Idea for running elections (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:19:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  Idea for running elections (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Idea for running elections  (Read 21961 times)
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« on: February 17, 2008, 10:10:00 PM »

Well since it seems like people are interested in this again I would be happy to provide, ie make up, demographic data, economic data, etc. that you need in order to create a true representation of what the political geography looks like.

Also if it does seem like this is actually going to take off, and I have time, I will write up the history that I laid out for Antillia.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 10:05:31 PM »

Considering I wrote somewhere (maybe on the wiki) that the PC is strong in North Antillia (and considering I'm the only member from there, if you take that in account), I find it hard to believe the PC wouldn't win in North Antillia. That's really the only fault I find.

Ah, dammit, didn't notice that. But, as I said, this is just a pilot. The more important maps'll be party strength ones.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I didn't forget them actually.

Ahem...Al...do you need any addition statistics in order to come up with a better party breakdown? Let us not forget that Antillia came out of this brain of mine, probably why it's as crazy as it is. I may comment on the map posted a little later, just to see how it meshes with what I thought of when making Antillia.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 05:37:50 PM »

Ahem...Al...do you need any addition statistics in order to come up with a better party breakdown? Let us not forget that Antillia came out of this brain of mine, probably why it's as crazy as it is. I may comment on the map posted a little later, just to see how it meshes with what I thought of when making Antillia.

The main thing would be more information on the distribution of Franco's within each province.

Okay, well I think I said a few points about this before. In Robera they mostly make up the population of the interior and the coast east of Whitecliff. Whitecliff is roughly split between Anglos and Francos with the western coast being majority Anglo. The east is more Franco than the west due to the fact that it was originally settled by French speakers but was not as important an area to the British after they began to settle the centre and west of Antillia, unlike Port Valjean and Limmeria. In North Wales the Franco population is pretty evenly distributed but the percentage of the population that is French speaking is higher in the interior as opposed to the coast. Wellington actually has one of the lowest French populations in the province.

In Carnarvon the traditional French speaking areas are along the border with Arcadia, however in recent years there has been a large influx of "Mountaineers" into Richmond. The Franco population is now roughly evenly split between rural French near Arcadia and urban French in Richmond. Reginia has almost no Francophone population. Most is concentrated in Lorient proper with some on the border near Arcadia.

LeGran is completely non-Francophone. Most of the small Francophone population lives in and around Presque Isle. New Ulster has a Francophone demographic that is like Carnarvon, until the 70s or 80s most of the Francos lived in the mountains near the Arcadia border. Today though nearly 80% of the Francophone population lives in and around Alberton, most of it recent migration from poorer rural areas of La Francophonie. Hesperia has almost no Francophone population, around 65% is located in the mountains near the Arcadia border the remainder are urban transplants in Victoria and Coldwater. Arcadia's Franco population is almost entirely concentrated in the far west along the border with Limeria. There are almost none east of Capehaven and the population in Capehaven itself is incredibly small, maybe 2% at most.

Limeria is an interesting case. It's Franco population is rather evenly distributed. The most Anglo area of the province is the east and Port Valjean proper, except for working class areas which are predominantly Franco, the Anglo working class is smaller in Port Valjean than in either Richmond or Alberton. Highest area of Franco concentration is in the west along the border with Robera. The border with Arcadia is completely mixed, roughly 50-50 Anglo-Franco, with some very segregated communities along the border, British founded towns can be 80 or 90 percent Anglo, French towns 70 to 90 percent Franco. Arcadia is pretty straightforward. It's main areas of Anglo population are around the border with Limeria and in Charlesville. I would say roughly 70% of the Anglo population lives near the border with Limeria and the remainder mostly live in Charlesville, with a very small minority in Fort Rochier.

In Clairive the Portuguese population is mostly contained in mining areas, in Rocheport, and other service centres in the province. The rest of the population is reliably Franco with rural, non-mining areas having the highest porportion of Franco speakers.

As for LeGran, the entire province would likely be won by the left. Even in the far North the white population doesn't exceed 40% and in Presque Isle the white population is 29%, with roughly 18% of those being Portuguese speakers. Outside of the main urban areas, basically Presque Isle, the more northerly town of Gros Islet, and the North, most of the white population is Portuguese.

Having said this I can't really see the ACP taking any electoral districts in LeGran, unless there is some major vote splitting among the Indian community. Reginia looks too conservative, should be better territory for liberal parties, but this might be shown in a party strength map better than a "who wins each district" map. The Alberton suburbs look a little too conservative/social democratic but again this is probably more due to what information is given. I like the liberal dominance in the Fort Rochier/Charlesville area and the strength of the SoCreds in the west. Labour might have a little too much dominance in Robera, add a little bit more SoCred support IMHO. New Wales looks pretty good, I can't see the Conservatives doing well there with its mix of trade unionism and rural populism. As for Clairive, and I guess interior areas of New Wales and Robera, it would depend entirely upon the amount of support that the Franco population gives to Labour. I also like the last little tendril of the SoCred support in North Antillia. It is exactly where the Franco population is the highest and the overall population is low enough, and rural enough, to support SoCred.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 04:46:34 PM »

Wait, I thought Antillia used a PR system, either parallel or MMP, rather than FPTP. I might be mistaken but I thought that was what was agreed upon.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 08:55:40 PM »

To be quite unspecific, when we do get around to elections, I see the results being messy, can we boil this thing down to 4 parties?

I think it will be alright and realistic for a country with a PR system. Especially since this is the first election after the end of a dictatorship, with a lack of any determinate party structure at the moment, I could easily see the first election being very fragmented. Then, after subsequent elections, I could see parties, such as the Social Liberals, PRD and PC, coming together along with Labour and the SDP.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies