Official Maine Caucus Results Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:55:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Official Maine Caucus Results Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12
Author Topic: Official Maine Caucus Results Thread  (Read 19619 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: February 10, 2008, 08:07:57 PM »

Obama, the only candidate who promises to rename October to 'Barack-tober', pulls out another surprise win...
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #251 on: February 10, 2008, 08:18:35 PM »

91% reporting

Obama 58.63%
Clinton 40.74%

Slight Obama gain...from like two precincts.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #252 on: February 10, 2008, 09:16:53 PM »

By the way, CNN finally put the Obama victory on their main page, after it could be suitably ignored behind the Grammys.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #253 on: February 10, 2008, 09:29:22 PM »

anybody get the feeling that the newsies are all supporting Obama?  well, except that 2% that are republican.  actually, even many of them are supporting Obama as well.

Almost makes ya want to root secretly for Clinton.  Almost.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #254 on: February 10, 2008, 09:33:27 PM »

anybody get the feeling that the newsies are all supporting Obama?  well, except that 2% that are republican.  actually, even many of them are supporting Obama as well.

MSNBC seems titled a bit towards Obama I'll admit but CNN seems strong Clinton as does Fox News (For different reasons)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #255 on: February 10, 2008, 09:34:22 PM »

Holy Obama-heavy update Batman

95% reporting

Obama 59.47%
Clinton 39.93%
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #256 on: February 10, 2008, 09:35:51 PM »

Yes! Come On Obama, 59.50%
Angel of Death
« Reply #257 on: February 10, 2008, 09:35:58 PM »

If it doesn't change any delegate allocation, it won't matter that much.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #258 on: February 10, 2008, 09:39:15 PM »

MSNBC seems titled a bit towards Obama I'll admit but CNN seems strong Clinton as does Fox News (For different reasons)

The early years of an Obama Presidency would be extremely dangerous for America. Consider the ingredients:

1. A new President with a unified majority who has legions of fanatical supporters intoxicated by their huge crowds and his empty slogans;

2. An overwhelmingly favorable media and press environment;

3. An extremist and intolerant far-left wing "grassroots" backing him

4. All around a man with only two years of federal elective experience

The thing is I'd still go through hell for him against McCain, but I go in with my eyes open. I would hope other Democrats do as well.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #259 on: February 10, 2008, 09:40:32 PM »

95% reporting

Obama 59.47%
Clinton 39.93%
Stay below 60% please. I don't want my prediction to be wrong. Tongue
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #260 on: February 10, 2008, 09:44:24 PM »

John Knutson, the chairman of the Maine Democratic Party, said Thursday he will support the candidate who wins the majority of the vote in Maine.
Add another superdelegate to Obama.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #261 on: February 10, 2008, 09:45:55 PM »

95% reporting

Obama 59.47%
Clinton 39.93%

Must have been Portland. I can't think of anywhere else both Obama-friendly enough and large enough to cause a swing like that this late.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #262 on: February 10, 2008, 09:46:53 PM »

Ironically, FOX has seemed to me to be the most balanced on the Democratic side, although generally Democratic candidates and elections get less air time overall than on the other stations and than compared to the Republican candidates and elections (playing to their audience).
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #263 on: February 10, 2008, 09:46:58 PM »

The early years of an Obama Presidency would be extremely dangerous for America. Consider the ingredients:

1. A new President with a unified majority who has legions of fanatical supporters intoxicated by their huge crowds and his empty slogans;

The thing is I'd still go through hell for him against McCain, but I go in with my eyes open. I would hope other Democrats do as well.

Not that I don't enjoy healthy debate, but what does that have to do with the quoted post or this topic?  Tongue
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #264 on: February 10, 2008, 09:56:21 PM »

95% reporting

Obama 59.47%
Clinton 39.93%
Stay below 60% please. I don't want my prediction to be wrong. Tongue

I don't think there's any way he'll actually get above 60% with only 5% to go.  It's clearly possible for him to round up to 60%, but not actually be above 60%.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #265 on: February 10, 2008, 09:57:38 PM »

Not that I don't enjoy healthy debate, but what does that have to do with the quoted post or this topic?  Tongue

The post was about the media's bias. I have never seen more positive coverage of any Presidential candidate as long as I remember, particularly in the final week of January. The only thing similar to it was coverage of Bush in the run-up to the Iraq war. Back then, the blogosphere was still conservative. Echo chamber; fanaticism; suppression of dissenting voices... all too familiar.

Such high expectations are never met.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #266 on: February 10, 2008, 10:05:35 PM »

Beet, "extremely dangerous" is empty rhetoric and you know it. Also, Obama's served more than two years.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #267 on: February 10, 2008, 10:06:53 PM »

99% reporting

Numbers unchanged for some reason
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #268 on: February 10, 2008, 10:10:13 PM »

Oh, hold on my dear friend Beet!!

Now, I realize that you are a Clintonista and that this will be very hard for you to understand, but don't worry, I want to help you!

Now, Barack Obama was elected to the United States Senate in 2004. This means he would have taken office in January 2005.

So, if he were elected to the Presidency this year, then he would take office in January 2009. Alright, now we have two numbers. We're going to do what is called a math problem! Okay, let's get out our kindergarten math book.

Alright, what we want to look up is a thing called subtraction. We want to subtract 2005 from 2009. Those are two very big scary numbers, but don't worry, I'll make it easier for you because I want to you to understand. Let us use the numbers 5 and 9.

Okay, so, 9 minus 5 is what we want to calculate. The answer to this is 4, not 2. Okay, hold up your hands and I will help you understand. Put up 9 of your fingers, now put down 5. You have 4 left!!! Now, keep those 4 on one hand and put back 2 on the other and we can compare. 4 is bigger than 2. Obama would have 4 years of elective federal experience, not 2! See, you can do it, Beet! Congratulations!!
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #269 on: February 10, 2008, 10:16:15 PM »

Ironically, FOX has seemed to me to be the most balanced on the Democratic side, although generally Democratic candidates and elections get less air time overall than on the other stations and than compared to the Republican candidates and elections (playing to their audience).

yeah seriously I noticed  that too: CNN Headline News has had wall-to-wall Joran Van der Sloot confession coverage all day and MSNBC is showing prison documentaries.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #270 on: February 10, 2008, 10:17:51 PM »

Beet, "extremely dangerous" is empty rhetoric and you know it. Also, Obama's served more than two years.

Go in with your eyes open. Don't expect a perfect man; don't expect a savior. Don't expect everyone to rally around him as it seems like they do at his rallies. Don't expect the media coverage to remain as positive as it is. Do expect some level of disillusionment, but you still support a great candidate who would, in my estimation, make a great President.

"Extremely dangerous" is not empty rhetoric. Obama is extremely charismatic, but relatively inexperienced. He has had a lot of success in a very short time, and it would be folly to expect that it does not effect him, as it effects anyone. Any time people rally around a politician like this in this manner there is a danger.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #271 on: February 10, 2008, 10:26:03 PM »

Obama is extremely charismatic, but relatively inexperienced. He has had a lot of success in a very short time, and it would be folly to expect that it does not effect him, as it effects anyone.

Experience is extremely overrated, judgement is much more important. As has been mentioned many times before, the Bush adminstration was among the most experienced in our nation's history.

The truth is that American voters aren't looking for the same old experienced Washington politicians at this point in history.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #272 on: February 10, 2008, 10:36:26 PM »

Obama is extremely charismatic, but relatively inexperienced. He has had a lot of success in a very short time, and it would be folly to expect that it does not effect him, as it effects anyone.

Experience is extremely overrated, judgement is much more important. As has been mentioned many times before, the Bush adminstration was among the most experienced in our nation's history.

The truth is that American voters aren't looking for the same old experienced Washington politicians at this point in history.

What he said on the Daily Show about Rummy should really be his mantra. So you are expirenced. Expierienced at what?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #273 on: February 11, 2008, 12:20:20 AM »

Beet, I know we have our disagreements, but on this matter you are very wise.

Of course, I still haven't made up my mind whether Hillary or Obama is actually the stronger candidate yet, so maybe the scenario isn't what would happen, but who knows...
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #274 on: February 11, 2008, 12:36:53 AM »

Any time people rally around a politician like this in this manner there is a danger.
Which is why I'm seeing Huey Long- Obama parallels... I'm worried that a solid contingent of Democratic voters, the young, in particular, see Obama as a messianic political figure who can deliver a panacea to all that ills our nation. The only times in recent U.S history when a President has delivered on the type of massive reform Obama is promising occurred during the Great Depression and after LBJ's landslide 1964 victory.

Unless the Democrats can win 60 seats in the U.S Senate, funding for  universal health care, entitlement reform, and renewable energy infrastructure investments will reaming obstructed by a weakened yet still intransigent Republican minority.

What happens when the embodiment of perfection makes a critical judgment error? Kennedy, who had 14 years of federal experience to Obama's 3, made several foreign and domestic policy blunders early in his administration. If Obama makes similar mistakes, how will his supporters react? Will his hubris as a candidate make it harder for him to negotiate with Congressional leaders? Will personal jealous from his former Senate colleagues impeded efforts at reform? (Never underestimate the political importance of personal connections.)

The only thing that's certain to me is that I don't want Hillary Clinton back in the White House.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies