Watch Hillary's emergency landing in a hail of sniper bullets in Bosnia in 1996
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:43:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Watch Hillary's emergency landing in a hail of sniper bullets in Bosnia in 1996
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Watch Hillary's emergency landing in a hail of sniper bullets in Bosnia in 1996  (Read 3345 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 22, 2008, 07:17:44 PM »

Before you do that, watch Hillary Clinton reciting her own account of her harrowing experience during her diplomatic mission to Bosnia in 1996.

Then watch the footage of said mission.  You can clearly see her and Chelsea ducking and rolling as they evacuate the plane the minute it lands, followed by a heated stand-off with a young paramilitary dissident.

It's better than Platoon, Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket rolled into one.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 08:54:24 PM »

Oh please. Candidates say hundreds of things on the campaign trail every day. Who can remember perfectly something that happened 12 years ago, anyway?

According to Lissa Muscatine,

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So who really cares if she came under sniper fire or not? This 'lie' is about as significant as Gore's claim in the 2000 election to have traveled to a Texas disaster site with some unnamed official years earlier. Once again, the media is portraying the candidate that they think is "uncool" at the moment as the 'exaggerator' and once again distracting from the serious issues to another character attack.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 09:00:22 PM »
« Edited: March 22, 2008, 09:02:50 PM by Now We Rise And Are Everywhere »

Oh please. Candidates say hundreds of things on the campaign trail every day. Who can remember perfectly something that happened 12 years ago, anyway?

I can't perfectly remember every field trip I took in 6th grade, but I most certainly do remember that I was not under gunfire during any of them.

So who really cares if she came under sniper fire or not?

Uh, because it's completely different from what actually happened?

This is like me saying I once witnessed a gang shooting in a Minneapolis strip club because I once went to a Minneapolis strip club where you must pass through a metal detector to get in because there was a gang shooting in it a few years earlier. Oh I wasn't at that actual shooting? Oh well, it's just a minor detail.

This 'lie' is about as significant as Gore's claim in the 2000 election to have traveled to a Texas disaster site with some unnamed official years earlier. Once again, the media is portraying the candidate that they think is "uncool" at the moment as the 'exaggerator' and once again distracting from the serious issues to another character attack.

It's not an exaggeration, it's a LIE. She also said that after landing they had to cancel the arrival ceremony because of sniper fire and were just told to run to their vehicles. That clearly didn't happen.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 09:05:41 PM »

I can't perfectly remember every field trip I took in 6th grade, but I most certainly do remember that I was not under gunfire during any of them.

Coming under fire in that way is not the same as coming under fire when you're walking down the street. You might not even notice it unless someone tells you, even if you have to take precautions like 'keeping your head down'.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 09:08:40 PM »

Coming under fire in that way is not the same as coming under fire when you're walking down the street. You might not even notice it unless someone tells you, even if you have to take precautions like 'keeping your head down'.

If your being shot at down the street, thats something you cant really miss...unless your THAT oblivious to your surroundings.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 09:09:46 PM »

So if you don't notice it, how do you "misremember" it happening? And also claim the arrival ceremony was canceled due to it and you just had to run to your vehicle when the arrival ceremony most certainly DID happen? Hillary must have one AWFUL memory!

This is like me saying I once witnessed a gang shooting in a Minneapolis strip club because I once went to a Minneapolis strip club where you must pass through a metal detector to get in because there was a gang shooting in it a few years earlier. Oh I wasn't at that actual shooting? Oh well, it's just a minor detail.

This 'lie' is about as significant as Gore's claim in the 2000 election to have traveled to a Texas disaster site with some unnamed official years earlier. Once again, the media is portraying the candidate that they think is "uncool" at the moment as the 'exaggerator' and once again distracting from the serious issues to another character attack.

It's not an exaggeration, it's a LIE. She also said that after landing they had to cancel the arrival ceremony because of sniper fire and were just told to run to their vehicles. That clearly didn't happen.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 09:11:53 PM »

Fine... if the fact that she came under sniper fire during a visit to Bosnia 12 years ago is your reason to support her, you can stop supporting her.

It's not an exaggeration, it's a LIE. She also said that after landing they had to cancel the arrival ceremony because of sniper fire and were just told to run to their vehicles. That clearly didn't happen.[/quote]

An incorrect (but not entirely incorrect) story about something that happened 12 years ago and which no one cares about, that slipped out in one speech after the countless times she's probably spoken about this event. So, the record is corrected.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 09:12:52 PM »

If your being shot at down the street, thats something you cant really miss...unless your THAT oblivious to your surroundings.

But that's exactly my point. If you're in a large aircraft or part of a travel ling entourage and facing remote, long-range fire, it's very easy to miss, and you might not know about it unless someone tells you about it.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 09:14:39 PM »

But that's exactly my point. If you're in a large aircraft or part of a travel ling entourage and facing remote, long-range fire, it's very easy to miss, and you might not know about it unless someone tells you about it.

Well I guess I wouldnt know...ive never been shot at in a plane thankfully Tongue
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 09:47:38 PM »

Fine... if the fact that she came under sniper fire during a visit to Bosnia 12 years ago is your reason to support her, you can stop supporting her.

Or if you think she's an honest truthful person who'll restore honesty to government, something that we've been lacking a bit in the past 8 years...

Hillary is a liar. Just like Bush.

An incorrect (but not entirely incorrect) story about something that happened 12 years ago and which no one cares about, that slipped out in one speech after the countless times she's probably spoken about this event. So, the record is corrected.
[/quote]

Not entirely incorrect?

That's like it's saying it's not entirely incorrect if I said I was involved in a horrible car accident when I was young when in fact I wasn't but I was told to buckle up by parents in case of one.

Hillary said that when she landed she was under sniper fire and the arrival ceremony was canceled and they were told to run to their vehicles. In fact there was no sniper fire and the ceremony did happen. Having flak jackets in case of sniper fire doesn't mean you were under sniper fire anymore than wearing a seat belt means you were in a car accident, nor does being warned of the possibility of this happening mean that it actually did happen. By this logic all girls who lived in my apartment building in college can claim to have been raped because warning notices were posted by the police warning about a rapist stalking the area and it was at one point under heavy patrol by police due to assailants. So if you were never raped/assaulted yourself but claim you were, it's only "partially" incorrect and an exaggeration.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 11:40:37 PM »
« Edited: March 22, 2008, 11:42:31 PM by Beet »

Or if you think she's an honest truthful person who'll restore honesty to government, something that we've been lacking a bit in the past 8 years...

'restore honesty to government' is just a glittering generality. To what historical period is this slogan supposed to refer to? The 1950s? The 1880s? The 1780s?

You act as if the political world was an ethical wonderful until Hillary Clinton came into it, and because of her misstatement about whether she was actually fired on or just had precautions taken to be fired on, on an obscure trip 12 years ago, that act singlehandedly corrupted the political world.

From that moment on, 'honesty' was gone from government and political campaigns. From Hillary and Bush's entry to politics, the wonderful ethical world of politics was corrupted. Exaggeration and deception became something commonplace, beneficial, even necessary in politics. All thanks to Bush, Hillary, and other politicians BRTD doesn't like.

Human nature itself was corrupted. People began to see how they could use manipulations and biases to influence others and get what they want. It was an act akin to Eve taking the apple from the Garden of Eden. I am with you now. I understand you. If we just defeat Hillary in the primary, and then elect whichever politicians BRTD likes, all will be good!

That analogy is not entirely correct.

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 11:43:26 PM »

This is worse than the "Al Gore invented the internet" meme from 2000, and can't help a candidate who is already seen as untrustworthy.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 11:45:16 PM »

Dumb of her but good thing for her she's irrelevant now so it isn't as big of a deal as it could have been.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2008, 07:21:15 AM »

She certainly gave us the impression in the recent video that "that's what happened", without a shadow of a doubt.  If she honestly couldn't remember, then she should have said so.  It's much better than exaggerating or lying in order to somehow boost her foreign policy credentials.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2008, 12:28:04 PM »

She certainly gave us the impression in the recent video that "that's what happened", without a shadow of a doubt.  If she honestly couldn't remember, then she should have said so.  It's much better than exaggerating or lying in order to somehow boost her foreign policy credentials.

and she wouldn't have gone into such elaborate and intricate details.  when you can't remember something, your account is hardly ever as detailed as the one Hillary provided.
The Hack Hater
AloneinOregon
Virgin Islands, British

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2008, 03:17:29 PM »

Does any of that really matter? It seems that if the situation had  the slightest chance for Clinton to boost her credentials, she would gladly take advantage of it and build on it to help prove her 'credentials' No surprise, really.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies