PA PrimD: Survey USA: Clinton far ahead of Obama
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:23:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Primary Election Polls
  PA PrimD: Survey USA: Clinton far ahead of Obama
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: PA PrimD: Survey USA: Clinton far ahead of Obama  (Read 8194 times)
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2008, 01:49:40 PM »

Could PA be any worse for Obama than OH? There is, of course, ample time for Obama to campaign and close the gap

Dave

Actually, yeah it could. PA is closed which will reduce crossovers by a significant amount simply because Obama now has two weeks to re-register independents and Republicans where they could simply request to change affiliation at the polling station. Pennsylvania also has a slightly smaller percentage of blacks and unlike in Ohio, Obama won't have the endorsement and machine of the mayors of the bigger cities (Rendell, Nutter, and Street are backing Hillary; Mallory and Jackson backed Obama).

All in all, it could get very ugly for Obama, like 15 point margin ugly.

I remember reading that large numbers of Republicans and Independents (upwards of 40,000) have recently switched to Democratic, likely to vote in the Dem Primary.  I would bet a high % of these would be in SEPA.  The black population is about 1% higher in Ohio than Pennsylvania, however PA does have a larger amount of middle to upper middle class whites than Ohio does.  They both have a large working class white population which Clinton obviously will do very well in PA as she did in Ohio, but you really don't have an area in Ohio like suburban philly, which is an area Obama will do quite well in.

That's interesting, can you find the link...I havent seen that on the local newspaper sites...but I'd be interested to read about it.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2008, 01:51:11 PM »

Could PA be any worse for Obama than OH? There is, of course, ample time for Obama to campaign and close the gap

Dave

Actually, yeah it could. PA is closed which will reduce crossovers by a significant amount simply because Obama now has two weeks to re-register independents and Republicans where they could simply request to change affiliation at the polling station. Pennsylvania also has a slightly smaller percentage of blacks and unlike in Ohio, Obama won't have the endorsement and machine of the mayors of the bigger cities (Rendell, Nutter, and Street are backing Hillary; Mallory and Jackson backed Obama).

I remember reading that large numbers of Republicans and Independents (upwards of 40,000) have recently switched to Democratic, likely to vote in the Dem Primary.  I would bet a high % of these would be in SEPA.  The black population is about 1% higher in Ohio than Pennsylvania, however PA does have a larger amount of middle to upper middle class whites than Ohio does.  They both have a large working class white population which Clinton obviously will do very well in PA as she did in Ohio, but you really don't have an area in Ohio like suburban philly, which is an area Obama will do quite well in.

That's interesting, can you find the link...I havent seen that on the local newspaper sites...but I'd be interested to read about it.

I don't think it's true. They have covered the fact that people will switch but I haven't seen the numbers yet. I think they'd wait until a few days before or after the deadline to switch (in about two weeks, I believe).
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2008, 01:58:32 PM »

The funny* thing is that now the Dems are going to spend millions of dollars and hours of tv time bashing each other up in a campaign thats likely to get very negative in a state which, come the general, is going to be a key battle ground for both parties... is it only me that sees a really big problem for the Dems (regardless of the nominee) in all of this?

*Of course "funny" might not be the right word depending on your point of view.     
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2008, 02:02:58 PM »

Dave

I don't think it's true. They have covered the fact that people will switch but I haven't seen the numbers yet. I think they'd wait until a few days before or after the deadline to switch (in about two weeks, I believe).

I remember reading it somewhere, I'm at work now so don't really have time to search for it, but will post a link tonight or tomorrow night when I have more time to look.

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2008, 03:06:42 PM »

Smash is wrong. There are plenty of bourgeois suburbs in Ohio, it's just that they aren't all (or rather; almost all) concentrated in just one metropolitan area.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2008, 03:08:14 PM »

Smash is wrong. There are plenty of bourgeois suburbs in Ohio, it's just that they aren't all (or rather; almost all) concentrated in just one metropolitan area.

What the hell are you basing this crap on?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2008, 03:14:01 PM »

What the hell are you basing this crap on?

Cheesy
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2008, 03:47:24 PM »

I wasn't trying to suggest that it didn't exist in Ohio, but rather its larger in PA than Ohio.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2008, 11:49:03 PM »

you really don't have an area in Ohio like suburban philly, which is an area Obama will do quite well in.

No? Northeast of Cleveland? Outside of Cincy? Columbus 'burbs? Certainly more prone to vote Republican in Ohio, but many of the Democratic votes that pushed Rendell, Sestak, Murphy, etc. into power were made by disaffected Republicans (Montco recorded 104,000 votes in the 2007 Primary - 39,000 Dems and 60,000 Republicans).
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2008, 11:44:13 AM »

And they all vote mostly Republican.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2008, 08:56:22 PM »
« Edited: March 12, 2008, 08:58:39 PM by Smash255 »

Dave

No hard data on how many people switched from Independent and Republican to Democratic, and all three saw gains since the fall, but the differences are quite stark.  Republicans have added 3,312 those enrolled in neither gained by approx 8,000 and democratic enrollment increased by 65,397.  The largest Democratic gains were in Montco, Delaware and Chester.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g73v_gaMTeTWhOZQ8iJuo5NQTCzAD8VAR9IO0
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2008, 09:05:14 PM »

Obama planned to tour and meet with workers at a wind-turbine plant in suburban Philadelphia on Tuesday.

Anyone else find that funny?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2008, 09:08:12 PM »

you really don't have an area in Ohio like suburban philly, which is an area Obama will do quite well in.

No? Northeast of Cleveland? Outside of Cincy? Columbus 'burbs? Certainly more prone to vote Republican in Ohio, but many of the Democratic votes that pushed Rendell, Sestak, Murphy, etc. into power were made by disaffected Republicans (Montco recorded 104,000 votes in the 2007 Primary - 39,000 Dems and 60,000 Republicans).

An off year election has a bit of a different dynamic.  Even with the GOP enrollment edge in suburban Philly (which continues to decrease) its still going to result in the white primary vote having a larger % of educated middle and upper middle class voters than in Ohio.  Thats not to state working class whites won't make up a large portion of the white vote in PA, they will just not to the extent they did in Ohio.  Obama has done well with white liberals (especially social liberals) you clearly have more of them in suburban Philly than you do in suburban Cleveland, Columbus & certainly suburban Cincy.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2008, 09:20:57 PM »

its still going to result in the white primary vote having a larger % of educated middle and upper middle class voters than in Ohio.

Hmm... perhaps. But not by much, certainly not by as much as you seem to think.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Ah, but how are we defining working class here? If we accept that class is, to a great extent, as much about culture as anything else, then I don't actually think that's true.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2008, 09:28:18 PM »

its still going to result in the white primary vote having a larger % of educated middle and upper middle class voters than in Ohio.

I'm not trying to suggest Obama will win PA, I think Clinton will.  However, some of the talk has been she will win it by a larger portion than she did in Ohio, and I think that will be really hard for her to accomplish with the educated middle to upper middle class white vote being a little higher in PA.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2008, 09:29:44 PM »

I'm not trying to suggest Obama will win PA, I think Clinton will.  However, some of the talk has been she will win it by a larger portion than she did in Ohio, and I think that will be really hard for her to accomplish with the educated middle to upper middle class white vote being a little higher in PA.

PA also has a lot more older voters - Strong for Hillary - and it's a closed primary. Was Ohio closed?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2008, 09:33:05 PM »

PA also has a lot more older voters - Strong for Hillary

60 and over by state, 2004 exit poll:

Ohio: 20%
Pennsylvania: 22%

A lot?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2008, 09:55:06 PM »

PA also has a lot more older voters - Strong for Hillary - and it's a closed primary. Was Ohio closed?

No, but a closed primary would also result in a higher % of African Americans than an open one would. 
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2008, 10:17:44 PM »

No, but a closed primary would also result in a higher % of African Americans than an open one would. 

But having an open primary doesn't reduce the number of black voters, and unless Clinton does better (in net) among the crossover voters, that would only be good for Obama.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2008, 10:20:08 PM »

A lot?

More olds died in Ohio since then. Next.

Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2008, 10:25:05 PM »

A lot?

Change between 2000 and 2006 in population over the age of 65, U.S. Census:

Ohio: 13.3% to 13.3% (unch)
Pennsylvania: 15.6% to 15.1% (-3.2%)

Next.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2008, 10:26:14 PM »

A lot?

Next.

LOL at the naive.

Who believes the U.S. government figures these days?
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2008, 10:29:26 PM »

A lot?

Next.

LOL at the naive.

Yeah....facts...schmacks.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2008, 10:29:49 PM »

A lot?

Next.

LOL at the naive.

In that case, I refer you to:

State of Ohio.  "Single Year of Age by Sex Estimates for Ohio: April 1, 2000 to July 1, 2006."

Pennsylvania State University.  "Population Demographics -- State of Pennsylvania."

Both of which agree with me: Ohio basically static, Pennsylvania a slight fall, definitely not more olds dying in Ohio.

punkass r-pa.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2008, 10:31:26 PM »

A lot?

Next.

LOL at the naive.

In that case, I refer you to:

State of Ohio.  "Single Year of Age by Sex Estimates for Ohio: April 1, 2000 to July 1, 2006."

Pennsylvania State University.  "Population Demographics -- State of Pennsylvania."

Both of which agree with me: Ohio basically static, Pennsylvania a slight fall, definitely not more olds dying in Ohio.

I...have no idea why you are seriously responding to me.

Anyway, I was under the impression PA had far more old people but I guess that's not the case.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies