Your vote in this match-up - McCain vs. Obama
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:48:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Your vote in this match-up - McCain vs. Obama
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: If the election were held today, for whom would you vote?
Barack Obama

John McCain

Undecided

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 89

Author Topic: Your vote in this match-up - McCain vs. Obama  (Read 5013 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2008, 06:14:46 PM »

That'd make you an independent actually, but you support a Republican for the top office.

So voting for someone of the opposite party for President makes you a member of that party? Your lack of common sense saddens me.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You're still literally getting off to that one, eh?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2008, 06:24:27 PM »

That'd make you an independent actually, but you support a Republican for the top office. In addition I remember you supporting a Republican for Senate in my state who lost with less than 40% of the vote and by 20 points in a crushing landslide. That would make you a pretty die-hard GOP partisan then since those are basically the only people who voted for him.

But in the last midterms most of the candidates I supported were Democrats. How many "die-hard GOP partisans" support Democrats more often than they support Republicans? But, hey, if you don't WANT independents to identify as Democrats I guess you have the right to. And if you furthermore want to convince them of being Republicans, feel free. I don't see how it benefits you or your party much though. 
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2008, 06:27:39 PM »

Then why do you support a Bush clone to continue over him and endorse a 100% lockstep voting Bushbot over a relatively moderate Democrat in my state who only die-hard GOP partisans voted for?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2008, 06:40:29 PM »

Then why do you support a Bush clone to continue over him and endorse a 100% lockstep voting Bushbot over a relatively moderate Democrat in my state who only die-hard GOP partisans voted for?

He wanted a GOP Senate?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2008, 06:47:49 PM »

Back to the question at hand.

I would vote for John McCain.

McCain is infinitely more qualified than Obama to deal successfully with issues of national security.   
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2008, 06:48:46 PM »

And he actually has a record of working across party lines to pass legislation, something I have yet to see from Barack Obama... 
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2008, 06:49:29 PM »

And he actually has a record of working across party lines to pass legislation, something I have yet to see from Barack Obama... 

The Obama-Coburn ethics reform legislation.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2008, 06:49:45 PM »

He wanted a GOP Senate?

Sounds pretty Republican to me.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2008, 06:50:29 PM »

Also the Obama-Lugar legislation to halt nuclear proliferation.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2008, 06:50:42 PM »

Never heard of that one. 
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2008, 06:52:09 PM »

Never heard of that one. 

How about the Obama-Lugar legislation?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2008, 07:31:01 PM »
« Edited: February 24, 2008, 07:34:04 PM by Verily »

Never heard of that one. 

I'll let you sift by yourself:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Obama+Coburn+ethics+reform&btnG=Search
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22Obama-Coburn+Transparency+Act%22&btnG=Search

It actually makes me as angry that no one appreciates Coburn for this as that no one appreciates Obama. I disagree with Coburn on almost everything else, but on ethics, there are no Senators better than Obama and Coburn, except maybe Feingold. Including McCain.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2008, 07:36:19 PM »

I obviously don't consider McCain a Bush-clone. Most people don't, because he's not. There was something about Kennedy that I liked. It was never such a big deal to me as it apparently was to you. I supported numerous Democrats for other elections. By your logic that would make me a Democrat. And I can't be both at the same time, which is why your statement makes no sense.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2008, 08:33:45 PM »

I obviously don't consider McCain a Bush-clone. Most people don't, because he's not. There was something about Kennedy that I liked. It was never such a big deal to me as it apparently was to you. I supported numerous Democrats for other elections. By your logic that would make me a Democrat. And I can't be both at the same time, which is why your statement makes no sense.

McCain sure as hell isn't the maverick he use to be.....
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2008, 09:57:26 PM »

He's maverick enough for most people in the real world (at least for now), which is what counts most. 
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2008, 10:10:48 PM »

very undecided.  i have mixed feelings.

id probably end up voting for obama.    his views on economic and social issues are close to mine. 

everyone knows my biggest issue is health care.  mccain is on the 'wrong side' of that issue.

on the other hand, if the terrorists strike, yeah, id feel more comfortable with mccain in the oval office.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2008, 10:13:16 PM »

McCain MAYBE if PA's close. Otherwise, third party.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2008, 10:21:04 PM »

Allow me to reword this post to reflect what I was originally thinking:

He (McCain) actually has a record of working across party lines to pass legislation even a majority of his own party does not support, something I have yet to see from Barack Obama. 
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2008, 10:23:55 PM »

Obama.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2008, 10:59:21 PM »

He's maverick enough for most people in the real world (at least for now), which is what counts most. 

On what exactly is he a maverick on now compared to his party other than perhaps global Warming??

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2008, 11:20:32 PM »

On what exactly is he a maverick on now compared to his party other than perhaps global Warming??

Anyone less divisive than George W. Bush is a maverick that should be championed... duh!

I chose Obama for this poll.  Though I think the choices of Obama or McCain are certainly the best we've had in quite a long time.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2008, 12:04:07 AM »

John McCain
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp