Harry's in Afghanistan!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:35:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Harry's in Afghanistan!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Harry's in Afghanistan!  (Read 2602 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 28, 2008, 04:41:31 PM »
« edited: February 28, 2008, 05:34:18 PM by J. J. »

HRH Prince Henry (AKA Prince Harry) has been fighting in Afghanistan with UK forces for the last three months!   Way to go!!! Smiley

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/latest/2008/02/28/prince-harry-has-been-fighting-taliban-89520-20334904/

The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 04:42:24 PM »

Good for him.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 05:27:45 PM »

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 05:28:37 PM »

Afghaniwhere?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 05:30:59 PM »

Glad to see the HRH is doing something worthwhile.  Good for him!

But is he in a Nazi uniform?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 07:52:54 PM »

I thought at first this was referring to Harry from Mississippi. Tongue

Big deal.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 08:21:57 PM »

He actually seems more mature now, since he has been in the Army than ever before. Good for Harry Smiley.

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 12:11:14 AM »

Good for Harry.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 06:28:29 AM »

Not for much longer:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7270743.stm
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 08:31:03 AM »
« Edited: February 29, 2008, 08:34:41 AM by MODU »

I need to find a picture of it, but before I left the house today, they were showing Harry being interviewed by someone in Afghanistan, and he's sitting there wearing a beige US Military ball cap.  hahaha . . . I'm waiting for the Brit tabloids to run an article saying something like "The Brit military hid Harry so well be making him join the US Army" or something like that.

EDIT:  Found a picture.

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 09:55:47 AM »
« Edited: February 29, 2008, 10:14:49 AM by Enrico Pallazzo »

According to the reports, the Ministry of Defense made a deal with the press to keep it under wraps for the safety and security of Harry and the rest of his battalion.  That was, at least, until the Drudge Report broke the news and forced the story out into the open, causing Harry to be recalled.

Congratulations Matt Drudge, you f**cking moron.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 10:19:36 AM »
« Edited: February 29, 2008, 10:22:41 AM by MODU »

It was broken by an Austrailian magazine in January, and then again by Germany.  Drudge just made it more public (just goes to show how crappy those two magazines were).  Smiley

EDIT:  Here's a good (and funny) article about it.

"Australian magazine broke Prince Harry story"

Australians angrily condemned the decision of a weekly women's magazine to break the news blackout on Prince Harry's deployment to Afghanistan.

The story was published in Australian tabloid magazine New Idea last month but not followed up by other media.

In an article on its website dated January 7, the magazine - nicknamed in Australia 'No Idea' - reported that Harry had seen front line action in Afghanistan despite opposition from the British government and members of the Royal family.

New Idea said it could "exclusively reveal" that the "maverick prince" had already seen front-line action.

The story was then picked up by a German newspaper and, yesterday, the US-based Drudge Report website, triggering world wide interest.

(Cont...)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 10:24:02 AM »

It was broken by an Austrailian magazine in January, and then again by Germany.  Drudge just made it more public (just goes to show how crappy those two magazines were).  Smiley

I prefer to go with the theory that the story was broken by those two magazines, but not followed up by any other media out of respect for the news blackout and the prince's safety.  Of course, Drudge is pervasive enough that once he opened his tactless hole, the rest of the world had little choice but to admit the truth too.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 10:41:29 AM »

It was broken by an Australian magazine in January, and then again by Germany.  Drudge just made it more public (just goes to show how crappy those two magazines were).  Smiley

I prefer to go with the theory that the story was broken by those two magazines, but not followed up by any other media out of respect for the news blackout and the prince's safety.  Of course, Drudge is pervasive enough that once he opened his tactless hole, the rest of the world had little choice but to admit the truth too.

That's what makes him a media GOD!  Tongue  However, I am a bit surprised that the Royal Army didn't pull him back in January when it was first leaked.  I guess they thought no good-minded terrorist (or anyone else) reads Australian girly magazines.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 10:47:14 AM »
« Edited: February 29, 2008, 10:51:12 AM by Bono »

I don't see why the media should kowtow to any news black outs. Isn't that just a velveted form of censorship?

To quote Drudge himself: ""In every state and nearly every civilized nation in the developed world, readers know where to go for action and reaction of news -- at least one day ahead... Free from any corporate concerns, there are simply too many to thank since the site's inception in 1994. This new attempt at the old American experiment of full freedom in reporting is ever exciting. Those in power have everything to lose by individuals who march to their own rules."
Keep fighting them Drudge.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2008, 10:56:31 AM »

The point of the blackout, Bono, was to protect the safety of Prince Harry and the rest of his regiment.  It's called common sense and common decency.  Matt Drudge has never been particularly renowned for possessing either.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2008, 10:58:01 AM »

I don't see why the media should kowtow to any news black outs. Isn't that just a velveted form of censorship?

Well, there are definitely times where it is in everyone's best interest for a media outlet to sit on a story for a while, especially in times of war when we are strategically placing people/equipment for a surprise maneuver and/or covert operations.  One of my favorite SNL skits in of Stormin' Norman giving one of his Persian Gulf War press conferences and the media kept asking him about where and what time we were planning to invade Iraq.  It's a funny skit, but it is a slap in the face of modern media who think that it is their job to tell our enemies what our plans are before have a chance to act on them.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2008, 10:58:48 AM »

The point of the blackout, Bono, was to protect the safety of Prince Harry and the rest of his regiment.  It's called common sense and common decency.  Matt Drudge has never been particularly renowned for possessing either.

^^^^^

Also it's a great shame has has to come home and won't serve out his first tour. I think Prince Harry really has to be admired here. He didn't have to do it. No one does (unless you join the army) but he wanted to go and when he did he was on the front line. Same goes for all the boys out there. Thumbs up too for his 'Granny Liz' who let him.  I wish the same could be said for the sons and grandsons of many politicians on both sides of the Atlantic.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2008, 11:02:39 AM »

To quote Drudge himself: ""In every state and nearly every civilized nation in the developed world, readers know where to go for action and reaction of news -- at least one day ahead... Free from any corporate concerns, there are simply too many to thank since the site's inception in 1994. This new attempt at the old American experiment of full freedom in reporting is ever exciting. Those in power have everything to lose by individuals who march to their own rules."
Keep fighting them Drudge.

What a load of crap. The British media were free to report whatever they wanted, but they understood that choosing to do so would potentially endanger British lives.

What would be interesting would be seeing if Mr. Drudge would publish stories which would endanger the safety of Americans and what kind of reaction that would generate.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2008, 01:19:16 PM »

Exactly. Compromising the safety of the third-in-line to the British throne and those serving alongside him is out of order. Harry will be even more of a marked man on his return to the UK now Sad

It's highly commendable that the Prince was doing an active tour of duty in Afghanistan. I suspect many in his closest counsel didn't want him to serve and with good reason

Dave
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2008, 06:38:53 AM »

yet we have soldiers dying out there because of lack of equipment.

If that's a concern then you should be 'pretty pissed off' with the government.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2008, 10:46:14 AM »

I have many issues with the Government, but I believe the royals are at the centre of it all.
Whatever they cost the taxpayer is something I want back - whether it's £100 or 1p. What do they add to this country?

So it's the Royals fault the troops are not correctly funded and supported?

Are you being serious?
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2008, 10:55:40 AM »

No it's not their fault.
But the money that they cost us could be spend on much better things.

They bring in far more than they get in terms of tourism- and they don't cost that much.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2008, 10:59:18 AM »

You guys are missing a key point here.  If Drudge knew, if the Aussie Magazine knew, it was only a matter of time before "the bad guys" knew.  Drudge blowing it worldwide may have saved lives.

(hell, it may have all been planned out this way so he wouldn't have to serve out his tour)

(not that I'm in any way questioning his balls.  I could go work in Iraq or elsewhere at the drop of a hat and triple my wage, but I like my head on my shoulders and my young children would miss their father and I'd miss them.  No one made him go, he could have avoided it he wanted to.  The guys got balls.  You'd have to wear a Nazi uniform right? Smiley )
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2008, 11:19:16 AM »

The palaces bring in tourism, not them.
I'm not suggesting we destroy any of OUR palaces/towers/royal castles etc.
Look at the French - they got rid of their royalty and their tourism didn't suffer.

Republic is the way to go

The palaces bring in tourism because of them.

OK, a Republic. Who should be President then?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies