Two Guesses (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:11:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Two Guesses (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Two Guesses  (Read 69113 times)
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« on: February 01, 2008, 03:11:21 PM »

Reasonable.  I would agree that the parties have not become stronger, rather the country has become more polarized, and that polarization has fallen along party lines, not necessarily strengthening the parties (or something like that).

When are you going to know for sure, so I can plan ahead.

If it's anything like like the last two, start looking at the off year elections.  My theory of a re-alignment period is that it takes 6 years.  In 1978, the Republicans scored some solid gains, and the newly elected Democrats elected were much more conservative.  That's the first sign. 

The second will be a radically different president and usually an electoral blowout.  Think 1932 or 1980.

I don't disagree, but I am curious as to why 2016, as opposed to 2012. Both McCain and Clinton could fit the role as the tail end of the current cycle of politics. Both Hoover and Carter were 1-term presidents before the respective realignments.

A second hypothesis would consider your former professor's view of current reality; he didn't see a realignment while it was happening. What if Obama is the nominee and sweeps in with an unusually large electoral vote this fall? Reagan was not expected to achieve the margin he did get in 1980. And 2006 can be looked at as a significant switch in Congress. Obama certainly has the big picture rhetoric one associates with a new political alignment, though it is premature to say if he would govern in a way that matches the words.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 12:09:06 AM »

The two ideas you gave us seems to me, at least, that there are two real possibilities-

- A new progressive era of class politics and victorian culture

I sincerely doubt THAT is ever going to happen.  Tongue

Ah, but think of the clothes!  I'm really looking forward to my monacle and mutton chops.

And the music!  "I am the Captain of the Pinafore..."

Bow, Bow, ye lower middle classes.  Bow, bow, ye tradesman, bow ye masses.

Every heart and every hand ... welcomes thee to fairyland. I did so enjoy designing lights back in '79 for the Peer and the Peri.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 10:34:31 PM »

I'll refine this prediction.  If Obama wins, the realignment begins in 2010. 

Are you talking about the final destruction of liberalism and start of the age of eugenics, preemptive "limited" nuclear war, fuedalization of the economy, theocracy, the mass forced repatriatriation of the remaining liberals and swarthy foreigners and the general birth of the Fourth Reich? Tongue

It's a political realignment.  I'm taking about voting patterns, candidate selection, policy changes.

I was debating part of this point with a Green Party candidate last night. His view was one of little difference between established parties, thus the need for a third (or beyond) party. I contended that the American system lent itself to the periodic regrouping of coalitions under the banner of the major parties.

In some sense American parties form their coalitions before the elections as opposed to creating a governing coalition afterward. We could well be due for a shuffling of those coalitions.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies