Is the office of the Papacy an abomination?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:23:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Is the office of the Papacy an abomination?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Is the office of the Papacy an abomination?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: Is the office of the Papacy an abomination?  (Read 12489 times)
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2008, 11:41:27 PM »

Tend to agree. Though if we were talking about the Papacy in the 1400s-1500s things would be different...

I think we can agree that absolute leaders in the 1400-1500s were of the "unsavory" variety universally.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2008, 01:32:06 AM »

No, but some positions of the Church (past and present) certainly are.

Example... and keep in mind that I want positions of The Church.

Historically, the Inquisistion, the fight over the heliocentric universe, the sale of indulgences. More recently, the Church's stances against birth control and condoms seem particularly worthy of the term abomination given the AIDS and overpopulation that is plaguing much of the less developed world.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2008, 03:32:10 AM »

Historically, the Inquisistion, the fight over the heliocentric universe, the sale of indulgences. More recently, the Church's stances against birth control and condoms seem particularly worthy of the term abomination given the AIDS and overpopulation that is plaguing much of the less developed world.

Note I said The Church clearly you have not read my earlier comments.

First off, the Inquisition was launched by the Spanish Monarchy, not The Church, and it was actually condemned by several high ranking officials at the time (including one of the Popes I believe).  The Church never sanctioned it, nor was it ever supported by doctrine.  There were a few Inquisitions launched by Popes, but they were immediately slapped down once it was clear that the goal of the Inquisitors was punishment and not conversion or the truth and conversion.  Eitherway, this can be filed under the "human error" category.

The view that the Earth was the center of the universe was supported by academia at the time, it always had been.  It was the fault of pie-in-the-sky philosophers.  In fact, many scientists had long held to the theory.  The Pope at the time was highly sympathetic to Galileo, but he was pressed on by the academics in the ranks of the Cardinals who were very learned men and essentially saw Galileo's claims as an insult to their intelligence.

For the millionth time, it was actually against canon law to do what the "sellers" of indulgences were doing, this went ignored by corrupt clergy.

As for your other comments, actually, the Church is in the process of reviewing its stand on condoms, specifically in Africa, for AIDS prevention.  Benedict has thus far made supportive noises to this end... kinda funny how Benedict has turned out to be the exact opposite of what people thought he would be like and thus far no one has noticed (or been willing to admit they are wrong).  Benedict has done more to liberalize the Church in some areas than JPII did in all his 25 years (actually contrary to popular belief, JPII probably brought the Church way back to the right).  No one likes to admit they are wrong though, I guess.  Actually, it is worth noting, however, that instances of AIDS have dropped where governments, aided by the Church, have aggressively pursued abstinence, but its not enough, and the Church is coming around to that notion.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2008, 10:36:36 AM »
« Edited: February 23, 2008, 11:05:00 AM by memphis »

First off, the Inquisition was launched by the Spanish Monarchy, not The Church, and it was actually condemned by several high ranking officials at the time (including one of the Popes I believe).  The Church never sanctioned it, nor was it ever supported by doctrine.  There were a few Inquisitions launched by Popes, but they were immediately slapped down once it was clear that the goal of the Inquisitors was punishment and not conversion or the truth and conversion.  Eitherway, this can be filed under the "human error" category.

The view that the Earth was the center of the universe was supported by academia at the time, it always had been.  It was the fault of pie-in-the-sky philosophers.  In fact, many scientists had long held to the theory.  The Pope at the time was highly sympathetic to Galileo, but he was pressed on by the academics in the ranks of the Cardinals who were very learned men and essentially saw Galileo's claims as an insult to their intelligence.

For the millionth time, it was actually against canon law to do what the "sellers" of indulgences were doing, this went ignored by corrupt clergy.

As for your other comments, actually, the Church is in the process of reviewing its stand on condoms, specifically in Africa, for AIDS prevention.  Benedict has thus far made supportive noises to this end... kinda funny how Benedict has turned out to be the exact opposite of what people thought he would be like and thus far no one has noticed (or been willing to admit they are wrong).  Benedict has done more to liberalize the Church in some areas than JPII did in all his 25 years (actually contrary to popular belief, JPII probably brought the Church way back to the right).  No one likes to admit they are wrong though, I guess.  Actually, it is worth noting, however, that instances of AIDS have dropped where governments, aided by the Church, have aggressively pursued abstinence, but its not enough, and the Church is coming around to that notion.

You can't claim divine authority and then say it was the fault of academics. Either your doctrine is god-given or its not. Oops, we were just going with the flow isn't a good explaination for a religion's failings.
You have the same problem today with contraceptives. The "infallible" Pope may very well change the doctrine of the last "infallible" Pope and say that you were just doing what people thought was right for the times, but this is ultimately very shaky ground that exposes all religion (the Catholic Church is hardly unique) for what is truly is: a political exercise.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2008, 03:01:49 PM »

You can't claim divine authority and then say it was the fault of academics. Either your doctrine is god-given or its not. Oops, we were just going with the flow isn't a good explaination for a religion's failings.
You have the same problem today with contraceptives. The "infallible" Pope may very well change the doctrine of the last "infallible" Pope and say that you were just doing what people thought was right for the times, but this is ultimately very shaky ground that exposes all religion (the Catholic Church is hardly unique) for what is truly is: a political exercise.

Do I really have to get out my "dumbass" stamp?  Do you know what is meant by "infallibility" do you have any clue how that works... the question is just a formality, because obviously you don't.

Read my comments from pages 1 and 2.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2008, 10:50:09 PM »
« Edited: February 23, 2008, 11:06:16 PM by memphis »

Do I really have to get out my "dumbass" stamp?  Do you know what is meant by "infallibility" do you have any clue how that works... the question is just a formality, because obviously you don't.

Thanks for ignoring my point entirely and resorting to an ad hominem attack. Very Christ-like of you. I'll concede that I misconstrued the arcane way the Church defines infallibility. Nonetheless, the various Popes' positions do seem to change over time, and some older ones are contradictory to proven scientific fact. This seems to me to destroy completely the credibility of the Church on today's issues because it will most likely just change its mind somewhere down the line. The Church v. Galileo is a good example for this. Why should it matter what academics think if you claim to speak for God?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2008, 03:47:52 AM »

Thanks for ignoring my point entirely and resorting to an ad hominem attack. Very Christ-like of you. I'll concede that I misconstrued the arcane way the Church defines infallibility. Nonetheless, the various Popes' positions do seem to change over time, and some older ones are contradictory to proven scientific fact. This seems to me to destroy completely the credibility of the Church on today's issues because it will most likely just change its mind somewhere down the line. The Church v. Galileo is a good example for this. Why should it matter what academics think if you claim to speak for God?

No, you seemed to miss my point which was that you don't have a point.  How the individual popes view certain issues of the day has absolutely nothing to the Church's claim to right teaching, especially when the Church doesn't claim to be infallible on those issues.  You chose to resort to ignorant interpretations of what the Catholic Church claims that are fueled by pop-culture and anti-Catholic literature, as opposed to actual facts.  If I come off a little uncivil, its because I am sick and tired of having to correct ignorant people who don't even listen because they would rather hold to their arcane notion that the Catholic hierarchy claims to be 100% correct, all the time, because holding to that notion makes it easier for them to launch baseless attacks on the Church... and I am certainly miffed about having had to explain it again one page after I had previously explained it.

Yeah, Popes have changed past positions of other Popes... it bears absolutely no relevancy to a damn thing... unless of course you hold to this "strawman" Catholic Church that people have attacked for so long.

How Christ like of me?  Well, yeah, Christ was big on correcting ignorance, according to what I have read.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2008, 02:22:16 PM »

I think the claim regarding to the Heliocentric solar system is a good illustration the Archbishop's (from my mouth to God's ear) point.

The Pope never claimed that he was "infallibly" proclaiming that the Sun went around the earth.  Though that was the Church's teaching, the Church never said, "We proclaim this because we are infallible."  The action was reversed, finally, under the papacy of John Paul II.

Up to John Paul I, however, supposedly all popes from the 7th Century did take an oath not to undo anything their predecessors had done as part of coronation ceremony. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Papal_Oath

John Paul I declined and not "crowned," and either was John Paul II or H. H. Benedict XVI.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2008, 04:55:45 PM »
« Edited: February 24, 2008, 04:59:19 PM by Servant of God Archbishop Fulton Sheen »

I think the claim regarding to the Heliocentric solar system is a good illustration the Archbishop's (from my mouth to God's ear) point.

The Pope never claimed that he was "infallibly" proclaiming that the Sun went around the earth.  Though that was the Church's teaching, the Church never said, "We proclaim this because we are infallible."  The action was reversed, finally, under the papacy of John Paul II.

Up to John Paul I, however, supposedly all popes from the 7th Century did take an oath not to undo anything their predecessors had done as part of coronation ceremony. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Papal_Oath

John Paul I declined and not "crowned," and either was John Paul II or H. H. Benedict XVI.

Yes, but the Church as an institutional structure held that view, not the Church as the Body of Christ if you will.  As you said, the Church never claimed its teachings on astronomy were infallible.

As for the Papal Oath, this much is true, but it often seems that that Oath's interpretation change from Pope to Pope.  Some held to the notion that it really meant they were to change nothing, others thought it meant that they were not to change the dogmatic teachings, but it was okay to touch the rest.

P.S.  They should bring back the tiara... if for no other reason than it was cool.  ha

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2008, 06:52:18 PM »

[

Yes, but the Church as an institutional structure held that view, not the Church as the Body of Christ if you will.  As you said, the Church never claimed its teachings on astronomy were infallible.

I think that this was the key difference.  Many regulations and teachings have changed over time and I believe infallibility has been formally invoked only once or twice.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

My point is that the oath is not administered any more.

But heavy, except for the papier-mâché one.  Smiley
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2008, 08:55:52 PM »

[

I think that this was the key difference.  Many regulations and teachings have changed over time and I believe infallibility has been formally invoked only once or twice.

My point is that the oath is not administered any more.

But heavy, except for the papier-mâché one.  Smiley

1)  It depends on your view of things.  "Infallibility" as a doctrine has only formally been defined since Pius IX, so if you go by that standard, then yes, this is true, it has been invoked only twice.  However, infallibility has been claimed going all the way back to Leo the Great or further and it seems to have been understood by the time of Gregory VII.  Under that standard, it has been invoked many more times, but even then only to define fundamental doctrines that almost all Christians hold to today.  It bears remembering that the reason Pius IX officially defined infallibility was not because he was making it up, but because the notion was being challenged by some bishops at the time.

2) Indeed.

3) Papier-mâché is also cool.  Maybe we can make one out of fruit.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies