Missouri Governor 2008: Talen't wont run
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 11:00:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Missouri Governor 2008: Talen't wont run
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Missouri Governor 2008: Talen't wont run  (Read 6288 times)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 28, 2008, 11:24:07 AM »

By DAVID A. LIEB
Associated Press Writer

JEFFERSON CITY — State Treasurer Sarah Steelman said Friday that she will enter the Republican race for governor, the second candidate to do so since Gov. Matt Blunt’s surprise exit from the race.

Steelman plans to formally announce her gubernatorial candidacy Saturday at her brother’s home in Springfield.

She will join Lt. Gov. Peter Kinder in the Republican gubernatorial primary. Several others are still considering whether to run. But former Republican Sen. Jim Talent declared Friday that he definitely will not.

Attorney General Jay Nixon remains the only Democrat to declare his candidacy for governor, though a campaign spokesman for Democratic Secretary of State Robin Carnahan confirmed Friday that she is thinking about it.

Blunt’s decision not seek a second term has sent shock waves through Missouri politics. Numerous politicians who had planned to stay on the sidelines or seek re-election to their current offices are now dreaming bigger and trying to quickly decide whether to ramp up a campaign.

Just hours before Blunt announced his decision on Tuesday, Steelman had declared her intention to run again as treasurer. She did so in the kitchen of her parents home in Jefferson City, flanked by her family under a banner that declared “Power to the People.”

Now Steelman is converting the campaign theme to the governor’s race, again going to the home of a family member to relaunch her campaign.

“After earnest consideration, Treasurer Steelman believes that she can best serve the people of Missouri through the office of governor,” her campaign said in a written statement.

Talent, meanwhile, said he will not make his fourth statewide campaign since 2000, when he narrowly lost the governor’s race. Talent won election to the Senate in 2002 but then lost in 2006. He had probably the greatest statewide name recognition of the half-dozen Republicans considering the governor’s race. But until Friday, when he withdrew his name from the list, Talent had said nothing publicly.

“Since the governor’s announcement, I have received numerous inquiries from friends around the state about my interest in the governor’s race,” Talent said in a written statement. “However, in the expectation that I would not be seeking office in 2008, I have made commitments to my family, to the (Mitt) Romney for President campaign, and to other professional activities. I cannot reconcile running for governor now with those commitments.”

Among the other Republicans still considering a gubernatorial campaign are U.S. Rep. Kenny Hulshof, U.S. Rep. Jo Ann Emerson, U.S. Attorney Catherine Hanaway, Missouri House Speaker Rod Jetton and Missouri Senate Majority Leader Charlie Shields.

Emerson said she will announce whether she will run for governor on Monday.

U.S. Sen. Kit Bond, who hosted a conference call Wednesday with possible candidates and Republican Party leaders, told reporters Friday that he is not backing any one candidate for governor and is not discouraging anyone from running.

“I am a communicator and a facilitator, not a dictator,” Bond said.

While conventional wisdom might hold that Republicans are better off rallying around a single candidate instead of having a crowded primary, Bond said his own experience shows that isn’t always true. He ran for governor three times and won twice after defeating competitors in the Republican primary. The one time he didn’t face a primary opponent, he lost the general election.

“Nobody wants a primary, but sometimes they provide benefits,” Bond said. “We’ll see how it shakes out.”

Nixon has long been the only Democrat running for governor. But Carnahan is the first since Blunt’s announcement to acknowledge she is taking a fresh look at the race.

“She’s received several calls from people urging her to think about it,” said Carnahan spokesman Tony Wyche. “The political landscape in the state has gone through a major upheaval, so she’s just going to take a little bit of time here and think about it.”

Nixon had been campaigning against Blunt for several years before having to suddenly adjust his efforts. He has vowed to press on with essentially the same message.

“We recognize the secretary of state’s right to make her own decision about her future,” said Nixon campaign spokesman Oren Shur. But “we need to change from the policies that have held our state back these past three years, and Missourians know that Jay Nixon has the best experience and clearest vision to bring about that change.”

This is not the first time Carnahan has pondered running for governor.

In December 2006, Carnahan said she had seriously considered it but announced she would instead run for a second term as secretary of state in 2008. At the time, she cited personal reasons. She had just been engaged to be married and had just completed successful treatment for breast cancer.

Ultimately, Carnahan said in 2006, she decided that a highly competitive gubernatorial primary and general election would have been far more demanding — both personally and on her family — than a re-election bid as secretary of state.

Carnahan said then that she would support Nixon for governor.

http://www.allsaintsshop.co.uk/product/?1=1&area=M&category_id=10&prod_desc_id=5051214211411
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 11:32:28 AM »

Good, this will help us keep the seat.  I cannot imagine another Republican winning.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 11:44:17 AM »

I'm still shocked that Blunt is not running. I don't think he would win, but he was startin to gain some ground.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 12:32:34 PM »

Missouri Govenor 2008- Ince is running

Anthony Ince, a constitutionaliust from Mizzouri rasing 19.5$ in 1 year has annnounced his intetion to run for governor as a REPUBLICAN.
RBH

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 02:23:49 PM »

IN: Treasurer Sarah Steelman, Lt. Governor Peter Kinder
OUT: Sam Graves, Jo Ann Emerson
UNSURE: Rod Jetton, Kenny Hulshof
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 02:26:49 PM »

Good, this will help us keep the seat.  I cannot imagine another Republican winning.

I have trouble imagining Talent winning, at least if he debates as sloppily as he did in 2006.
RBH

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 02:29:19 PM »

a Kinder/Hulshof/Steelman primary would be interesting, as none of the candidates really have much of a base in SW MO.

Hulshof's strong areas would be NE MO (which doesn't really get out in Republican primaries) and STL (which has Republicans voting in the primary in St. Charles and St. Louis)

Steelman should carry most of the area between Springfield and Cape Girardeau.

Kinder should carry SE MO (which isn't a huge area for a GOP Primary.

St. Sen. Charlie Shields is also considering a run. He would do well in NW MO.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 02:52:55 PM »

Anthony Ince, a constitutionaliust from Mizzouri rasing 19.5$ in 1 year has annnounced his intetion to run for governor as a REPUBLICAN.

C. Anthony Ince is the only man to save Missouri.
RBH

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 03:21:07 PM »

Last I checked, his MEC committee wasn't active
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 03:25:17 PM »

Last time I chekced, your FACE committee wasn't active. None the less, C. Anthony Ince will be the greatest President of Missouri evah!
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 04:22:47 PM »

I still think Jay Nixon will win in November.  He's been running the longest, and already had a decent lead over Gov. Blunt.  It helps him even more that Jim Talent is not running.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 05:48:12 PM »

I'm still shocked that Blunt is not running. I don't think he would win, but he was startin to gain some ground.
He also raised  a whopping $10 million. There must have been some nasty skeletons in his closet...
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 07:48:42 PM »

Last time I chekced, your FACE committee wasn't active. None the less, C. Anthony Ince will be the greatest President of Missouri evah!

Because he believes in Representitive Democratcy?
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 11:21:43 AM »

By Jackie Kucinich
Posted: 01/29/08 12:01 AM [ET]

Rep. Jo Ann Emerson (R-Mo.) will not run for governor and instead seek reelection.

“I had a lot of encouragement, I had a lot of people say, ‘We love you in your job now and I think you should stay,’” Emerson said Monday in a conference call, adding that she made the decision over the weekend. The lawmaker stated she thought she could win the gubernatorial election and that she would make a great governor but added that her work in Congress was not yet done.

“One of the biggest priorities is the farm bill,” Emerson said, highlighting the legislation’s importance to her southern Missouri district.

She did not commit to endorsing a candidate in the open gubernatorial race. “I’m going to let this shake out a little bit because filing hasn’t even opened yet.”

Lt. Gov. Peter Kinder (R) and Treasurer Sarah Steelman (R) have declared their intention to run for the seat, which opened up when Gov. Matt Blunt (R) announced last week that he would not seek another term. It has been rumored that Rep. Kenny Hulshof (R-Mo.) could also run for the seat. Emerson is a centrist who is serving her sixth term. She was reelected by 72 percent in 2006 to serve a district that heavily favored President Bush in 2004. Bush defeated Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) 63 to 36 percent.

As of the September filing deadline, the lawmaker raised $303,940 for her reelection campaign.

http://thehill.com/campaign-2008/emerson-wont-run-for-missouri-governorship-2008-01-29.html
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 04:27:55 PM »

I never realized "Talen't" was a contraction.  What is it short for?
Rococo4

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2008, 08:58:36 PM »

Talent needs to wait to run again statewide.  he ran into the D buzzsaw of 06 and wasnt a whole lot he could do - McCaskill wouldnt have beaten him any other cycle, but thats the way it goes.  Plus I think he is still hoping something w/ Romney works out, though that is looking increasingly unlikely.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2008, 06:41:41 PM »

Too bad, I'd like to see him lose a third time.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2008, 03:50:01 PM »

I never realized "Talen't" was a contraction.  What is it short for?

'Talenot", presumably.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2008, 05:28:36 PM »

"By the blessed piper that played before Moses, here's an Irish Turk!"

"Stop that!" ejaculated the slipper merchant; "av ye call me names, I'll have a go at yez av ye was as big as a house."

"Ye're Paddy from Cork," retorted the diver.

"Niver," protested the merchant, stoutly.

"Get along wid yez," retorted the diver, "ye Mahommedan Mormonite; now I'll take short odds to any amount up to a farden that that brogue came from Galway. Tell the truth, and shame the ould gintleman av ye talen't before seen."
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2008, 04:25:38 PM »

“I had a lot of encouragement, I had a lot of people say, ‘We love you in your job now and I think you should stay,’” Emerson said Monday in a conference call, adding that she made the decision over the weekend.

Does this site have icons for little barfing smily faces?
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2008, 01:26:53 PM »

Peter Kinder has withdrawn:

http://www.pubdef.net/2008/02/kinder-not-running-for-gov.html

I wonder if that's a record for shortest gubernatorial campaign in Missouri.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2008, 03:27:11 PM »

Peter Kinder has withdrawn:

http://www.pubdef.net/2008/02/kinder-not-running-for-gov.html

I wonder if that's a record for shortest gubernatorial campaign in Missouri.
Possibly, but I believe its still longer than Hoeffel's bid to be PA's Lt. Gov. in 2006.
Mr. Paleoconservative
Reagan Raider
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: 5.30

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2008, 03:30:51 AM »

All there really is that remains to be said is that unless there is some unexpected x-factor, Jay Nixon will be the next Governor of the Show Me State.   
Spaghetti Cat
Driedapples
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2008, 08:46:14 PM »

I think Emerson could have easlily won.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies