Where is the anger over this!? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:13:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Where is the anger over this!? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Where is the anger over this!?  (Read 8610 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« on: August 16, 2004, 10:06:43 PM »
« edited: August 16, 2004, 10:46:42 PM by Gabu »

Yes, it's in poor taste, but it's obviously a satire looking for shock value, which is exactly what it got.  Nobody has said that they're going to kill Bush.  "I'm Gonna Kill the President" is the title of the play.

I find it amazing how conservatives always accuse liberals of being against free speech but then want this charged as an act of sedition.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 08:52:09 PM »

Nobody has said that they're going to kill Bush.  

I can show that this statement is false.

They're saying:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Now the word "Gonna" is (according to dictionary.com) informal usage and is a contract of "going to."    The word "President" (again according to dictionary.com) can mean "The chief executive of the United States, serving as both chief of state and chief political executive. "  I know some people don't keep up with these things, but the current President's name is Bush.

So...as far as I can tell what is being said is that they're going to kill Bush.  

Now I do agree that Bush is the problem, but we should not defend these people by telling everyone that they're not saying what they're really saying.  

Nobody has said that they're going to kill Bush because "I'm Gonna Kill the President" is the title of the play, not a quote from any specific person.

I will be performing a piece of performance art during this play called "I Have a Bomb And am Going To Blow Up This Performance Of 'I'm Gonna Kill the President'".  I am sure the producers, performers and audience will howl with laughter at my satiric presentation of a terrorist who stands up in the middle of the play and shouts "I have a bomb and am going to kill us all" before pressing a button on a hand held device.

I certainly expect no one to take me seriously as I practice my Constitutionally protected art.

The play would cease to be satire if the people actually did kill the President.  However, nobody is going to do that.  Nobody is even going to point a model gun at Bush at a joke.  Nobody is even going to do anything to Bush whatsoever because the play is not about killing anybody in real life.  It's a title of a play, not a death threat.  If someone emailed Bush and said "I'm going to kill you", then I would have a problem with that.  However, nobody has done that.  I find it strange how little comprehension people have of the preceding facts.

The whole point of this play was probably to get conservatives jumping up and down yelling "Treason!"  To that end it has succeeded extremely well.

I would like the conservatives who are against this movie to answer the following question.  Suppose the year is currently 1997 and Clinton was in office.  Suppose further that a conservative playwright made this movie at that time.  Would you still be in such opposition to it?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 09:47:32 PM »

You liberals think it's no big deal? Call the Secret Service, say "I'm gonna kill the President", hang up, and see what happens...

It's an obvous threat. I don't know what's more disturbing, the threat itself, or the lack of concern.

It's the title of a play in which no real-life killing occurs whatsoever.  If its title was, "There is a Bomb in this Building", would that be a bomb threat?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 10:26:44 PM »

I think the main point of disagreement is whether this is actually a death threat.  Nobody has said that death threats are protected speech; the argument is whether or not this actually is a death threat.  One side thinks that, being the title of a play, it's not.  The other side thinks that, given its wording, it is.  Somehow I doubt that we're ever going to come to an agreement.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2004, 03:29:23 AM »

"I'm gonna Kill The President"

-Play Title

Pretty straightforward, I think.

Yes, it's a play title.  Not an actual threat from anybody.  From the New York Metro link given above:

"The point is that a dalliance with the fantasy of assassination has nothing to do with, and isn’t likely to lead to, committing the act itself."

I do, however, strongly object to the part where the audience is encouraged to phone the White House and say "I'm gonna kill the President".  I was unaware of that part.  I would be fine with this if it completely remained in a fantasy realm separated from reality; however, that particular act comes too close to an actual death threat aimed towards Bush.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2004, 03:32:44 AM »

Are there any sane people left on the Left?  Anyone want to comdem this behavior?  Funny how you will attack decorated Vietnam vets, but you can't bring yourselves to critizes this.

I just criticized it, based on new information that came to light.  Happy? Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies