God is not happy?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:25:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  God is not happy?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Do you think it is a punishment from God?
Yes, really
Yes, maybe
Yes, for joke
No, but it could have been
What? Hahahahahahaha
The one who has open this topic shouldn't joke with this
I don't want to vote but I think it is interesting to see the result of this poll
I just want to see the result of this poll without voting
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: God is not happy?  (Read 5930 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2008, 09:42:45 PM »

I wonder what God looks like. I bet he is 7-foot-tall, has long grey/silver hair and carries a giant sword longer than he is.

Sephiroth

That's right! He's bad ass, ain't he?

no

Who do you think is badder ass than him? Kuja? Hmmmm...maybe God looks like Kefka.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2008, 09:52:08 PM »

I wonder what God looks like. I bet he is 7-foot-tall, has long grey/silver hair and carries a giant sword longer than he is.

Sephiroth

no

Who do you think is badder ass than him? Kuja? Hmmmm...maybe God looks like Kefka.

South Park already has shown us what God looks like, and we all know South Park doesn't lie.

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2008, 09:57:03 PM »

Sephiroth

no

South Park already has shown us what God looks like, and we all know South Park doesn't lie.

...but Sephiroth is cooler than that.

NOW THAT's WHAT GOD LOOKS LIKE TO ME!
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2008, 07:32:25 AM »

Oh sure, from the perspective of your inferior, mortal eyes. But from the perspective of the Almighty, Sephiroth looks like a wanker.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2008, 12:47:34 PM »

Is this thread really necessary? I'm offended actually. I have friends that go to Union University. 7 were hospitalized, and one  is still in ICU.  These are the worst twisters to hit the US in 20 years by the way.

Please, understand the spirit of this topic, there is actually not the slightest offense to the victims of the tornadoes and I give my encouragements for the best to all of them.

Here it is just spoken about the interpretation of such events. As some seriously affirm that this sort of phenomenas are "punishment from God", I think it's good to speak about it and interesting to see the reactions, especially to see if some are able to understand the ironical ton of such or such words. I ironically linked it to the campaign and its recent results cause it happened during "Super Tuesday".

Be sure it is important to me to respect the faith and the damages of the others, and until now, personally, I actually didn't see any offensive or disrespectful reactions to this on this thread, just irony...
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2008, 04:56:02 PM »

Most overrated villain ever.

Kefka is what it's all about.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2008, 05:34:59 PM »

Interestingly, I have run into a few fundamentalist christians who have told me that God sent the hurricaine to destroy New Orleans to smite the homosexuals and depraved mardi gras partiers.

That's one the Talibagelicals trot out after most disasters.  I think they are getting smarter or dying off, however.  Falwell and Kennedy are dead and Pat "send money" Robertson has been remarkably silent of late.

My sister goes to Rod Parsley's church in Ohio, though -- and they were all over Katrina.  "Those people" are being punished for their voodoo cult, their tolerance of homosexuality and their past Democratic voting habits.  As sis put it, "God is cleaning house". 

I need to ask her if the fundamentalist churches that were destroyed in the recent tornadoes were a punishment from her God.  My guess is she would say it was a Satanic attack -- or that the people in those churches were not "baptised in the Holy Ghost".

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2008, 09:25:55 PM »

Most overrated villain ever.

Kefka is what it's all about.

You and Aizen. What's the big deal about a clown? I guess he would make a good neo-clown. John McCain/ Kefka Palazzo 2008.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2008, 12:59:37 PM »

Interestingly, I have run into a few fundamentalist christians who have told me that God sent the hurricaine to destroy New Orleans to smite the homosexuals and depraved mardi gras partiers.

Of course, I don't believe that had anything to do with it: it's just normal gyrations of the earth's atmosphere made worse by global warming. 

Of course, when it happens to these people they are the first ones with their hands out claiming they are victims.  The sad part is, people like that make up about 1/4 of the Republican Party.

The statistics I have and which often come back doesn't give 1/4 of GOP but more 1/4 of the US population with 70 to 80 millions of "born again evangelicals" for 300 millions of US citizens.

I need to ask her if the fundamentalist churches that were destroyed in the recent tornadoes were a punishment from her God.  My guess is she would say it was a Satanic attack -- or that the people in those churches were not "baptised in the Holy Ghost".

I also expect the argument of the "satanic attack" when peoples who think about such event to be a "punishment from God" are touched by it.

Well, in this way, unluckily, it is impossible to discuss, to argue,  there is just to hope that peoples who go in such convictions don't become a majority.

I have here an other statistic which says that the number of megachurches in the US which was 650 in 2000 has became 1210 in 2005 (data from the Hartford Institute for Religion Research). Such a 5 years progression!

To hope doesn't necessarily means to wait. I think it is really necessary to understand why more and more peoples take such "dark illuminated" full irrational ways and I think it is necessary in the way to try to find alighted solutions to create the best future possible. Wow! What a job for the years to come!
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2008, 01:59:23 PM »

Of course, I don't believe that had anything to do with it: it's just normal gyrations of the earth's atmosphere made worse by global warming. 

Of course, when it happens to these people they are the first ones with their hands out claiming they are victims.  The sad part is, people like that make up about 1/4 of the Republican Party.

The statistics I have and which often come back doesn't give 1/4 of GOP but more 1/4 of the US population with 70 to 80 millions of "born again evangelicals" for 300 millions of US citizens.

I also expect the argument of the "satanic attack" when peoples who think about such event to be a "punishment from God" are touched by it.

Well, in this way, unluckily, it is impossible to discuss, to argue,  there is just to hope that peoples who go in such convictions don't become a majority.

I have here an other statistic which says that the number of megachurches in the US which was 650 in 2000 has became 1210 in 2005 (data from the Hartford Institute for Religion Research). Such a 5 years progression!

To hope doesn't necessarily means to wait. I think it is really necessary to understand why more and more peoples take such "dark illuminated" full irrational ways and I think it is necessary in the way to try to find alighted solutions to create the best future possible. Wow! What a job for the years to come!

Not all evangelicals are like this, though, in their defense.
The Hack Hater
AloneinOregon
Virgin Islands, British

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2008, 04:21:40 PM »

No, not really. Why  would God decide to wreak havoc and destruction in the Bible belt of all places? This is a moderately to deeply religious area of the country.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2008, 07:08:01 PM »

Absolutely correct, Soulty. 
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2008, 11:57:31 AM »

Absolutely correct, Soulty. 

So, let's hope they don't all become like this, I mean taking fully irrational illuminated dark ways.

As I see here a danger for the future around the world, which is their hunting ground, I maintain that it would be a must to understand the cause of this and to find the best solutions to create the best future as possible and I think everyone at his own scale should try to think about it...
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2008, 02:25:42 PM »

No, not really. Why  would God decide to wreak havoc and destruction in the Bible belt of all places? This is a moderately to deeply religious area of the country.

How about because they're a bunch of hypocritical false prophets spewing the most reprehensible sort of wankery?
The Hack Hater
AloneinOregon
Virgin Islands, British

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2008, 02:50:14 PM »

All too true. Not to say there aren't some honest ones, but a lot of them seem to think every bad act is a "judgment of God"
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2008, 05:31:34 PM »

All too true. Not to say there aren't some honest ones, but a lot of them seem to think every bad act is a "judgment of God"

There are lots of honest Evangelical people.  Most are.  Unfortunately, many (most?) are easily led, molded and pretty submissive to the people they deem leaders. 

But I am very encouraged by "rebel" Evangelicals like Tony Campolo, Rich Cizik, Cal DeWitt, Ron Sider, Brian McClaren, William Willimon, Roberta Hestenes, Stanley Grenz and Rebecca Merrill-Groothuis are starting to get their voices out.  There are already a number of green Evangelical groups.  I wouldn't be surprised to soon see an "Evangelicals for Peace" movement get going.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2008, 06:29:21 PM »

There are lots of honest Evangelical people.  Most are.  Unfortunately, many (most?) are easily led, molded and pretty submissive to the people they deem leaders. 

But I am very encouraged by "rebel" Evangelicals like Tony Campolo, Rich Cizik, Cal DeWitt, Ron Sider, Brian McClaren, William Willimon, Roberta Hestenes, Stanley Grenz and Rebecca Merrill-Groothuis are starting to get their voices out.  There are already a number of green Evangelical groups.  I wouldn't be surprised to soon see an "Evangelicals for Peace" movement get going.

I actually read an article in the Atlantic about the moderation of the Evangelical Movement.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2008, 12:19:11 PM »
« Edited: February 13, 2008, 12:25:22 PM by tsionebreicruoc »

I agree, I also believe in this "new evangelical wave" (I saw on US TV I can get on the Net, when my computer allow me, that they're called "new breed of evangelicals") and I think this move is very important, I think they will make evangelicals more consensual and spread more and more their move like it. Bush's evangelicals are done, that's past.

On the other hand, according to what I can hear or read here or there, I think there is also a new conservative wave of evangelicals.

I think the future will be a mix of both and I think that will strongly work, in and out the US.

The point on the one I think everyone should worry, or at least should think about, it is the fact that no matter they are conservative or not, evangelicals more or less refuge themselves in emotion and irrational, they follow a sort of charismatic way of life which step by step make dying the thought.

Well, currently, it's still ok, this "new breed of evangelicals" is in the spotlights and try to invent something, everyone can still hope about this. But if ever there are some "world shaking" (big war, economical crisis, else) I expect that a lot of peoples who are already evangelicals, and some who are not, will go further and further in this sort of emotional irrational way of life.

To me, evangelicals are not the cause of such things but the consequence.

To me, the cause is the fact that peoples, around the world, rich or poor, drug themselves by emotions, are lost in the mess that become the current "global society", don't know where all of this go, want the back of some clear rules, want to hope in something, want to full their spiritual dimension, want to explore without borders their irrational part which has been a long time mocked by a "modern rational thought", they are fed up with thinking they want to feel, they want to link themselves with eachothers in joy and happiness, they want to sing together, they want to forget all their problems like it, they want... evangelicals!

And as more and more peoples are like it around the world I think more and more will want evangelicals and I see here something about it would be could to think in the way to prepare the best future as possible. Because if effectively a majority of people take such a way, I let you imagine the face of the society and of the human being...

Hey! They think Jesus will come back and rule all the problems! Why do caring about! Let's believe in Jesus! And more strongly we abandon our mind in Him, more surely he will come back and rule what we are no more able to think about!

Well, to let them take this way, we should be sure that he will come back. As I'm far to think he will, I prefer to wonder about other ways for the future...

With the hope that others know what I want to mean.
The Hack Hater
AloneinOregon
Virgin Islands, British

« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2008, 07:24:19 PM »

So in other words, so evangelicals will be more concerned with things like helping peoples thna abortion and gay marriage? Huckabee then seems to represent partially"new wave" except for being a social conservative. It still sounds like the votes could be a lot more flexible then, in the sense that they could be spread across both parties.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2008, 04:41:09 PM »

Other reason for a punishment from "God"?

God did kill them, but out of mercy, not punishment, to spare them from reading this thread.my posts
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies