Comprehensive Drug Reform Bill [Vetoed; Failed] (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:40:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Comprehensive Drug Reform Bill [Vetoed; Failed] (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Comprehensive Drug Reform Bill [Vetoed; Failed]  (Read 12619 times)
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: February 22, 2008, 12:22:23 PM »

This is a great bill, shame we cant nationalize. Sad

I completely agree with Jake however. The taxpayers should not be forced to pay for the medical care of drugusers not looking to stop. All medical care? I think not. The State should not be subsidizing drug use. Also, why arent we taxing this stuff? We take the money and route it into the sobering program. I know it cant be a sales tax, since we're not selling it, but we can throw in a small entrance fee, no? After all, we're only providing most of our care, supposedly, to those looking to get clean anyway.

Im proposing this amendment:

Section 3: Safe Injection Sites
1. The federal government will invest $10 million FY 2009 in the construction of a Safe Injection Site in the District of Columbia.
2. No person using illicit drugs inside of a Safe Injection Site may face prosecution of any kind in relation to the possession or consumption of the drug.
3. All persons entering the Safe Injection Site will be provided with clean needle syringes and any medical care necessary free of charge.
4. A donation of a dollar will be requested upon entrance to the Site. This donation is not required. Donations of any size will be accepted, assuming it is a legal donation.

Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 11:10:01 PM »

I'm not quite sure what to make of the amendment. Is this a sort of "give us money or we'll glare at you and have the security guards follow you around" kind of donation, as at the Met? I mean, we could just charge a dollar, it's not as if that's a huge sum even to the very poor.
Problem is, it will turn people away to force it, especially if they are extremely poor, or a very heavy users. I just dont like forcing the issue when dealing with health care that the people will already be uneasy to recieve.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 08:07:03 PM »

Nay
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 09:07:44 PM »

Aye