Obama Lifting Words From Deval Patrick, Beginning Of The End For Obama?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:29:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Obama Lifting Words From Deval Patrick, Beginning Of The End For Obama?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama Lifting Words From Deval Patrick, Beginning Of The End For Obama?  (Read 3621 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 18, 2008, 10:14:41 PM »

Obama has taken words from Governor Deval Patrick and used them in his speeches.

A foolish thing to do, especially in a hotly contested primary season.

"Just words" speech.

Clinton has latched onto this and has made a plagarism issue out of it, calling into question Obama's judgment.

Could this bring the surging Obama juggernaut to a screeching halt?

Thoughts?
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 10:16:46 PM »

no.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 10:17:28 PM »

What is Deval's thoughts on the matter?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 10:21:10 PM »

LOL Obama plagarize. Yeah. Right. Barack Obama does something wrong. That'll be the day.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 10:21:39 PM »

They are good friends and share words all the time.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 10:22:16 PM »

Patrick was one of Obama's earliest supporters, so he might've given permission. Either way it's a silly non-issue. Considering that Obama's campaign has reached to quote one news article some plane roughly between a religious movement and revolutionary army it's hard to see it falling apart over something this minor.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 10:23:29 PM »

They both have the same campaign managers (David Axelrod). I highly doubt either Patrick or Obama wrote that part of their speech.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 10:25:57 PM »

They both have the same campaign managers (David Axelrod). I highly doubt either Patrick or Obama wrote that part of their speech.

Axelrod consulted for both of them, but John Walsh was Patrick's campaign manager.
8 out of 11 is not deserved
pollwatch99-b

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 10:27:39 PM »

Dumb issue.

Deval was fine with it
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 10:27:49 PM »

Obama, who said Patrick himself had suggested that he use the lines about the power of words, found the Clinton campaign's tactics unsurprising.

It was Clinton staffers who alerted reporters that Obama used lines nearly identical to Patrick's 2006 phrasing.

"Every day starts off with a negative attack from the Clinton campaign," said Obama , who added that he does not know whether the plagiarism charge will gain traction.

He said to a small group of reporters, "I never know what you guys will end up doing with this stuff."

Obama, who used the mantra, "Yes, we can" in his winning 2004 Senate campaign and revived it this year, said the word-trade goes both ways.

In the 2006 Massachusetts gubernatorial race, Obama said, Patrick was known to repeat a few catchy words himself.

"Yes, we can!" is what Patrick said.

And he did.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 10:29:34 PM »

Axelrod consulted for both of them, but John Walsh was Patrick's campaign manager.

Close enough. Patrick himself has come out saying that Obama was perfectly justified.

But the hypocrisy coming out of the Clinton camp on this issue would be shocking if we hadn't already seen Dame Clinton in action. When she lets loose with Obama catchphrases, it's okay because she's a poor rhetorician.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 10:31:29 PM »

They are good friends and share words all the time.

Yup. As far as I've read Deval doesn't really mind at all.

From the New York Times

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 12:38:50 AM »

The most worrying part of this is that the Deval Patrick campaign and the Obama campaign are largely the same: vague platitudes of "change" and "yes we can," with little substance to back it up.  Change!  Change!  Yes we can!  Change!  Yes we can!  Voting for me feels good!  Yes we can!

All ultimately leading to a not-quite-ready-for-prime-time, disappointing first term.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 01:22:14 AM »

The most worrying part of this is that the Deval Patrick campaign and the Obama campaign are largely the same: vague platitudes of "change" and "yes we can," with little substance to back it up.  Change!  Change!  Yes we can!  Change!  Yes we can!  Voting for me feels good!  Yes we can!

All ultimately leading to a not-quite-ready-for-prime-time, disappointing first term.

At least Obama actually has a chance at getting a first term.  Clinton is going to have to fight tooth and nail just to get independents to look at her let alone vote for her.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 01:28:29 AM »

I don't recall much of that from the Patrick campaign, what of it I saw while spending some time in Massachusetts (and as an observer online). Most of what I got was that Patrick basically coasted to the election, which was really all he had to do with Romney so unpopular and Healey so obviously a continuation of Romney.

Insofar as that is a concern about Obama, it's a concern about everyone. George H. W. Bush was one of the most experienced candidates in history and turned into an unpopular disaster within a few years, much as Patrick has. I worry about it with Obama; I'm not one of those who thinks that Obama will fix everything. But, to be honest, I would rather have a somewhat bumbling but well-meaning Obama leading the country than a power-driven Clinton who relies on what polls best for what she cares about.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2008, 02:43:35 AM »

I wonder if Biden will endorse Obama now
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2008, 02:45:31 AM »

Obama's 2008 campaign borrowed something from Patrick's 2006 campaign which borrowed that from Obama's 2004 campaign? Stick a fork in Obama.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2007/04/16/patrick_obama_campaigns_share_language_of_hope/
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2008, 02:51:30 AM »

This story is obviously a fabrication by the liberal media attempting to attack the one candidate that transcends political parties. How despicable.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2008, 03:50:42 AM »

Couldn't possibly be any worse than a Clinton or a McCain first term, so-called moderate.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2008, 04:07:12 AM »

This is just the Clinton's campaign's last dying gasps. Clinton has stole Obama's material throughout the entire campaign and you didn't hear him bitching about it.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2008, 02:33:13 PM »

I don't recall much of that from the Patrick campaign, what of it I saw while spending some time in Massachusetts (and as an observer online). Most of what I got was that Patrick basically coasted to the election, which was really all he had to do with Romney so unpopular and Healey so obviously a continuation of Romney.

Insofar as that is a concern about Obama, it's a concern about everyone. George H. W. Bush was one of the most experienced candidates in history and turned into an unpopular disaster within a few years, much as Patrick has. I worry about it with Obama; I'm not one of those who thinks that Obama will fix everything. But, to be honest, I would rather have a somewhat bumbling but well-meaning Obama leading the country than a power-driven Clinton who relies on what polls best for what she cares about.

The Patrick campaign was largely a foregone conclusion, so he never really had to do more than say a bunch of meaningless dribble, a lot of it in the same vein as the Obama "Yes We Can" stuff.  It was more a "feel good" candidacy than a candidacy of substance, and just like Obama looks to be headed to winning the Democratic primary in an "upset," so too did Patrick over two arguably far more qualified Democrats because he was a "different kind of politician."  Both idealists running for office in a business that largely demands a realist.

And in Patrick's case, "different kind of politician" meant green behind the ears, and it was painfully obvious once he wound up coming off of cruise control and actually had to deal with "real politics."

My greatest fear this election year is that once Obama wins the nomination, he might be able to cruise to victory in the general election the same way Patrick was.  Had Republicans found a more compelling candidate than K. Murphy Healey back in 2006, we might have been able to have some kind of clue that Patrick wasn't ready to take on such a huge job.   (It's not that I strongly dislike Patrick or anything—I don't—it's just that I've been greatly disappointed by his performance, even continuing to this day.)

As a highly disappointed Bush voter from 2000, I've already learned my lesson about well-meaning bumblers.  Obama would likely surround himself with "smart people" the way Bush did, but I have my concerns that neither are really cut out to be the leader of the free world.  Clinton—a realist whom I have significant disagreements on regarding health care and "baby bonds"—is not an option, which is why I voted for Obama in the primary.

Not to echo your point again, but Clinton seems ready enough to be President.  It's just that she'd fight to the bitter end for too many things that I'm strongly opposed to.  I can't vote for that—never mind the fact that she makes my skin crawl on instinct in a way few politicians ever have.

But in the general election, I'm far more concerned that after 8 years of missteps and a bumbling, unworthy executive we finally get on the right track with someone who can actually handle the job of "Commander in Chief" and run the country starting on day one.  While I wouldn't be upset if Obama won, and while I'd wish him all the best, I'm convinced that person best suited to fix the mistakes of the Bush Administration is the person who should have been the 2000 GOP nominee in the first place, John McCain.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2008, 05:42:19 PM »

Well, it has gotten media attention and it has pushed Obama back. Yes, Hillary is clearly desperate but that doesn't stop them. The Clinton campaign is like a snake and their poisonous tactics are pushing Obama to the complete defensive in the last day of the showdown in Wisconsin. It is up to Obama to nullify this latest venomous surge of evil energy and cut off the head of the snake that is Hillary with his sword of justice
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2008, 08:23:38 PM »

LOL, looks like Clinton thinks this backfired, she's blaming this whole thing on the media:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jyrMRzzhtkEXXcGY9cNmKYSRpVigD8UTNA980
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2008, 08:45:31 PM »

Well, it was only "a rival campaign" that brought the whole thing to light. Clearly Mike Huckabee was just gearing up for his general election run.
The Hack Hater
AloneinOregon
Virgin Islands, British

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2008, 09:16:59 PM »

I'm not worried. Politicians have stolen quotes from each other before, it just happened to be at a particularly high-profile event this time. It figures Clinton would go after Obama for something like this.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies