who do you THINK will win the Democratic nomination?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:22:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  who do you THINK will win the Democratic nomination?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: who do you THINK will win the Democratic nomination? [last Intrade transaction price in brackets]
Barack Obama [53.8]

Hillary Clinton [46.1]

Al Gore [1.1]

other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: who do you THINK will win the Democratic nomination?  (Read 3703 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2008, 11:01:36 PM »

I'm still going to say Hillary, but it's pretty much a complete tossup in my mind right now.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2008, 11:07:12 PM »

The way things are going (Obama has probably raised around 10 million so far this month) he will always have a monetary advantage as long as he is viable. He should spend it on building up his Texas and Ohio organization because if he wins those he has the nomination.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2008, 01:11:27 PM »

I think they would understand that, after such a divisive primary, neither candidate would really be viable for a Presidential run (Obama not immediately and Clinton never at all). And they would fear irritating the supporters of the candidate not chosen.

Honestly, I think it would just irritate the supporters of *both* candidates if their candidate had to take a backseat to someone who wasn't even on the ballot in the primaries.  I don't see either Clinton or Obama giving up unless they have to, and I can't see the Dem. leadership pulling the rug out from under both of them.  It would look like they were overruling the voters (which they would be).  Better to just try to discern some kind of "winner" out of the primary process, and then get behind that person.

Maybe. I think Obama would step aside as long as he were guaranteed the VP slot and the replacement was not a machine/insider candidate. But maybe I'm holding him in higher esteem than I should.

I agree with Morden.  The remaining undecided superdelegates will line up behind whoever is leading after the primaries are finished.  I don't think the pledged delegate count is going to be so close going into the convention that there will need to be some sort of compromise candidate.  And even if it is I think the superdelegates would probably pick whichever candidate they feel has the best shot at the GE.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies