What are your plans for Super Tuesday/Super Wednesday morning? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:47:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  What are your plans for Super Tuesday/Super Wednesday morning? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What are your plans for Super Tuesday/Super Wednesday morning?  (Read 2924 times)
migrendel
Italy

« on: February 04, 2008, 12:22:39 AM »

I intend to vote for Hillary Clinton on Tuesday.  I feel that she is intellectually, ideologically, and temperamentally best suited for the office.  Admittedly she is shrewish and self-aggrandizing, but her drive to succeed will be the source of her distinction, as it has been in the past.  Her experience as first lady has given her a clear picture of the dirtiness of the game, and she is someone who knows how to fight with bare knuckles.  She will be able to accept partial victories and cut deals, having been chastened by the Hillarycare humiliation.  For example, I'm sure she knows full well that, owing to the filibuster, her Iraq withdrawal plan will never get passed (I doubt we'll get out within five years), but she will be able to make material improvements in our foreign policy short of total success.
On the other hand, I'm afraid to say that I don't find Barack Obama inspiring.  His constant professions of being a pure, uncorrupted voice in the political wilderness, someone who can inspire the "audacity of hope" strike me as sanctimonious palaver.  When he has to crawl in mud, as any president must, his claims to being a metaphor in the flesh, an embodiment of our highest civic virtues, will only look ridiculous.  His perorations (Chris Matthews acts as if Obama is the new Churchill) might wow them in Des Moines, but he hasn't the substance for policymaking.
I realize Obama might get the nomination, and I will vote for him over whomever emerges from the Republican House of Horrors, but it will be with a heavy heart.  Hillary, the woman who has spent her whole life trimming her own coat, now seems like just the woman for the job.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies