U.S. is still overwhelmingly Christian, study finds
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 06:48:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  U.S. is still overwhelmingly Christian, study finds
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: U.S. is still overwhelmingly Christian, study finds  (Read 4934 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 25, 2008, 05:36:42 PM »

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-religion26feb26,0,4582086.story

Yeah, in other news the sky is still blue, but I found this interesting:

But Catholics also lost more adherents than any other single religious group in the United States, with one in three adults who were raised as Catholics no longer in that church, the study said. Roughly 10% of Americans are former Catholics.

"These losses would have been even more pronounced were it not for the offsetting impact of immigration," the study said.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 06:17:00 PM »

My guess is that, with nonreligious and atheist identification becoming more mainstream, nonreligious people who in the past identified as Catholic (due to heritage, ceremony, etc.) are now identifying as nonreligious. Nonreligious people identifying with a religion has, historically, been pretty much exclusively a Catholic phenomenon, so it would strike Catholicism harder for "no religion" to become mainstream.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 06:23:59 PM »

My guess is that, with nonreligious and atheist identification becoming more mainstream, nonreligious people who in the past identified as Catholic (due to heritage, ceremony, etc.) are now identifying as nonreligious. Nonreligious people identifying with a religion has, historically, been pretty much exclusively a Catholic phenomenon, so it would strike Catholicism harder for "no religion" to become mainstream.

But only 16.1% of Americans in the study are unaffiliated, and ex-Catholics make up around 10%. There's clearly some overlap, but that's not just it.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 07:02:00 PM »

Yay. Christianity is still cool in America.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 01:09:53 AM »

Only 51% are Protestants now.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 01:20:34 PM »

Jews.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 07:19:36 PM »

Who cares? We are still a majority! Tongue
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 07:26:54 PM »

Self-identified Protestants are, actual Protestants are probably not (for the first time, maybe)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 08:35:13 PM »

Self-identified Protestants are, actual Protestants are probably not (for the first time, maybe)

What's the difference?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 10:08:59 PM »

What's the difference?

Cultural Protestantism/Methodism/whatever.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 06:21:48 PM »

What's the difference?

Cultural Protestantism/Methodism/whatever.
Being a member of a church or a denomination of "community" reasons?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 01:02:59 AM »

Yes.

I know a good portion of my friends were "Methodists" and "Lutherans" without having a shade of an idea of what that was, and even being unable to identify themselves as "Protestants."  One thought they were a Catholic.

Cultural Protestantism is possible too.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 05:47:07 PM »

And a pretty large percentage of these self professed "christians" attend services on maybe christmas and easter.
A better question would be how many americans are Practicing or active christians.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 05:50:37 PM »

And a pretty large percentage of these self professed "christians" attend services on maybe christmas and easter.
A better question would be how many americans are Practicing or active christians.

Welcome back!  *hughughug*
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 02:01:35 AM »

Right.  Studies like this mean nothing if they don't tell us how many people actually go to church (or otherwise actively worship) at least once a week.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2008, 11:44:06 PM »

Pretty much.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2008, 01:55:35 AM »

I tend to think that many if not a majority of the Easter and Christmas attendees are better Christians in practice than the weekly front pewers. Church, like most humanly organized endeavors, can lend itself to self righteousness, hypocrisy and gossip.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2008, 03:28:38 AM »

Jews.

There aren't enough Jews in the country to change the numbers much. Maybe if you were doing a New York City-area subsample or something it would be worth looking at.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2008, 08:05:03 AM »

I tend to think that many if not a majority of the Easter and Christmas attendees are better Christians in practice than the weekly front pewers. Church, like most humanly organized endeavors, can lend itself to self righteousness, hypocrisy and gossip.

^^^
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2008, 05:41:16 PM »

^^^

this is probably impossible to quantify: for one thing Americans tell pollsters they attend church more than they actually do. I have a feeling ppl who doubt the existance of God but who live in communities that are strongly religious are unlikely to admit their doubts, even to an anonymous pollster.

I for example pray almost every day, but rarely go to church.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2008, 06:16:13 PM »

I attend church at least 3-4 times a month, usually.  I haven't been in the past month because of weather and moving, but I normally go to church at least 3 Sundays every month.  I don't normally go on Wednesday nights because I'm usually too busy getting ready for work Thursday morning.  I do pray about 4-5 times a day on average just as a friend talks to a friend or as a child talks to a father.  I read my Bible at least 5-6 days a week outside of church.

I don't believe that these actions make a Christian, but that as a Christian, I WANT to do these things.  As long as you believe in Christ, your place in heaven is secured and guaranteed whether or not you do the actions that I mentioned.  I believe, though, in order to be an effective Christian on this earth and live as Christ called you to live that you do need to do those things.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2008, 07:58:58 PM »

Hmmm... lemme gues...

51% protestants
25% Fundies
10% mainline protestants
15% non-practicing protestants

16% agnostic