Feb. 9th primaries & caucuses--Dem. results thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:39:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Feb. 9th primaries & caucuses--Dem. results thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18
Author Topic: Feb. 9th primaries & caucuses--Dem. results thread  (Read 18629 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: February 09, 2008, 11:00:31 PM »

I am listening to Obama. Does Obama ever say anything other  than generalities?  Where's the beef? 
He just spoke specifically about making college more affordable, off the top of my head.

How?  Well, I guess through giving away more money, but the specifics of the giving away of money would be nice.
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #301 on: February 09, 2008, 11:00:39 PM »

I am listening to Obama. Does Obama ever say anything other  than generalities?  Where's the beef? 
He just spoke specifically about making college more affordable, off the top of my head.

"We need to bring health care to all Americans . . . we need to improve the quality of life in this country . . . we need to make college more affordable!"
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #302 on: February 09, 2008, 11:01:49 PM »

How?  Well, I guess through giving away more money, but the specifics of the giving away of money would be nice.

He spoke about a year in public service would allow the government to fund for college tuition.
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #303 on: February 09, 2008, 11:02:33 PM »

Obama is an excellent cult leader.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #304 on: February 09, 2008, 11:03:34 PM »

How?  Well, I guess through giving away more money, but the specifics of the giving away of money would be nice.

He spoke about a year in public service would allow the government to fund for college tuition.

I couldn't tell if he was for making it mandatory for all those going to college or only for those wanting the extra money from the government for college though. I'm hoping it's the latter, as I'm not a fan of the idea of mandatory service.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #305 on: February 09, 2008, 11:03:39 PM »

Yeah and McCain's speeches (which are dull as hell) are really specific? Give me a break. No candidate does that on speeches like this.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #306 on: February 09, 2008, 11:03:52 PM »

Delegates Tonight:

Washington:
Obama 35     Clinton 14     Undecided 29
Nebraska:
Obama 16     Clinton 17     Undecided 01
Louisiana:
Obama 23     Clinton 15     Undecided 18
Virgin Islands:
Obama 03     Clinton 00     Undecided 00
Total:
Obama 77     Clinton 46     Undecided 48
OBAMA +31
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #307 on: February 09, 2008, 11:04:01 PM »

"He spoke about a year in public service would allow the government to fund for college tuition."

Well that is more specific. How much will  that cost?  Public service for a year will cost what, and then free tuition will cost what? And how is it paid for?  In fact, how much is Obama going to cost in toto, if he gets all he wants in toto?  Just asking? 
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #308 on: February 09, 2008, 11:04:58 PM »

Yeah and McCain's speeches (which are dull as hell) are really specific? Give me a break. No candidate does that on speeches like this.

McCain is not promising me free mistresses. In fact, he is promising sacrifice.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #309 on: February 09, 2008, 11:05:00 PM »

"He spoke about a year in public service would allow the government to fund for college tuition."

Well that is more specific. How much will  that cost?  Public service for a year will cost what, and then free tuition will cost what? And how is it paid for?  In fact, how much is Obama going to cost in toto, if he gets all he wants in toto?  Just asking? 

You expect that in a stump speech? I think you're just looking for excuses to attack Obama.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #310 on: February 09, 2008, 11:05:32 PM »

Is there anything on his web site about it?

I don't care much for vagueness in speeches, but damn, if he were to answer that in a stump speech...seriously.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #311 on: February 09, 2008, 11:05:45 PM »

I don't get the connection.  Is that forced public service or what (i.e. slave labor) that will free up government funding, or am I missing something?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #312 on: February 09, 2008, 11:06:05 PM »

McCain is not promising me free mistresses. In fact, he is promising sacrifice.

Obama is promising free mistresses? SWEET! Cheesy
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #313 on: February 09, 2008, 11:06:05 PM »

Obama is the last person I think of when it comes to cult follows in this campaign [Ron Paul....HONESTLY seriously?]

Its like you do your part for the government, and the government will do their part for you. I think he mentions something like 2000 in tuition fees maybe? I forgot. His plan sounded alot like Edward's plan. I really like it though, its a fair deal honestly.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #314 on: February 09, 2008, 11:06:36 PM »

You expect that in a stump speech? I think you're just looking for excuses to attack Obama.

I like Obama personally, but I have never heard any beef from him really, other than some tax the rich stuff for his medical insurance program. But now there is so much more to pay for. Maybe we can tax the Saudis or something.
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #315 on: February 09, 2008, 11:07:51 PM »

Obama is the last person I think of when it comes to cult follows in this campaign [Ron Paul....HONESTLY seriously?]

Okay, Ron Paul is first.  But come on . . . the last person you think of?  Just look at some of his followers on this forum.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #316 on: February 09, 2008, 11:08:15 PM »

I don't get the connection.  Is that forced public service or what (i.e. slave labor) that will free up government funding, or am I missing something?

Like military service, or community service or something like that. Its not forced either, you can choose whether you want to go to college or not...its not up to the government to decide that.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #317 on: February 09, 2008, 11:08:22 PM »

Obama campaign estimates:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Obama 103, Clinton 58
Obama +45
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #318 on: February 09, 2008, 11:10:02 PM »

How?  Well, I guess through giving away more money, but the specifics of the giving away of money would be nice.

My 15 year old daughter watched a couple of minutes of the speech. Her unsolicited comment was "That's going to cost a lot."
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #319 on: February 09, 2008, 11:11:08 PM »

Okay, Ron Paul is first.  But come on . . . the last person you think of?  Just look at some of his followers on this forum.

I wouldnt see it as a cult following. Hes just a candidate people can get excited about, I dont think theres been this much excitement about a young candidate since JFK.

Ron Paul is different though.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #320 on: February 09, 2008, 11:12:54 PM »

Like military service, or community service or something like that. Its not forced either, you can choose whether you want to go to college or not...its not up to the government to decide that.

That really explains nothing, but thanks for trying!

My guess is what you are trying to say is that if you go do military service or community service, we (the government) will pay for your education.  Of course, the government already does that for the military, so...
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #321 on: February 09, 2008, 11:14:41 PM »

That really explains nothing, but thanks for trying!

My guess is what you are trying to say is that if you go do military service or community service, we (the government) will pay for your education.  Of course, the government already does that for the military, so...

Its hard to explain, public service to your country. You pick it apart and make a conclusion yourself then.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #322 on: February 09, 2008, 11:16:05 PM »

Sam, from the Barack Obama website:
As someone who just got done filling out the FAFSA and other financial aid forms, the second bullet is particularly awesome.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #323 on: February 09, 2008, 11:16:34 PM »

She doesn't sound normal at all. Has she seen a therapist? Smiley
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #324 on: February 09, 2008, 11:16:45 PM »

It's not the government shelling out money, it's a tax credit. From his website:

Create the American Opportunity Tax Credit: Obama will make college affordable for all Americans by creating a new American Opportunity Tax Credit. This universal and fully refundable credit will ensure that the first $4,000 of a college education is completely free for most Americans, and will cover two-thirds the cost of tuition at the average public college or university and make community college tuition completely free for most students. Obama will also ensure that the tax credit is available to families at the time of enrollment by using prior year's tax data to deliver the credit when tuition is due.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies