Just did some Voter Canvassing
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:56:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Just did some Voter Canvassing
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Just did some Voter Canvassing  (Read 3312 times)
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 01, 2008, 05:48:22 PM »

I just got done doing voter canvassing for the Obama campaign here in Columbus.  I knocked on 50 doors, 25 people answered, and I spoke to about 10 supporters.  I talked to 4 Republicans who indicated they had a positive opinion of Obama.  I also talked to 3 Hillary supporters and 5 undecided voters.  It was a very interesting experience and it really forced me to think about why I support Obama because I had to state my case to people who were not always very receptive.  I actually got into a friendly health care debate with one of Obama's supporters.

One thing I thought was weird is that the campaign didn't give us any talking points.  They just told us to explain why we support Obama.  I think I could have been more effective if I had his actual policies on a cheat sheet.  I usually rely on his website or other online sources when talking about him on here and that really hurt my ability to argue for him out on the street.

Anyways, I had a great time and if Obama is the nominee in November I'll definitely do it again.  Also, I would encourage anyone who is interested in volunteering to do the same thing.  If your state has already voted then I would encourage you to drive to a neighboring state if you can.  There were lots of people from Indiana who were canvassing with me as well as some all the way from DC!
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 05:54:03 PM »

The Edwards campaign called me up one time [because I signed up for their campaign months ago] and asked if I was still interested in helping out...and they were going to have me canvas for him but they wanted me to fly alllll the way up to New Hampshire....

I was like "oh...you going to pay for my plane ticket and room/boarding too..?"

Didnt get much of a response after that...so that was the end of that discussion. Tongue

I wish I could have done it in Virginia for Obama, but they never got back to me about anything. Dissapointing.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 05:54:57 PM »

When canvassing always remember this truth:

At least half the bastards are lying to you.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 06:01:34 PM »

That reminds me when my Grans local state member visited her at her house, and he said that's a great thing to say Mrs. Windler. My Gran later told me and it was quite obvious, that he probably said that to everybody, except for the Mrs. Windler part.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 06:30:16 PM »

I canvassed a bit for Obama at the beginning of February (but am now largely only doing phone calls and visibility), and I agree that it was a very good experience, as it really forced me to articulate why exactly I support Obama, besides the fact that he's not Clinton. In many ways, it's made me more excited about him, which is definitely a good thing. And the majority of people are (or pretend to be) very nice and happy to talk to you, which is always good.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 08:36:30 PM »

I considered doing this in Wisconsin but my sleep schedule and insomnia made it too difficult. I might do some calling in other states later though.
Chipmunk
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 0.35

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 10:21:39 PM »

How do you get involved with this?  I just realized that I'm registered 2 and a half hours away and I've been too busy to get an absentee ballot, so I don't think I'll be able to vote.  If I could help convince some others to vote, I might feel less guilty about that. 

Plus I love talking to random people.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 11:16:17 PM »

How do you get involved with this?  I just realized that I'm registered 2 and a half hours away and I've been too busy to get an absentee ballot, so I don't think I'll be able to vote.  If I could help convince some others to vote, I might feel less guilty about that. 

Plus I love talking to random people.

If you want to do voter canvassing in Columbus then you should go to 1395 Dublin Rd in Columbus.  They also have a call center there if you want to work phones instead of walking around.  You should probably call them before showing up.  The number is 614-246-4407.

Where are you registered to vote?  I did a little research on the Ohio Secretary of State's website and as long as you are registered in Ohio you should be able to cast a provisional ballot either Monday or even Election Day if you follow the proper address changing procedures.  Here's a link that tells you how you can vote provisionally: http://www.sos.state.oh.us/sos/PublicAffairs/VoterInfoGuide.aspx?Section=19  If the link doesn't work then go the Secretary of State's website at http://www.sos.state.oh.us/index.aspx click on Voter Information and then click Provisional Voting.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 02:56:40 PM »

...which goes for both the canvassers and the canvassed...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 02:58:32 PM »

...which goes for both the canvassers and the canvassed...

Yep. For example, Dennis Potter not liking lying about his views on immigration being one of the reasons why he gave up on active politics after one attempt.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 03:49:48 PM »

First, was your canvassing done all on one day?

Second, if so, what day of the week did you do your canvassing?

Third, during what time span in a day did you do your canvassing? 

Fourth, did you use a voter registration list?

Fifth, did you use a proable primary voter list?

Sixth, did you have any literature to leave for people who were not at home?  Door know hangers, etc.

Seventh, was everyone aware of the polling place location?

Eighth, did you have any absentee forms for those who might be unable to get to the polling place?

Ninth, was all the canvassing done in one precinct?
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 06:47:49 PM »

Anyways, I had a great time and if Obama is the nominee in November I'll definitely do it again.

Good on you Smiley
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2008, 07:56:59 PM »

I'll probably volunteer for Clinton's campaign if she makes it to Pennsylvania.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2008, 03:54:43 PM »

Sixth, did you have any literature to leave for people who were not at home?  Door know hangers, etc.

Eighth, did you have any absentee forms for those who might be unable to get to the polling place?

1. yes
2. Saturday
3. 1pm-4pm
4&5. I used what I assume was a list of registered voters who have previously voted in Democratic primaries, voters who have not voted in any recent primaries, or people who have donated to the Obama campaign.
6. Yes, I had a door hanger that I left on all the unanswered doors and gave to all undecided voters.
7. Yes, everyone seemed to be aware of their polling location.  It was also listed on the door hanger.
8. I did not have an absentee form.  I did have information on early voting as well as a sign up list for those needing a ride to the polls.  (no one I talked to needed either)
9. Yes, all the canvassing was in a single precinct.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 09:32:15 AM »

1. yes
2. Saturday
3. 1pm-4pm
4&5. I used what I assume was a list of registered voters who have previously voted in Democratic primaries, voters who have not voted in any recent primaries, or people who have donated to the Obama campaign.
6. Yes, I had a door hanger that I left on all the unanswered doors and gave to all undecided voters.
7. Yes, everyone seemed to be aware of their polling location.  It was also listed on the door hanger.
8. I did not have an absentee form.  I did have information on early voting as well as a sign up list for those needing a ride to the polls.  (no one I talked to needed either)

Good job.

Have you done this before?

Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2008, 02:10:09 PM »

1. yes
2. Saturday
3. 1pm-4pm

Good job.

Have you done this before?

Thanks!  This was my first time.  The only part I didn't like was that I was by myself.  I have two friends who also wanted to come but they had to work.  Sad  I think it would be much more fun in a small group.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2008, 02:22:07 AM »

Its great as a reality check,

Every time I do canvassing I carefully prepare, but still have butterflies.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2008, 07:17:56 AM »

Let me guess. You canvass for Democrats? Wink
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2008, 09:28:46 AM »

Let me guess. You canvass for Democrats? Wink

I canvass for specific candidates,

Generally prefer the primaries, where most elections are decided.

There are a number of conservative Democrats in local elective office, which I helped to nominate/elect.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies