Student Suspended For Opening Deli On Campus
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:09:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Student Suspended For Opening Deli On Campus  (Read 1163 times)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 29, 2008, 11:09:50 AM »

www.10news.com/news/15430898/detail.html?rss=sand&psp=news

POSTED: 4:11 pm PST February 27, 2008
UPDATED: 4:34 pm PST February 27, 2008

LA JOLLA, Calif. -- A La Jolla high school student is in hot water for opening a deli on campus.

Matt Wong, 17, loves making sandwiches, so he took his pastime from his kitchen to his school's quad.

On his first day, he had 14 orders before lunchtime.

However, his operation left a sour taste in his principal's mouth.

Wong was ordered to shut down his deli because of health concerns and permit issues.

"He was quite serious about making sure no one got a sandwich. But I managed to get them all out," said Wong.

While the principal suspended Wong for two days for not following orders, students said they enjoyed the gourmet sandwiches.

Copyright 2008 by 10News.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

This principal should be immediately fired for trying to stomp this youthful display of entrepreneurship.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 11:15:50 AM »

When I was in high school, a kid got suspended for bring a small grill to school and making hamburgers.                       
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 11:30:43 AM »

And when a kid gets food poisoning, who do you think the parent is going to sue?  The school (or as I like to call it, everybody).

Yes it's stupid the principal shut the kid down.  But it's even more stupid that the schools always get stuck with the bill when the sh**t goes sour in every situation possible that even remotely involves the school.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 11:34:14 AM »

The principal is perfectly right in this case to shut down "the deli."  Now, if the kid is interested in side-stepping the rule, he can make the sandwiches at home, and then disburse them to the interested students, rather than making them on campus.  The principal would have no real reason to stop that, unless there is a strict "no selling of anything" on campus rule in place.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 11:34:59 AM »

Well, I understand the principle's concerns. However, rather than shutting down the student entirely he should have asked the student to shut down temporarily in order to get the permit and health issues sorted out. The student should have been involved in that process, be it going to the school board and other authorities to see if it could be allowed, which would be very educational for him seeing as he seems likely to open a full deli in the future.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 12:05:58 PM »

Well, I understand the principle's concerns. However, rather than shutting down the student entirely he should have asked the student to shut down temporarily in order to get the permit and health issues sorted out. The student should have been involved in that process, be it going to the school board and other authorities to see if it could be allowed, which would be very educational for him seeing as he seems likely to open a full deli in the future.

Exactly, there is no reason that the student should be suspended...which effectively puts him behind in his education for merely taking a proactive approach to something he likes to do.  What?  making some sandwhiches means he's some kind of hoodlum?  School systems overreact constantly to this type of stuff, and I really think discipline is based on the temperment of the principal and teachers in most districts, it's a shame.  Suspending this kid is going WAY overboard. 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 12:35:52 PM »

Oh lord!  Capitalism!  Save it before it disappears from god's green earth!
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 04:05:01 PM »

In Mississippi, it's illegal for any food other than the cafeteria food to be sold on campus (meaning all drink and snack machines off) during lunch hours, so perhaps there's a similar law in CA.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 05:32:44 PM »

while I don't think letting a student set up a sandwich stand on campus is necessarily a good idea, I think suspension is a little harsh.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 05:50:27 PM »

What high school is this (I'm in the area)?
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 06:08:46 PM »
« Edited: March 01, 2008, 10:53:13 AM by Bono »

What high school is this (I'm in the area)?

Why, are you on the mood for some sandwiches?
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 07:43:17 PM »

The principal is perfectly right in this case to shut down "the deli."  Now, if the kid is interested in side-stepping the rule, he can make the sandwiches at home, and then disburse them to the interested students, rather than making them on campus.  The principal would have no real reason to stop that, unless there is a strict "no selling of anything" on campus rule in place.

Perhaps, but the fact that the principal did not reason and explain that a health permit was needed for genuine public safety reasons, and just flatly shut down this operation, suggests he's just afraid of competition.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 07:46:25 PM »

Our Lunch program is afraid of competition so they refused to let a local ice cream shop come sell ice-cream for cancer kids. Beat that.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 11:46:27 PM »

at my high school, kids would be suspended for 1-3 days for selling candy bars out of their backpacks during school hours.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies