Naming the districts (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:55:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Naming the districts (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Naming the districts  (Read 13397 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« on: February 19, 2008, 12:50:27 PM »

Westminster-style names for New York. The boro constituencies should use boro names and not county names, but it seemed wrong to not go with Richmond and Kings.

NY-1: Suffolk Brookhaven
NY-2: Suffolk West
NY-3: Glen Cove and Hempstead
NY-4: Five Towns
NY-5: Soundstrand
NY-6: Queens Canarsie
NY-7: Pelham and Flushing
NY-8: New York Hudson
NY-9: Kings and Queens
NY-10: Kings East
NY-11: Kings Central
NY-12: Vale of East
NY-13: Richmond
NY-14: UES and Astoria
NY-15: New York Harlem
NY-16: Bronx South
NY-17: Ramapo
NY-18: Westchester
NY-19: Mid-Hudson
NY-20: High Hudson
NY-21: Albany Leatherstocking
NY-22: Catskill and Chemung
NY-23: Borders
NY-24: Mohawk Vale
NY-25: Syracuse Anthony
NY-26: Erie Canal
NY-27: Erie South
NY-28: Monroe Ontario
NY-29: Monroe Nascar
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 01:19:47 PM »

RI-1: Rhode Island East
RI-2: Rhode Island West
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 01:20:54 PM »

P.S. If there's enough demand, I'll do New Hampshire and Idaho, too.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 09:12:58 AM »

Regarding NJ, one has to hope that the loss of a Congressional seat and the need to redraw boundaries to increase population in stagnant districts will mean the end of the Central Jersey mess.

Districts 1 and 2 and everything north and east of the 7th district is basically sound. The 13th district isn't beautiful, but maj-min disticts are what they are.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 12:46:19 PM »

You know, I've never been able to remember the order of the Western N.Y. districts. But having compiled this, and being able to visualize the list, I can't forget them. Thanks to whomever suggested this thread, even if no one reads to the bottom of my post it's been good for me.

NY-26: Erie Canal
NY-27: Erie South
NY-28: Monroe Ontario
NY-29: Monroe Nascar
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 02:19:17 PM »

It largely just meanders through obnoxiously wealthy exurbs in Hunterdon like my parents' home town, obnoxiously wealthy exurbs (transitioning to suburbs) in Somerset like Bridgewater, and obnoxiously wealthy suburbs (they're too well located to be exurbs) in Union like Westfield.

It's funny that you mentioned Bridgewater, where my sister lives, and Westfield, where her husband grew up. While they're pretty nice, I don't think of either one as "obnoxiously wealthy" although Bridgewater has its McMansion areas alongside the older homes. Anything I'd call by that term is in the 11th district, like Harding Twp., Millburn, Chatham, and the places where Steve Forbes lives.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 04:33:49 PM »

If I ever finish my remapping project, I'll post my own suggestion, though actually I had quite a bit of trouble with this area myself. It's really Sussex, Warren and Hunterdon that are a pain to fit in anywhere else; I ended up with those three combined with most of Somerset and the wealthy north end of Mercer. (Poor Princeton got stuck in that district, too.)

I'd love to see it. Did you take into account incumbents or just draw the best maps? Incumbency is going to be the biggest obstacle to drawing sane maps in 2012, unless Pallone and Chris Smith decide to swap homes.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies