McCain Sets Criteria For His VP (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:33:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  McCain Sets Criteria For His VP (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: McCain Sets Criteria For His VP  (Read 11862 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« on: February 15, 2008, 08:23:48 PM »

>>>> the one who is most qualified to take his place as President <<<<

I sincerely doubt Al Gore would accept the invitation to join the Republican ticket.  ;-)

But seriously -- if McCain really wants to name a Republican VP who is most qualified to be President, he wouldn't choose Sanford or Pawlenty or Pence or for godsakes Mr. Noun+Verb+9/11.

If the only criteria is qualification to be President -- ie, experience and proven skill in matters foreign and domestic -- he will choose Richard Lugar or John Warner, among sitting Senators.  Or he'd go off the map and choose Warren Rudman, John Danforth or Bill Cohen.  Perhaps Colin Powell.  I know.  Most of them are "too old", especially on a ticket with McCain.  Aside from Lugar, most are too centrist to be on a ticket with McCain.

But McCain's comment was that he wanted the most qualified, prepared Republican. 

Sanford, Pence and Pawlenty could certainly develop.  Most V-Ps learn the job, like most Presidents do. 

But choosing the best person for the job isn't the only criterion.  It never is.  He'll consider electability.  Appeal to the party base.  Experience in both legislating and governing. Potential scandals and skeletons. Likability.  Health. All of it. 
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 09:37:19 PM »

I'd be willing to bet right now that Kay Bailey Hutchison will be McCain's VP candidate.

Hmmm.... you know that would actually be a pretty decent pick.

It really would be a good pick and a ticket I might have to reconsider my confirmed-Democratic vote.

I know this is a long shot and hasn't even been mentioned, yet, and probably for good reason, but what about Gov. Matt Blunt of Missouri or Fmr. Gov. Frank Keating of Oklahoma as possibilities?  Blunt is leaving the Missouri State Capitol in January 2009, so it wouldn't interfere with his current duties too much as he would make a nice transition into the Vice Presidential job.  Keating was a pretty good, conservative, governor for Oklahoma.  He was a popular governor during his 8-years (not as popular as Brad Henry, but still popular).  He knows how to handle terrorism (see April 19, 1995 and the Oklahoma City Bombing).

He needs a governor to balance out the ticket, but a Senator wouldn't be too bad, either as the VP is the President of the Senate.

I don't know enough about either one, frankly.  I suppose either would be well-liked among social and economic conservatives, so it might make sense.  If they're significantly younger than McCain, that would help balance the ticket as well.  I do remember that when Keating said he was considering a Presidential bid, a lot of people here groaned.  I mean, Republicans.  But that could be just because we already had Jim Gilmore, Duncan Hunter, Tommy Thompson and Tom Tancredo in the race.  I dunno.

My gut still says Sanford - Pence - Pawlenty in that order.  I droped Owens after a couple of you tipped me off about his tax increases.  And Pawlenty is only on the list because I know McCain values loyalty.  Not because I deludedly believe Pawlenty would deliver a single state. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies