Lie in Cheney's 2000 Speech
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:49:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2000 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Lie in Cheney's 2000 Speech
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Lie in Cheney's 2000 Speech  (Read 6129 times)
Akno21
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 20, 2004, 09:19:49 AM »

In Dick Cheney's Acceptance Speech in 2000 in Philadelphia, he lied big time, or he just messed up.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2000/conventions/republican/transcripts/cheney.html

3rd paragraph from the bottom.

Arlington National Cemetery.

Can you imagine what the media would have said if Al Gore had said that?

"My Jewish father died defending our country and look what Al Gore says"

"Did he ever actually look down at the Cemetery, or is he just lying again"

The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 12:30:48 PM »

Well, I guess I'll vote for Kerry. Tongue
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 01:28:28 PM »

I knew you'd see the light.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 03:48:33 PM »

What would have happened if Al Gore had said that? I bet the media would have jumped all over him for that.
Reignman

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.65

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2004, 01:01:21 AM »

You know, I don't care whether or not Gore invented the internet, just the issues.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2004, 01:24:45 AM »

What would have happened if Al Gore had said that? I bet the media would have jumped all over him for that.

No they wouldn't.  That's ludicrous, and so is this thread.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2004, 05:32:38 AM »

You know, I don't care whether or not Gore invented the internet, just the issues.

"If my opponent is so smart, how come every web address begins with 'w'?"
- George W. Bush
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2004, 09:41:52 AM »

"If my opponent is so smart, how come every web address begins with 'w'?"
- George W. Bush

That's actually pretty damn funny
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2004, 09:45:18 AM »

No they wouldn't.  That's ludicrous, and so is this thread.

Yes, the media would. The media did more negative stories on Gore than they did on Bush, according Pew Research Center. The media jumped on Gore when he said he had visited a Texas disaster site with James Lee Witt. He had actually gone with the deputy. He had visited 17 other disaster sites with James Lee Witt, but the media gave him a rough time about that one.
Reignman

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.65

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2004, 12:16:03 PM »

techincally, every web address begins with http://

but we all know that guy doesn't want the highways of the internet to become more few.
Andrew
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2004, 12:48:02 PM »

Yes, the media would. The media did more negative stories on Gore than they did on Bush, according Pew Research Center. The media jumped on Gore when he said he had visited a Texas disaster site with James Lee Witt. He had actually gone with the deputy. He had visited 17 other disaster sites with James Lee Witt, but the media gave him a rough time about that one.

Somebody is reading the same book as I am right now.
Blerpiez
blerpiez

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2004, 02:54:22 PM »

I agree.  It's stupid to argue about a detail Cheney messed up in a speech four years ago, or whether Al Gore invented the internet.  
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2004, 08:39:37 PM »

Somebody is reading the same book as I am right now.

Lies and the Lying Who Tell Them?
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2004, 12:59:22 AM »

Has any liberal on this thread ever read a book other than one by Al Franken?
Andrew
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2004, 03:09:29 PM »

I know that I've never read a book written by someone other than Al Franken.  Neither have any of my liberal friends.  Some of my friends didn't even bother to learn to read until they heard Franken had written something.  Others just listen to Franken's books on tape, so they won't have to learn to read.

In fact, except for Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them, and this thread, I've never read anything at all.  I'm barely literate.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2004, 05:17:09 PM »

I noticed.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2004, 08:04:45 PM »

Has any liberal on this thread ever read a book other than one by Al Franken?

What do you have against Al Franken? The fact that he gets his facts straight? Have you ever read any of his books?

Yes, I have read books by authors such as Michael Moore, James Carville, J.R.R. Tolkein, and many others.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2004, 08:43:46 PM »

I do not read inanity and Franken is just that.  What exactly does he get his facts straight about?

The following is a transcript of the Gore claiming that he'd been in Texas with James Lee Witt:

MODERATOR: New question. There can be all kinds of crises, Governor. A questions for you. There could be a crisis, for instance, in the financial area, the stock market could take a tumble, there could be a failure of a major financial institution. What is your general attitude toward government intervention in such events?

BUSH: Well, it depends, obviously. But what I would do first and foremost, is I would get in touch with the Federal Reserve Chairman, Allen Greenspan, to find out all the facts and all the circumstances. I would have my Secretary of the Treasury be in touch with the financial centers not only here, but at home. I would make sure that key members of Congress were called in to discuss the gravity of the situation. And I would come up with a game plan to deal with it. That's what governors end up doing. We end up being problem solvers. We come up with practical, common sense solutions for problems that we're confronted with. In this case, in the case of a financial crisis, I would gather all the facts before I made the decision as to what the government ought or ought not to do.

MODERATOR: Vice President Gore?

GORE: First I want to compliment the governor on his response to those fires and floods in Texas. I accompanied James Lee Witt down to Texas when those fires broke out.

Gore brought it up as a way of trying to co-opt credit for Bush's emotional story of consoling flood victims.  The reason it was a big deal is not that it showed Gore to be a liar, but that it augmnented his reputation as someone who felt the need to embellish stories because he lacked confidence in himself for who he was.  "I took the initiative in creating the internet" was the biggest such example, but the floods story was much the same.

Because Franken never provides this context, he lies by omission.  Because he pretends that the story got major coverage on the evening news programs, he lies by distortion (The story was at most a side issue.  The larger scandals from that first debate were Gore's sighs and his made up story about a young girl he had met on a campaign swing who did not have a desk to sit in at school).

Its good though that you've read such a diverse group of authors such as Al Franken, Michael Moore, and James Carville.  You really get a broad spectrum of opinion there.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2004, 08:52:39 PM »

I do not read inanity and Franken is just that.  What exactly does he get his facts straight about?

The following is a transcript of the Gore claiming that he'd been in Texas with James Lee Witt:

MODERATOR: New question. There can be all kinds of crises, Governor. A questions for you. There could be a crisis, for instance, in the financial area, the stock market could take a tumble, there could be a failure of a major financial institution. What is your general attitude toward government intervention in such events?

BUSH: Well, it depends, obviously. But what I would do first and foremost, is I would get in touch with the Federal Reserve Chairman, Allen Greenspan, to find out all the facts and all the circumstances. I would have my Secretary of the Treasury be in touch with the financial centers not only here, but at home. I would make sure that key members of Congress were called in to discuss the gravity of the situation. And I would come up with a game plan to deal with it. That's what governors end up doing. We end up being problem solvers. We come up with practical, common sense solutions for problems that we're confronted with. In this case, in the case of a financial crisis, I would gather all the facts before I made the decision as to what the government ought or ought not to do.

MODERATOR: Vice President Gore?

GORE: First I want to compliment the governor on his response to those fires and floods in Texas. I accompanied James Lee Witt down to Texas when those fires broke out.

Gore brought it up as a way of trying to co-opt credit for Bush's emotional story of consoling flood victims.  The reason it was a big deal is not that it showed Gore to be a liar, but that it augmnented his reputation as someone who felt the need to embellish stories because he lacked confidence in himself for who he was.  "I took the initiative in creating the internet" was the biggest such example, but the floods story was much the same.

Because Franken never provides this context, he lies by omission.  Because he pretends that the story got major coverage on the evening news programs, he lies by distortion (The story was at most a side issue.  The larger scandals from that first debate were Gore's sighs and his made up story about a young girl he had met on a campaign swing who did not have a desk to sit in at school).

Its good though that you've read such a diverse group of authors such as Al Franken, Michael Moore, and James Carville.  You really get a broad spectrum of opinion there.

I assume you mean insanity, not inanity.

So you believe Bernie Goldberg and Ann Coulter? They have a lot more lies than Franken and I would be happy to point them out to you.

I'm not going to defend Al Gore, except say that he should have become President.

I have also read books by Sean Hannity, and many non-partisan political books.

If you read his book, you will countless cases of A) Proving that Conservatives are lying, and B) Just proving them wrong, and C) Great, hilarious humor.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2004, 08:59:33 PM »

Inanity, n.- Having the quality of being inane, or lacking in sense or meaning.

Since the James Lee Witt example falls a bit short, can you provide a second example of how Franken proves us wrong and dishonest?
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2004, 10:54:40 PM »

Inanity, n.- Having the quality of being inane, or lacking in sense or meaning.

Since the James Lee Witt example falls a bit short, can you provide a second example of how Franken proves us wrong and dishonest?

This has been brought up in many places, but Franken quotes Bush as saying, "I remember campaigning in Chicago and one of the reporters asked, would you deficit spend? I said only, only in times of war, in times of economic insecurity as a result of a recession, or in times of a national emergency" June 7, 2002, in Iowa.

"Now, we have chencked everywhere and we've even called the White House as to when the candidate was campaigning in Chicago and it didn't happen. The closest he came was when he was asked, Would you give up part of your tax cut to ensure a balanced budget? And he said no. but no one ever talked about a war, a recession, and a national emergency." Tim Russert, June 9, 2002.

In fact, Al Gore actually said on May 8, 1998, at the Economic Club of Detroit, "Barring an economic reversal, a national emergency, or a foreign crisis, we shoudl balance the budget this year, next year, and every year"

If you want more, I got 'em.  

Donovan
Rookie

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2004, 03:49:51 AM »

In Dick Cheney's Acceptance Speech in 2000 in Philadelphia, he lied big time, or he just messed up.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2000/conventions/republican/transcripts/cheney.html

3rd paragraph from the bottom.

Arlington National Cemetery.

Can you imagine what the media would have said if Al Gore had said that?

"My Jewish father died defending our country and look what Al Gore says"

"Did he ever actually look down at the Cemetery, or is he just lying again"

You only found one? You must not be looking very hard.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2004, 09:47:27 AM »

You will notice in the photo that the bulk of the headstones have a cross carved on them.  There are row after row of crosses.  Considering that, by far, that the majority of Americans profess a faith where the cross is symbol, I would call it a fair, accurate, and non-sectarian statement.

Donovan once again shot himself in the foot with his own post.
Donovan
Rookie

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2004, 07:55:30 PM »

You will notice in the photo that the bulk of the headstones have a cross carved on them.  There are row after row of crosses.  Considering that, by far, that the majority of Americans profess a faith where the cross is symbol, I would call it a fair, accurate, and non-sectarian statement.

Donovan once again shot himself in the foot with his own post.

JJ,

I really doubt you even believe that crap you just spit up. You cannot see those crosses from a helecopter can you?

Once again, JJ shows he is desperate, and hard up for excuses to keep Bush and Cheney in office.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies