Obama's "church"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:49:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Obama's "church"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9
Author Topic: Obama's "church"  (Read 8107 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: March 16, 2008, 10:14:04 AM »

This thread is the perfect example of how the forum has become nothing more than an anti-Obama echo chamber.

Wow.

Pretty shocking once you recognize what has happened, eh?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #176 on: March 16, 2008, 10:17:09 AM »

This thread is the perfect example of how the forum has become nothing more than an anti-Obama echo chamber.

Wow.

It's true. Nearly half of the people active in this section of the forum are constantly grasping at straws to sink Obama.

People such as you, htmldon, Jake, States, Spade, M, AHDuke, Torie, agcatter, Mitty, Phil, Soulty, and others are always present to post incessantly disparaging remarks upon the mere mentioning of Obama's name. It's not just simple opposition, either; when the anti-Obama posters come in, it's more of a barrage than an argument.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #177 on: March 16, 2008, 10:21:16 AM »

That's about right. We just gotta get the Big O through this mess and the types in my signature will soon be just political refuse overfilled with sedition and hate when President Obama is sworn in.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #178 on: March 16, 2008, 10:26:12 AM »

That's about right. We just gotta get the Big O through this mess and the types in my signature will soon be just political refuse overfilled with sedition and hate when President Obama is sworn in.

There's no need to engage in personal attacks, you know.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #179 on: March 16, 2008, 10:26:49 AM »

Amusing that everyone here seems to think that they're part of a persecuted minority.
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #180 on: March 16, 2008, 10:30:17 AM »

anti Obama forum

that's rich
ThePrezMex
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: 5.25, S: -1.69

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #181 on: March 16, 2008, 10:35:09 AM »

wow.. this is chutzpah.. or complete blindness. I have exactly the opposite perception of what the forum has become.
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #182 on: March 16, 2008, 10:37:04 AM »

Wow.

It's true. Nearly half of the people active in this section of the forum are constantly grasping at straws to sink Obama.

People such as you, htmldon, Jake, States, Spade, M, AHDuke, Torie, agcatter, Mitty, Phil, Soulty, and others are always present to post incessantly disparaging remarks upon the mere mentioning of Obama's name. It's not just simple opposition, either; when the anti-Obama posters come in, it's more of a barrage than an argument.

Get over it.  This is a political forum.  Trust me, the Obama cult of personality that we dealt with for weeks was much more irritating.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #183 on: March 16, 2008, 10:42:16 AM »

wow.. this is chutzpah.. or complete blindness. I have exactly the opposite perception of what the forum has become.

Well, I used to think that too, back when the Republicans were focused on their own primary. Today I realized the apparent bias had shifted quite in the opposite direction when I saw that a full quarter of the threads on the front page were wholly anti-Obama. And, to boot, in each thread the same group of people echoed the same series of repetitive talking points.

Get over it.  This is a political forum.  Trust me, the Obama cult of personality that we dealt with for weeks was much more irritating.

A political forum focused on hatred isn't one I want to be a part of. I'd much prefer that discussion shifted back to the relative merits of the candidates rather than a hivemind of "oh! look at what Obama did wrong now! And now! Oh!"
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #184 on: March 16, 2008, 10:43:20 AM »

Well, I used to think that too, back when the Republicans were focused on their own primary. Today I realized the apparent bias had shifted quite in the opposite direction when I saw a full quarter of threads on the front page were wholly anti-Obama.

A political forum focused on hatred isn't one I want to be a part of. I'd much prefer that discussion shifted back to the relative merits of the candidates rather than a hivemind of "oh! look at what Obama did wrong now! And now! Oh!"

You hit the nail on the head.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #185 on: March 16, 2008, 11:06:09 AM »

He sat through this hate monger's sermons for 20 years.

That's just it though. Are Wright's hatemongering sermons the norm or the exception? I saw a clip of Wright on the The Beltway Boys and thought he was more a stand-up comedian than a pastor

I'll tell you what Wink when Republicans sever all ties with the hatemongering bigots of the Christian Right come back and cast aspirations on Obama's membership of the Trinity United Church of Christ. Until they do, don't expect me to give you guys a fair hearing. I'm sick of the double-standards

Obama has denounced Wright's 'God Dam America' sermon yet I dare say it was Wright's work with the poor in Chicago that had an impressionable impact on the then young Obama and, thus, played its part in his joining the Trinity United Church of Christ

Nevertheless, there is clear blue water between the politics of Wright, which focus on racial grievances, and those of Obama, which transcend race. Whether white working class Democrats, who are yet to warm to Obama (and he, economically, is on their side) see it that way is another matter. They prefer Clinton, who is much closer to Obama, on the issues, than she is McCain

The bottom line is that political distinction can certainly be made between Obama and Wright that much is obvious; yet something of a spiritual connection, around the social gospel, is evident

Here is the full text of the 'Audacity of Hope' sermon which apparently inspired Obama to join the church or something:

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2008/03/for-the-record.html#more

Hardly controversial. Not something that would scare the sh**t out of peeps

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Obviously Tongue

Dave
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #186 on: March 16, 2008, 11:33:53 AM »

Well, I used to think that too, back when the Republicans were focused on their own primary. Today I realized the apparent bias had shifted quite in the opposite direction when I saw that a full quarter of the threads on the front page were wholly anti-Obama. And, to boot, in each thread the same group of people echoed the same series of repetitive talking points.

Bingo. That's exactly what's going on.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #187 on: March 16, 2008, 12:34:47 PM »

Wow.

roftlmao.  The anti-Obama echo chamber is clearly in your mind.

Personally, I tell you what I see with regards to the campaign's news in the overall scheme of things.  Occasionally, I give my own opinion as to how it makes me feel.  You may have your own view on things, and that's ok. 

But if you're going to close your mind like this, quite frankly we just head down the FR/DU/Daily Kos, etc. route, and there's no going back.

My opinion on this whole thing in the larger scheme is still:  This *could* permanently damage (or kill) him, not that it *will* permanently damage him.  Certainly it's hurting him fairly badly, otherwise you wouldn't see the amount of response you've been seeing.  How bad among the Democratic party electorate - I don't know.  How bad among the national electorate - probably worse, but I don't know there either.

The other point I've been making is that I think his response has been piss poor.  It's tough enough to explain away the church you attended for 20 years and the person behind the remarks, who is his  key "spiritual guide".  But his statements on the matter (the written ones at least) are couched in classic doublespeak and legalese, meaning that the language's purpose is to mean different things to different people.  You want him to denounce all it - I can read that from his comments.  You want him to denounce none of it - I can read that from his comments too. 

As for my own opinion, it is as follows.  Normally for your typical politician, his response would be expected, but since Obama portrays himself as "a different politician", the response indicates to me, at least, that this is no different politician, but rather nothing different than what we've seen before.  Now, I've suspected this b/c of a number of things, but it merely reinforces that belief.  I suspect I'm not alone.  The problem with this belief being formed is that it leads to the next supposition - his disingenuous extends to other things as well.

As for the pastor's comments, I think I posted on this before, so I need not go there.  But to be frank, I knew some of his comments were out there and I disapproved then (and wondered what the hell Obama was doing at a church like that).  But the scope and variety of his remarks as released and shown now make it worse.  I had no idea there was this much.

In sum:  Open your mind.  Grow up.  Stop spinning and attacking other people.  Thank you.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #188 on: March 16, 2008, 12:57:36 PM »

Actually, I have done a poll. This is hardly an echo chambler as this forum is pretty representative of the entire country- though there could be a 3 or 4 more fundies posting.

Anyway, its reasonable to each side that it is an echo chamber.

My opinion on this is that it will either weed out Obama and let the party unite around HillDawg, so that she can compete nationally (instead of in the rust belt) or that it will give Obama the expierence he needs to pull through and win the election by winning all of the fast-growth purple states and all of Gore+Kerry states.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #189 on: March 16, 2008, 01:25:13 PM »

Wow.

roftlmao.  The anti-Obama echo chamber is clearly in your mind.
Perhaps the opposite is in yours.

Personally, I tell you what I see with regards to the campaign's news in the overall scheme of things.  Occasionally, I give my own opinion as to how it makes me feel.  You may have your own view on things, and that's ok.
Of course it is. Everybody's opinion is inherently effected by their own bias, including yours.   

But if you're going to close your mind like this, quite frankly we just head down the FR/DU/Daily Kos, etc. route, and there's no going back.
How is he closing his mind?

My opinion on this whole thing in the larger scheme is still:  This *could* permanently damage (or kill) him, not that it *will* permanently damage him.  Certainly it's hurting him fairly badly, otherwise you wouldn't see the amount of response you've been seeing.  How bad among the Democratic party electorate - I don't know.  How bad among the national electorate - probably worse, but I don't know there either.
I actually believe the amount of attention this has been getting in the forum is disproportinatly larger than the nation as a whole. His poll numbers over Hillary actually rose since yesterday and he isn't seeing any drops in the states (CT, NY, FL) He's actually doing better than Clinton although it could be MOE. That's of course, my own opinion affected by my bias. Smiley

The other point I've been making is that I think his response has been piss poor.
  It's tough enough to explain away the church you attended for 20 years and the person behind the remarks, who is his  key "spiritual guide".  But his statements on the matter (the written ones at least) are couched in classic doublespeak and legalese, meaning that the language's purpose is to mean different things to different people.  You want him to denounce all it - I can read that from his comments.  You want him to denounce none of it - I can read that from his comments too.
He's denounced the sin, not the sinner. My respect of him has been raised because he isn't doing the "politically correct" thing of throwing his  friend and mentor under a bus. He's sticking by him which is honorable. His response is how you see it and how much your bias affects it. It was appropriate for me, but again, that's just my bias talking.

As for the pastor's comments, I think I posted on this before, so I need not go there.  But to be frank, I knew some of his comments were out there and I disapproved then (and wondered what the hell Obama was doing at a church like that).  But the scope and variety of his remarks as released and shown now make it worse.  I had no idea there was this much.
Judging a man and to a larger extent the Church as a whole because of a few snippets of videos is just plain ignorant. Go to the Church and see if this tone is happening weekly and then judge the Church.

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #190 on: March 16, 2008, 05:36:02 PM »

Remember when Bacon King used to be a decent poster?

"Not God bless America...but God damn America"...what a POS pastor.

Kind of clarifies my signature picture even more. Obama appears to be more of a wolf in sheep's clothes then previously though.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #191 on: March 16, 2008, 05:44:11 PM »

Kind of clarifies my signature picture even more. Obama appears to be more of a wolf in sheep's clothes then previously though.

Once again...not the pledge. Star-Spangled Banner.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #192 on: March 16, 2008, 05:50:22 PM »

Once again...not the pledge. Star-Spangled Banner.

Silly rabbit! That's not how things work.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #193 on: March 16, 2008, 07:59:21 PM »

Don't you dare accuse me of making "disparaing remarks" when someone merely mentions Obama's name. This forum has become Obama's little fan club and it's only right that some of us bring his followers back down to Earth/voice our opposition.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #194 on: March 16, 2008, 08:21:59 PM »

Don't you dare accuse me of making "disparaing remarks" when someone merely mentions Obama's name. This forum has become Obama's little fan club and it's only right that some of us bring his followers back down to Earth/voice our opposition.

NO! Your McVains "NO YOU CAN'T" terrorists. You must be slain with the sword of optimism!!

And if you losers win then we are gonna mass murder ourselves with poisoned Kool aid with our leader at our side!!!!!!!

Kidding aside, although I do think some people actually believe something of that sort would happen, some Obama supporters do go overboard in their righteousness and the such, but the same occurs with his critics. Both sides are at fault.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #195 on: March 16, 2008, 09:01:51 PM »

Well, look, guys. I'm sorry for being a bit angry earlier. I let some things happening in real life affect my etiquette here. Phil, States, Sam, I don't disrespect your opinions, even if I do disagree with them. Although I was just stating things as I see them, I do acknowledge that my opinion is as biased as anyone elses. Once again, sorry.

Though States, I do like to think of myself as a decent poster. Tongue
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #196 on: March 16, 2008, 10:45:28 PM »

Well, look, guys. I'm sorry for being a bit angry earlier. I let some things happening in real life affect my etiquette here. Phil, States, Sam, I don't disrespect your opinions, even if I do disagree with them. Although I was just stating things as I see them, I do acknowledge that my opinion is as biased as anyone elses. Once again, sorry.

Though States, I do like to think of myself as a decent poster. Tongue

Ok, fair enough Smiley
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #197 on: March 16, 2008, 10:47:16 PM »

Remember when Bacon King used to be a decent poster?

Remember when StatesRights used to be a decent poster?

Me neither
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #198 on: March 17, 2008, 08:06:25 AM »

Not really.  This forum is more anti-Killary than anything else.  Most of the Democrats and some of the Indies are pro-Obama, while the most of the others are pro-McCain.  Can't see how that is an anti-Obama echo chamber.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #199 on: March 17, 2008, 07:43:19 PM »

New material...

http://minx.cc/?post=257959

What I am really shocked at is this guy's lack of English grammar during his rants...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies