PA PrimD: Survey USA: Clinton far ahead of Obama
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:26:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Primary Election Polls
  PA PrimD: Survey USA: Clinton far ahead of Obama
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: PA PrimD: Survey USA: Clinton far ahead of Obama  (Read 8217 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 11, 2008, 11:05:28 AM »

New Poll: Pennsylvania President by Survey USA on 2008-03-10

Summary:
Clinton:
55%
Obama:
36%
Other:
6%
Undecided:
3%

Poll Source URL: Full Poll Details

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 11:08:29 AM »

North-West PA:

Clinton: 79%
Obama: 19%

South-West PA:

Clinton: 58%
Obama: 27%

West-Central PA:

Clinton: 76%
Obama: 17%

South-Central PA:

Clinton: 55%
Obama: 40%

North-East PA:

Clinton: 58%
Obama: 33%

South-East PA:

Clinton: 48%
Obama: 46%
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 11:10:55 AM »

If you ask me: A lost cause.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 11:10:59 AM »

Ouch.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 11:14:25 AM »

About what I would expect (maybe a little high, but...).  Still time to get it closer, obviously.  But we all know how many problems he's going to have in west PA and NE PA.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 11:23:56 AM »

He's got a month to campaign there and he has an assload of money still.  PA's demographics are great for Hillary and the campaign there hasn't even started.  Give it a week or two. 
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 11:25:05 AM »

Has Obama started campaigning here?  If so, to what degree?
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 11:27:29 AM »

Could PA be any worse for Obama than OH? There is, of course, ample time for Obama to campaign and close the gap

Dave
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 11:52:14 AM »

Interesting.  Wow.  80% of the vote is white and Obama gets 29% of it?  Fortunately all those white Democrats will all come back home in November and vote for Obama.

Yeah, sure they will.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 12:16:52 PM »

Could PA be any worse for Obama than OH? There is, of course, ample time for Obama to campaign and close the gap

Dave

Actually, yeah it could. PA is closed which will reduce crossovers by a significant amount simply because Obama now has two weeks to re-register independents and Republicans where they could simply request to change affiliation at the polling station. Pennsylvania also has a slightly smaller percentage of blacks and unlike in Ohio, Obama won't have the endorsement and machine of the mayors of the bigger cities (Rendell, Nutter, and Street are backing Hillary; Mallory and Jackson backed Obama).

All in all, it could get very ugly for Obama, like 15 point margin ugly.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 12:49:28 PM »

Dave

Actually, yeah it could. PA is closed which will reduce crossovers by a significant amount simply because Obama now has two weeks to re-register independents and Republicans where they could simply request to change affiliation at the polling station. Pennsylvania also has a slightly smaller percentage of blacks and unlike in Ohio, Obama won't have the endorsement and machine of the mayors of the bigger cities (Rendell, Nutter, and Street are backing Hillary; Mallory and Jackson backed Obama).

I read a commentary by G. Terry Madonna of Franklin & Marshall College and it would seem that Obama must ramp up big margins in Philadelphia and its suburbs as well as doing well in what he calls the swing areas: the Lehigh Valley (Allentown) region and south-central PA (Lancaster, Dauphin, Cumberland and York) to stand even a hope of winning the primary

Obviously, white blue collar Democrats, and regions in which they are dominant, gravitate towards Clinton in a Democratic primary- but how does that bode well for Obama in a general, given that homogenously white areas are absent of the racial cleavages that could work against him?

Nevertheless, given that an ugly a win for Clinton could have wide reaching implications for Obama should he be the Democratic nominee, couldn't it still overstate her strength as a general election candidate in PA?

I know this is SUSA but the most recent Rasmussen general election poll; Feb 17, i.e. before Clinton's big OH and TX comeback) had:

Obama 49% / McCain 39%

McCain 44% / Clinton 42%

A new poll is to be released tomorrow and I'd be surprised if Clinton isn't up and Obama down against McCain

Clinton has certainly received a huge bounce in the PA Democratic primary, leading by 52 to 37 (March 6) but only by 46 to 42 (February 28)

Dave
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 12:52:50 PM »

Interesting.  Wow.  80% of the vote is white and Obama gets 29% of it?  Fortunately all those white Democrats will all come back home in November and vote for Obama.

Yeah, sure they will.

How's that anymore ridiculous than expecting the black vote to come back to Hillary (which she gets an even lower percentage of)?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 12:53:22 PM »

Dave

I read a commentary by G. Terry Madonna of Franklin & Marshall College and it would seem that Obama must ramp up big margins in Philadelphia and its suburbs as well as doing well in what he calls the swing areas: the Lehigh Valley (Allentown) region and south-central PA (Lancaster, Dauphin, Cumberland and York) to stand even a hope of winning the primary

Obviously, white blue collar Democrats, and regions in which they are dominant, gravitate towards Clinton in a Democratic primary- but how does that bode well for Obama in a general, given that homogenously white areas are absent of the racial cleavages that could work against him?

Nevertheless, given that an ugly a win for Clinton could have wide reaching implications for Obama should he be the Democratic nominee, couldn't it still overstate her strength as a general election candidate in PA?

I know this is SUSA but the most recent Rasmussen general election poll; Feb 17, i.e. before Clinton's big OH and TX comeback) had:

Obama 49% / McCain 39%

McCain 44% / Clinton 42%

A new poll is to be released tomorrow and I'd be surprised if Clinton isn't up and Obama down against McCain

Clinton has certainly received a huge bounce in the PA Democratic primary, leading by 52 to 37 (March 6) but only by 46 to 42 (February 28)

Dave

I think both should be more or less tied or ahead of McCain tomorrow. Maybe Obama by 0-3%, Clinton by 3-8%.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 01:04:08 PM »

Interesting.  Wow.  80% of the vote is white and Obama gets 29% of it?  Fortunately all those white Democrats will all come back home in November and vote for Obama.

Yeah, sure they will.

How's that anymore ridiculous than expecting the black vote to come back to Hillary (which she gets an even lower percentage of)?

Unfortunately, there appear to be signs that Obama, as of now, could face more difficulty attracting Clinton voters in November than Clinton would Obama's

Dave
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 01:04:59 PM »

Yeah, sure they will.

It's more reflexively Democratic?  It's not as if Democrats are bleeding margins among blacks as they are among, say, white voters in industrial Penn.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2008, 01:06:38 PM »

LOL!

Great results overall, of course.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2008, 01:06:47 PM »

Gotta love uni pollsters who act like they actually know something...
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2008, 01:08:09 PM »

?

The University of SurveyUSA?
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2008, 01:13:58 PM »

I think both should be more or less tied or ahead of McCain tomorrow. Maybe Obama by 0-3%, Clinton by 3-8%.

I'd like to think that Obama is going to be further ahead than Clinton. It reaffirms that come a general, he'd do better among men, Independents and cross-over Republicans than she would but given that , as of now, she has such a commanding advantage in the primary I'm not optimistic

In January's Rasmussen, McCain led Clinton 48% to 42%; Obama, 46% to 38% but it was very different last month with Obama leading McCain 49% to 39% with Clinton trailing 44% to 42%

So if Obama is still ahead of McCain, tomorrow, I'll be Smiley

Dave
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2008, 01:14:49 PM »

Who's that? G. Terry Madonna?

Dave
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2008, 01:20:09 PM »

?

Nah, I was talking about the commentary Hawk posted.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2008, 01:28:35 PM »

?

Nah, I was talking about the commentary Hawk posted.

I'm not a uni pollster Tongue Grin Wink

Speaking of uni polling, that of Indiana State for IN-08 in 2006, was ridiculed, IIRC, for overstating Ellsworth's lead over Hostettler, by 15% than 23%, but come the day it was 61% to 39%. No-one else predicted a 22% winning margin

Dave
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2008, 01:29:12 PM »

Who's that? G. Terry Madonna?

Dave

Haha...Madonna does know something! He is a political idol here.  Smiley
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2008, 01:43:55 PM »

Dave

I remember reading that large numbers of Republicans and Independents (upwards of 40,000) have recently switched to Democratic, likely to vote in the Dem Primary.  I would bet a high % of these would be in SEPA.  The black population is about 1% higher in Ohio than Pennsylvania, however PA does have a larger amount of middle to upper middle class whites than Ohio does.  They both have a large working class white population which Clinton obviously will do very well in PA as she did in Ohio, but you really don't have an area in Ohio like suburban philly, which is an area Obama will do quite well in.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2008, 01:47:49 PM »

but you really don't have an area in Ohio like suburban philly, which is an area Obama will do quite well in.

He will do well here but well enough? Hillary is actually leading him thus far.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies