your politics aside...answer honestly, will obama's campaign survive..
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:30:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  your politics aside...answer honestly, will obama's campaign survive..
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: your politics aside...answer honestly, will obama's campaign survive..  (Read 7539 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2008, 09:44:24 PM »

This "news story" is dying out already.

You just had to revive this dying thread, didn't you.

But the damage has been done.

The polls don't show that.

Clinton seems to gaining in PA.  There is long term damage, largely because of way Obama handled it, not so much from the remarks.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2008, 09:46:05 PM »

Clinton seems to gaining in PA.  There is long term damage, largely because of way Obama handled it, not so much from the remarks.

He was never going to win PA.  He will win NC and all of the Western states in May and June. 
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2008, 09:47:47 PM »

Obama will win Michigan ending any chance of a Hillary nomination.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2008, 10:11:05 PM »

Forgive me for being skeptical of your "seemings" after Wisconsin, but where, in fact, are you seeing solid evidence of Clinton gaining in Pennsylvania?
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2008, 10:12:15 PM »

Forgive me for being skeptical of your "seemings" after Wisconsin, but where, in fact, are you seeing solid evidence of Clinton gaining in Pennsylvania?

Yeah, I wondered that as well.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2008, 11:13:22 PM »

Yeah, I wondered that as well.

It was Rasmussen, but it showed a 5 point jump, which is kinda unusual for Obama.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2008, 11:16:42 PM »
« Edited: March 16, 2008, 11:18:46 PM by Alcon »

It was Rasmussen, but it showed a 5 point jump, which is kinda unusual for Obama.

The last Rasmussen poll was on 3/12, before the scandal broke.  It was a MoE gain for Obama since the 3/5 poll.  I'd really suggest using Dave's nifty polls list in the future, since you seem to have a lot of trouble recalling polls as being anything other than favorable to your preconceptions.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2008, 11:52:16 PM »

The last Rasmussen poll was on 3/12, before the scandal broke.  It was a MoE gain for Obama since the 3/5 poll.  I'd really suggest using Dave's nifty polls list in the future, since you seem to have a lot of trouble recalling polls as being anything other than favorable to your preconceptions.

That was the one I was looking at.  I know that there was an eirlier one that showed a 15% point gap (which I thought would close, BTW).  When will the next round be out?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #83 on: March 17, 2008, 03:12:55 AM »

Yes, although the Clinton & McCain campaigns and the media are all hoping that it sinks him.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2008, 05:10:56 AM »

The reason it caught attention this week was because for the first time it was reported by mainstream media in prime time, specifically ABC News in Good Morning America. I posted the link to the clip in another thread. Why it hadn't caught attention in mainstream media in the past is a good question, but when I looked yesterday for that clip on YouTube I found many other clips about precisely this that are several months old.

Well, if you want my totally honest opinion, I'm cynical enough to think that the Clinton campaign planted the story to drown out the whole Geraldine Ferraro debacle (the timing just seemed a little too convenient), but I'm probably just being paranoid.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2008, 09:12:40 AM »

That was the one I was looking at.  I know that there was an eirlier one that showed a 15% point gap (which I thought would close, BTW).  When will the next round be out?

My limited powers of extrapolation would guess 3/19
Bay Ridge, Bklyn! Born and Bred
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: -4.87

« Reply #86 on: March 17, 2008, 09:43:09 AM »

This whole thing hurts Obama in the long run because people will begin to associate him with the "angry black man", and it pretty much destroys the perception that Obama "transcends" race and identity politics.     

One of Obama's major strenghts was wiped away in a matter of days.   
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #87 on: March 17, 2008, 12:29:16 PM »

Will this give Hillary the nomination? Could this allow some of the base to rally to Hillary?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #88 on: March 17, 2008, 12:33:30 PM »

So therefore your point is? Where's the evidence of gains?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #89 on: March 17, 2008, 01:41:19 PM »

Will this give Hillary the nomination?

The only way this could give Killary the nomination is if the Superdelegates fear that Obama is nothing more than an empty suit, and they'd rather take a chance with the queen of polarization.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm sure it will stimulate some of those that were hesitant to support Killary, but not too many. 
Thomas Jackson
ghostmonkey

Political Matrix
E: 8.77, S: 8.79

« Reply #90 on: March 17, 2008, 03:22:46 PM »

The filthy stinking witch would be a far greater disaster for our country. In fact, if she were ever elected, I would cease to be American at that moment.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #91 on: March 17, 2008, 03:25:10 PM »

If America has any sense this will kill Obama for good.  The problem is, most of the sense left in America is Republican and most of them are not voting in the democrat primary.  So BHO could still be victorious.  Really it doesn't matter.  it is six of one and a half dozen of the other.  Obama or Billary.  Either is a disaster.

hooray! BRING ON OUR ECONOMIC DOWNFALL!
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #92 on: March 17, 2008, 03:26:28 PM »

The filthy stinking witch would be a far greater disaster for our country. In fact, if she were ever elected, I would cease to be American at that moment.

You planning to join all those Democrats who claimed they were going to move out of the country in 2000 if Bush became President?  Roll Eyes
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #93 on: March 17, 2008, 03:27:59 PM »

Well you characterized her correctly.  She is a filthy stinking witch.  And from what I have read she is into new age religion and such garbage.  But is Obama any better?  I mean the guy thinks whites conspired to give AIDS to the blacks and that 9/11 was America's fault.  I know he's not a Muslim but you gotta wonder what he REALLY beleives if he submits to the teaching of a pastor like that.

I will reserve comment on what I really wanna say about the so called Reverend because some people would constrew it as racist.

Actually...he doesnt think that at all.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #94 on: March 17, 2008, 03:30:04 PM »

Well you characterized her correctly.  She is a filthy stinking witch.  And from what I have read she is into new age religion and such garbage.  But is Obama any better?  I mean the guy thinks whites conspired to give AIDS to the blacks and that 9/11 was America's fault.  I know he's not a Muslim but you gotta wonder what he REALLY beleives if he submits to the teaching of a pastor like that.

I will reserve comment on what I really wanna say about the so called Reverend because some people would constrew it as racist.

Correct.  That was Wright's comment, not Obama's.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #95 on: March 17, 2008, 03:38:13 PM »

The country's ain't big enough for the two of us, though I am not supporting Hillary in the primary. Unlike you, I will be able to leave this country in three years if I feel I can no longer morally support this country.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #96 on: March 17, 2008, 03:40:35 PM »

Correct.  That was Wright's comment, not Obama's.

Wright was his mentor for 20 years.  I think BHO soaked it all up.  This is the kinda crap that has come out of the congressional black caucus for decades now.  The white man gave us aids, the white man gave us crack, the white man keeps us down.  I would like to beleive that BHO has a moral compass like JC Watts or Thomas Sowell.  But more likely he is cut from the same mold as cynthia McKinley and Stephanie tubbs jones.

If Obama were to have said these things with his own mouth....then id be worried. But he didnt....so im not Smiley
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #97 on: March 17, 2008, 05:03:06 PM »

It should be obvious at this point that the Wright Affair is not going away.  Damaging, though I still don't think it is fatal.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #98 on: March 17, 2008, 05:09:35 PM »

I am under the impression that Obama will weather the storm, at least so far as the Democratic nomination is concerned.  The news will kick his ass in Pennsylvania, as well as in a Michigan/Florida revote, but certainly not to the level needed to overcome Hillary's delegate deficit.

This should just about put the nail in the coffin so far as the "conservative-leaning independents" go—the ones who had pushed Obama to near parity with McCain in places like Nebraska.  Obama's explanations largely do not pass the smell test—you don't attend a "controversial" church for 20 years and not get the general idea of why it's controversial.  It's not just a church, it's a community, and word gets around.  (Heck, even Oprah left the church before Obama because of the controversial sermons—and even that has drawn Wright's fire.  You're telling me Obama didn't hear about that, too?)

The news simply gives McCain his best shot yet at winning the White House, and it wasn't even his hands that needed to get dirty sinking his biggest rival.
The Hack Hater
AloneinOregon
Virgin Islands, British

« Reply #99 on: March 17, 2008, 05:13:33 PM »

I will reserve comment on what I really wanna say about the so called Reverend because some people would constrew it as racist. (which is ironic really if you think about it -- because WRIGHT is the real racist)

No sorry, Obama DOESN'T  believe everything his pastor says. His political views can be seperate from his faith. But I guess it's not your fault if that has to be explained to you. And other people said it before me, so I'm done.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies