intrade
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:00:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  intrade
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: intrade  (Read 763 times)
ukchris82
Rookie
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 20, 2008, 08:22:50 AM »

Am i gettting this right?

Obama - $79
Clinton -  $19

so if I buy 10 shares in each it'll cost me $98 and I'm guarenteed to get £100 (because one of them will get the nom) or am I totally mis-understanding this?

TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 08:29:19 AM »

I think so, but there are probably fees that eat up the $2.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 11:21:03 AM »

And considering it won't pay out until the convention, your money is probably better invested elsewhere.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 12:03:08 PM »

when Al Gore is nominated you lose all your money.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 01:40:16 PM »

Obama - $79
Clinton -  $19

so if I buy 10 shares in each it'll cost me $98 and I'm guarenteed to get £100 (because one of them will get the nom) or am I totally mis-understanding this?

Those are the last trades.  To get shares of Obama, you may need to bid higher than 79; to get shares of Clinton, you may need to bid higher than 19.

Intrade works a little differently from the stock market in that you only need to pay a fee to trade via a "market order."  If you place a "limit order," which basically means you have to wait around for someone to take the price you're offering, then you don't get charged a fee.  That's meant to boost liquidity.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 01:41:12 PM »

Obama - $79
Clinton -  $19

Those are the last trades.  To get shares of Obama, you may need to bid higher than 79; to get shares of Clinton, you may need to bid higher than 19.

Intrade works a little differently from the stock market in that you only need to pay a fee to trade via a "market order."  If you place a "limit order," which basically means you have to wait around for someone to take the price you're offering, then you don't get charged a fee.  That's meant to boost liquidity.

I thought they changed it so that you only need to pay fees on profits?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 01:48:41 PM »

And considering it won't pay out until the convention, your money is probably better invested elsewhere.

I don't know the first thing about intrade but try and find an investment that will double in value (100 dollars to 100 pounds) in the next few months. Maybe oil Tongue
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 05:07:10 PM »

Obama - $79
Clinton -  $19

I thought they changed it so that you only need to pay fees on profits?

There is a 1% fee charged on contracts that expire "in the money."  For a contract worth $10.00, you only get $9.90.  That's in addition to any trading costs, and why some long dead contracts still trade around the 1.0 level.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies