your politics aside...answer honestly, will obama's campaign survive..
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:53:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  your politics aside...answer honestly, will obama's campaign survive..
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: your politics aside...answer honestly, will obama's campaign survive..  (Read 7540 times)
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2008, 12:34:05 AM »

There were videos from 01' and 03' mostly. There was one from 07'. Were are the one's from 04,05 and 06.

Write the church and get them.

I think the situation here is not that this was not an offhand comment made once 20 years ago.

Oh I'm sure people have already poured over these videos. I wonder how many are out there. If they reviewed hundreds and only 5 had offensive comments then it would be a case of "flying off the handle". Just speculation.

Would you prefer 20 years of comments and some photos of Wright and Farrakhan?  Smiley  I'm sure someone could arrange it (and probably is).

I'm sure they would have at least put all the comments on youtube with any offensive content.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2008, 12:37:57 AM »

There were videos from 01' and 03' mostly. There was one from 07'. Were are the one's from 04,05 and 06.

Write the church and get them.

I think the situation here is not that this was not an offhand comment made once 20 years ago.

Oh I'm sure people have already poured over these videos. I wonder how many are out there. If they reviewed hundreds and only 5 had offensive comments then it would be a case of "flying off the handle". Just speculation.

Would you prefer 20 years of comments and some photos of Wright and Farrakhan?  Smiley  I'm sure someone could arrange it (and probably is).

I'm sure they would have at least put all the comments on youtube with any offensive content.

There might be copyright issues or someone might be even as I type.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2008, 12:52:06 AM »

Duh (normal)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2008, 01:00:59 AM »

Apparantly there was some foreknowledge:

In his 1993 memoir "Dreams from My Father," Obama recounts in vivid detail his first meeting with Wright in 1985. The pastor warned the community activist that getting involved with Trinity might turn off other black clergy because of the church’s radical reputation.

When Obama sought his own church community, he felt increasingly at home at Trinity…

http://sweetness-light.com/archive/obamas-pastor-called-911-wake-up-call-from-people-of-color

Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2008, 01:11:58 AM »

Apparantly there was some foreknowledge:

In his 1993 memoir "Dreams from My Father," Obama recounts in vivid detail his first meeting with Wright in 1985. The pastor warned the community activist that getting involved with Trinity might turn off other black clergy because of the church’s radical reputation.

When Obama sought his own church community, he felt increasingly at home at Trinity…

http://sweetness-light.com/archive/obamas-pastor-called-911-wake-up-call-from-people-of-color

Oh noes! You got him now!
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2008, 04:10:22 AM »

He won't drop out because of this, if that's what you mean.

But he can no longer be elected President.

So it depends what you mean by "end" his campaign.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2008, 04:37:56 AM »

As usual Ford shows he has no idea what he is talking about.  Confidently stated though.

Whether Obama can or cannot be elected president will be determined not by these details, but by the level of racism in the american voters.  The triggers or code-words to remind us "he's a gawddamn n****r!" would be found or invented by the Republicans regardless of what his 'pastor' said. 
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2008, 08:32:23 AM »

What interests me is why people are starting to make a ruckus about this right now. It's not as if Obama's association with Wright was some big dark secret that has only just surfaced - and people who were in the know, ie. politics buffs and journalists and the like, were well aware that this guy's a bit of a loose cannon, and could prove to be Obama's biggest achilles heel. So why now? All of a sudden? The timing's a little odd.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2008, 08:42:41 AM »

What interests me is why people are starting to make a ruckus about this right now. It's not as if Obama's association with Wright was some big dark secret that has only just surfaced - and people who were in the know, ie. politics buffs and journalists and the like, were well aware that this guy's a bit of a loose cannon, and could prove to be Obama's biggest achilles heel. So why now? All of a sudden? The timing's a little odd.

As someone who's a bit cut off from the pulse of the American media myself, I have to second this comment...what happened to make this a big story (people had been mentioning this for weeks on this site before it apparently exploded), and is it really that big of a story once you leave the Internet?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2008, 09:09:26 AM »

What I don't understand is why this stuff didn't come out in 2004.
ThePrezMex
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: 5.25, S: -1.69

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2008, 10:09:56 AM »

The reason it caught attention this week was because for the first time it was reported by mainstream media in prime time, specifically ABC News in Good Morning America. I posted the link to the clip in another thread. Why it hadn't caught attention in mainstream media in the past is a good question, but when I looked yesterday for that clip on YouTube I found many other clips about precisely this that are several months old.

Now, could we, for once, at least do what this thread say and put our politics aside and try to keep analyzing this in a more neutral way (at least in this thread)? I think J.J. and Sam (as always) have been doing a good job about this.

Will the obama campaign survive? I think one of the first tests would be how it is treated in the Sunday news shows. Fox News and ABC's This Week already passed and now Meet the Press is starting.
This was commented for several minutes in Fox and there was no positive comment for obama among the panelists (actually even Juan Williams was pretty harsh) - please save the comments of: oh, of course, what you expected of Fox News. It's just a statement of coverage.
One of the panelists said that it was telling that the Clinton campaign was not even touching this since it had its own life and didn't need any more fuel to keep going. Bill Kristol said that the media was not going to keep it alive if the Clinton campaign didn't talk about this - not until the general election at least. But the consensus was that it could be potentially pretty bad for obama.
In This Week, George Will naturally said this was very disturbing. Mark Halperin of Time (and The Page) did acknowledge it could be very serious - but they gave it only a fraction of the time than Fox News did.
Let's see how Meet the Press treats this.

So far, it did reached the Sunday news cycle.. not as imperceptibly as obama supporters would have hoped and not as prominently as obama detractors might have liked.

I think how this damages obama the most is in the topics he's running on: good judgment and unity, as well as his credibility by saying that he wasn't aware of Wright's sermons. 
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2008, 12:10:38 PM »

What I don't understand is why this stuff didn't come out in 2004.

Well, even if it was played strongly in the 2004 GE contest, he would have won by only, say 30 points against Keyes, instead of 40.  The primary win, I suspect, would have been given to him by Cook County, regardless of the situation.  But maybe I'm wrong.

As to MichaelZ's original comment - one of the American media's favorite pastimes is building someone up so they can tear them down.  Because of the lengths the media has gone to in building his image up so much, the tear down will probably be especially ugly, mainly if there's more this crap around.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2008, 12:13:31 PM »

As to MichaelZ's original comment - one of the American media's favorite pastimes is building someone up so they can tear them down.  Because of the lengths the media has gone to in building his image up so much, the tear down will probably be especially ugly, mainly if there's more this crap around.

It's all character building. Those who build you up don't necessarily succeed in tearing you down

But then the media giving John McVain a free pass comes as no surprise either

Dave
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2008, 12:16:27 PM »

It really is terrible that we have such great wordplay with Obama's last name, but the only thing the hopeless Obama sheep can resort to is CarlHayden-like satiric misspellings.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2008, 12:18:20 PM »

As for Obama...I think he'll be just fine.  I like the man.  I hope its Obama v. McCain, two honorable men (despite what certain detractors on these boards will say about them), perhaps we'll for once get an honest discussion of the issues.  Barring some hanky panky/cheap crap by either of them, I won't mind who wins

This is exactly why I want the Hildabeast to be slain by Obama.  Well said.  I also don't buy the notion that Hillary is more beatable.

Obama will survive this controversy...knicked up a lil.....but he'll survive just fine.
The Hack Hater
AloneinOregon
Virgin Islands, British

« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2008, 02:53:47 PM »

Yeah, of course it will. Some ranting black pastor will probably be only a roadblock on the way to possible nomination. But he better hunker down when it comes to the May primary contests if he wants to have any chance in to get to the general election.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2008, 02:56:48 PM »

As usual Ford shows he has no idea what he is talking about.  Confidently stated though.

Whether Obama can or cannot be elected president will be determined not by these details, but by the level of racism in the american voters.  The triggers or code-words to remind us "he's a gawddamn n****r!" would be found or invented by the Republicans regardless of what his 'pastor' said. 

Hey Harold, call me...
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2008, 03:00:34 PM »

Just let the thread die.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2008, 03:25:57 PM »

Hey Harold, call me...

Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2008, 08:29:32 PM »

This "news story" is dying out already.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2008, 08:32:16 PM »

You just had to revive this dying thread, didn't you.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2008, 08:42:03 PM »

But the damage has been done.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2008, 08:46:37 PM »

Keep telling yourself that J.J.

Flem, what difference does it make? This board is clogged with 9,000 threads on this anyway.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2008, 09:03:46 PM »

Keep telling yourself that J.J.

Flem, what difference does it make? This board is clogged with 9,000 threads on this anyway.

I am just sick of it.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2008, 09:29:41 PM »

The polls don't show that.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies