National symbols (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:49:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  National symbols (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: National symbols  (Read 22509 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: February 17, 2008, 09:55:03 PM »

Given the history of Antillia, it probably had a defaced Red Ensign for its flag like Canada did until 1967 and Bermuda still uses.

It likely would have used a coat of arms similar to the one Quebec used 1868-1939:

Ony the maple leafs at the bottom would no doubt have been replaced by something more distinctively Antillian, say a whale or some other fish.  (As far as heraldry is concerned, a whale is a fish.)

As for what Antillia now uses, how about we assume that the dictatorship came up with a new flag of some sort (in which case purple would be appropiate, tho still ugly)  and thus give the parliament the trouble of having to decide on whether to use an old flag or come up with a new one?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 12:05:05 AM »

Why would the coat of arms have Portuguese symbols?  IIRC, Until the dictatorship invited in the refugee Portuguese African colonists when Angola and Mozambique gained their sudden independence, Antillia had no significant Portuguese element.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 02:27:24 PM »

Other than the objections I've had before to including Portuguese symbols in the coat of arms, no.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 04:35:34 PM »

Rather than starting a new thread, I'm hijacking an old but appropriate one.

For fictional broadcasting or amateur radio entities, it would good to have an "official" call sign.  There are two I see as being most likely.

VL - officially assigned to Australian broadcasters, but apparently never actually used by them on air.

V9 - currently not assigned.

The whole V series of call signs was originally allocated to the British Empire (V for Victoria) so having a V-series call sign would make sense and these are the two that are available.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 09:29:39 PM »

On a related subject, let me offer the following suggestions for Antillia's ISO 3166 codes and ccTLD.

AA is in the real ISO-3166 a user-defined code, so I propose we use it as Antillia's ISO-3166-1-alpha2 code and .aa as our TLD.

Of the obvious possibilities for our alpha-3 code:
ANT is in use by the IOC for Antigua and Barbuda.
ANA is not in use.
ATA is n use for Antarctica.
AIA is in use for Anguilla.
ALA is in use for the Aland Islands.

So of the above it looks like ANA is what it will have to be.

For our ISO-3166-2 codes let me suggest:

RB -  Robera
NW - New Wales
CR -  Carnarvon
RG - Reginia
LG -  LeGran
NU -  New Ulster
HS -  Hesperia
NA - North Antillia
AR - Arcadia
LM - Limeria
CL - Clairive

If the name is a province is two words, I used the first letter of each word.
If the name of a province is one word, I used the first letter and the next consonant.

If we want to avoid clashing with the U.S. and Canadian postal codes we'll need to change AR (Arcadia/Arkansas) and NU (New Ulster/Nunavut)  but I don't see the need.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies