Hagel 2008?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:55:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Hagel 2008?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hagel 2008?  (Read 8236 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 18, 2004, 10:37:39 PM »

I was watching the CNN news-ticker when all of the sudden I see something about Chuch Hagel. I was about to turn to another channel but I figured I should find out what this news was about. I couldn't believe it when I got done reading. Apparently, Hagel told a local newspaper in Nebraska is considering a 2008 run for the Presidency. Now do I care if Hagel wants to consider a 2008 run? No. I could care less. However, I do care that in the middle of a Presidential campaign Hagel comes out and says he might be running in 4 years.

I don't like that he did this because right now our goal, as Republicans, should be to re-elect President Bush and focus on this election that is occuring right now, not 4 years from now. I think Hagel should have made a similar statement in response to a possible 2008 run question. Now what if Santorum or Frist made a statement like this about running? Would I be happy that they are considering? Of course. But would I like the timing? Nope. Not at all. Now we all know there are people out there looking into a 2008 run but won't openly say they are considering. While they might not be giving out all the info, they are doing the right thing by concentrating on the current election.

So what do you think?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 08:02:46 AM »

what do i think?

most politicians are only concerned about themselves.  trust me, chuck hagel, when he isnt bragging about his closeness to john mccain, probably spends the better part of the day idolizing himself in the mirror.

i just hope a normal republican runs in 08.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2004, 10:36:00 AM »

I'd vote for Chuck Hagel.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2004, 10:59:16 AM »

There is not much Chuck Hagel can do to help Bush's re-election campaign. The only state in which he has any clout will 99.9% of the time go for Bush. All he said was he is considering one. It's not going to take any media time away from Bush, it doesn't hurt Bush. No one will talk about it, they are too enamored with the 2004 Campaign. And, face it, Chuck Hagel is not going to get the nomination. If John McCain said that, it might actually matter, because there would be a lot of stories about it and he is a better known figure than a Senator from Nebraska.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2004, 11:06:27 AM »

There is not much Chuck Hagel can do to help Bush's re-election campaign. The only state in which he has any clout will 99.9% of the time go for Bush. All he said was he is considering one. It's not going to take any media time away from Bush, it doesn't hurt Bush. No one will talk about it, they are too enamored with the 2004 Campaign. And, face it, Chuck Hagel is not going to get the nomination. If John McCain said that, it might actually matter, because there would be a lot of stories about it and he is a better known figure than a Senator from Nebraska.

I know Nebraska is solid for Bush but that is not the point. And the fact that no one will be talking about this isn't the point either. The point is we have a Presidential election this year to focus on. If he came out November 3rd and made this statement, I wouldn't mind (sure it would be annoying that he is talking about an election 4 years away the day after the last election finished but atleast it wasn't during the campaign.) Out of respect for our President - the GOP nominee - Hagel should have said he would address the issue at a later time.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2004, 11:08:06 AM »

I know Nebraska is solid for Bush but that is not the point. And the fact that no one will be talking about this isn't the point either. The point is we have a Presidential election this year to focus on. If he came out November 3rd and made this statement, I wouldn't mind (sure it would be annoying that he is talking about an election 4 years away the day after the last election finished but atleast it wasn't during the campaign.) Out of respect for our President - the GOP nominee - Hagel should have said he would address the issue at a later time.

Then why are you focusing on this? Shouldn't you be out on the streets of Philadelphia (Or Pittsburgh, or wherever you live) rallying supporters for the President?

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2004, 11:19:34 AM »

Then why are you focusing on this? Shouldn't you be out on the streets of Philadelphia (Or Pittsburgh, or wherever you live) rallying supporters for the President?

I'm bringing this up because I thought it wasn't a good move on his part. I'm not focusing on this as much as you think. And believe me, I'll be rallying supporters of the President in Philadelphia (the few that are here, make sure they vote) and surrounding areas Smiley
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2004, 11:21:53 AM »

I'm bringing this up because I thought it wasn't a good move on his part. I'm not focusing on this as much as you think. And believe me, I'll be rallying supporters of the President in Philadelphia (the few that are here, make sure they vote) and surrounding areas Smiley

If I was a Bush supporter, comments by Chuck Hagel would be pretty low down on my worries list.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2004, 11:24:57 AM »

If I was a Bush supporter, comments by Chuck Hagel would be pretty low down on my worries list.

Like I said, I don't worry about his comments. It's just the timing of the comments that I don't like. I could care less if he considers running or if he even does run.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2004, 11:27:20 AM »

Like I said, I don't worry about his comments. It's just the timing of the comments that I don't like. I could care less if he considers running or if he even does run.

Has he expanded on it? My impression is he just mentioned it in the passing. Is he making a big deal out of it?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2004, 11:30:40 AM »

Has he expanded on it? My impression is he just mentioned it in the passing. Is he making a big deal out of it?

He's not making a big deal about it. My point is this: whether Hagel is considering a run or not, I don't care. It's the fact that in the middle of a Presidential campaign he is bringing up his possible candidacy. Out of respect for my party's nominee, Hagel should have left comments like that for after the election.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2004, 11:34:28 AM »

He's not making a big deal about it. My point is this: whether Hagel is considering a run or not, I don't care. It's the fact that in the middle of a Presidential campaign he is bringing up his possible candidacy. Out of respect for my party's nominee, Hagel should have left comments like that for after the election.

I don't see how it's disrespectful.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2004, 11:41:54 AM »

It's disrespectful because we are approaching the Republican convention and Hagel is making comments saying he is considering an '08 run. This is before we are about to re-nominate our candidate and it's coming in the middle of an election. Let me put it this way..what if Hillary Clinton announced she was considering a 2008 run right before the Dem convention. Wouldn't you think that she should wait till after the election to make such a statement?
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2004, 12:05:36 PM »

It's disrespectful because we are approaching the Republican convention and Hagel is making comments saying he is considering an '08 run. This is before we are about to re-nominate our candidate and it's coming in the middle of an election. Let me put it this way..what if Hillary Clinton announced she was considering a 2008 run right before the Dem convention. Wouldn't you think that she should wait till after the election to make such a statement?

That is different, because if Hillary were to run in 2008, she would, hopefully, be forced to wage an inter-party battle against an incumbent President. Do I think Hagel's comments were ill-timed, yes. Do I think it matters in the grand scheme of things, no. Also, Hillary is the most famous Senator in America whose Presidential aspirations have been talked about endlessly. The Chuck Hagel-Hillary Clinton analogy is extremly faulty.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2004, 12:10:05 PM »

The Chuck Hagel-Hillary Clinton analogy is extremly faulty.

Point is: Both would be bad timed announcements when it comes to respect towards their nominees. The reaction to a Clinton announcement would be very different from the Hagel announcement but bad timing is still bad timing no matter who is announcing their consideration.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2004, 12:13:55 PM »

Do I think Hagel's comments were ill-timed, yes.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2004, 12:14:59 PM »

Sorry. I read that wrong. I thought it said well-timed. My mistake.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2004, 12:16:21 PM »

Sorry. I read that wrong. I thought it said well-timed. My mistake.

That's ok. So basically, I think they were ill-timed but overall it doesn't matter and won't have any negative effects.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2004, 12:28:04 PM »

Anyone got the exact quote?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: