, go cry somewhere else.  It's not my job (or the government) to babysit you.  You (both you and people in general) are an "adult," so act like one.  So forgive me and get over yourself.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2008, 10:39:37 AM »

"Every subjectivist is a tyrant. He believes himself to be the ultimate ruler of the universe. Beware the subjectivist, for against his injustice there is no recourse but force."

Who are you labeling the 'subjectivist' here, me or the anti-kissing squad?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2008, 10:41:23 AM »

*sigh*  "... your defense of ..."  I never said the laws/rules cannot/should not be changed.  I just seem to have to constantly remind the viper pit on here from time to time that people are punished because there is a law/rule in place.  They make it sound like these things are happening for no reason.  Well, there is a reason.  They broke the law/rule.  Yes, people are suppose to be responsible for their actions, and if their actions result in punishment, they have no one to blame but themselves.  If you've got a problem with that, go cry somewhere else.  It's not my job (or the government) to babysit you.  You (both you and people in general) are an "adult," so act like one.  So forgive me and get over yourself.

Really? I would think enacting such silly laws is the epitome of some institution trying to act like a babysitter here.

Looking up www.dumblaws.com and going under Virginia I find there are laws prohibiting (or at least *were* - I think that site is a bit out of date, but that is irrelevant here) :
- Sex; except within marriage and with the Missionary position (and then only with the lights off)
- Trick or Treat during Halloween
- Tickling Women.
- Spitting on the Sidewalk

Of course whenever these laws are broken (do kids go trick+treating in Virginia, I wouldn't know?) the arguement you seem to be suggesting is that these kids should obey these laws as you don't think the government babysit them. What?

And none of these or any more absurd than the above.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2008, 11:02:41 AM »

And as I said (yes, I'm repeating myself):

- "I never said laws/rules cannot/should not be changed."
- "... if their actions result in punishment, they have no one to blame but themselves."

There are tons of antiquated laws in every state that just have never been removed, but they are enforced any more.  So if I child were to get a fine for trick-or-treating by a cop who decides to enforce the law (for example), the parent/child would have to contess it in court, and the judge would probably drop the charges.  However, the law is still valid on the books until it is removed.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2008, 02:28:57 PM »

What does this tell you about freedom? Pretty non-existent in some places

Dave
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »