NLC Senatorial Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 09:14:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NLC Senatorial Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: NLC Senatorial Thread  (Read 4811 times)
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 18, 2008, 03:58:13 PM »
« edited: March 20, 2008, 08:25:47 PM by Barry Zuckerkorn »

Considering the Progressive Liberal Party has created such a thread for the upcoming April Senatorial Elections, I thought I'd create one for the NLC. Thus far, we have the following candidates running as a NLC candidate this April:

• Former Lieutenant Governor, South Park Conservative (Iowa)

Considering these NLC candidates were either elected or re-elected last December, I thought I'd add them to this list as potential candidates as well as some others and they are:

• Senator Afleitch (Wisconsin)
  • Senator Bacon King (Georgia)
  • Former President, Colin Wixted (Pennsylvania)
  • Chief Judical Officer of the NE, Hashemite (Vermont)

If you'd like to be added to the NLC list for the April Senatorial Elections, please announce your intentions in this thread.

Rockefeller Republican
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 05:57:52 PM »

Bah, I was just coming on here to create such a thread. Oh well. Anyway, we will also be having a convention for the District 2 vacancy, and the person chosen there will be considered for the list as well.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 08:14:18 PM »

Just wondering, if there is more than one NLC candidate in a district, will there be a primary election for the NLC endorsement?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 08:34:41 PM »

Just wondering, if there is more than one NLC candidate in a district, will there be a primary election for the NLC endorsement?

The Proportional Representation Act is in effect, as is the End to District Amendment.  There are no longer districts for Class B senators (effective Dec. 2007, per my interpretation); all five senators in April will be elected from a single at-large district.

As such, there is no requirement that the slate of NLC candidates be of differing geographical areas.  (Though, for PR purposes, I'd advise spreading out the candidates as much as possible.)

I'd anticipate the NLC will hold an endorsing primary if more than 5 candidates show interest in running nationwide.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 11:13:26 AM »

Assuming he wishes to run for election following his appointment, Hashemite should now also be included on this list.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 11:15:55 AM »

I would also like to state that I am considering a run in April. Atlasia is never as interesting as when you are actually a part of the government.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 03:09:23 PM »

Assuming he wishes to run for election following his appointment, Hashemite should now also be included on this list.

I will likely run for election in April indeed.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 02:13:57 AM »

Bump.

Given the number of candidates interested, we may have to consider a *gasp* competitive primary! As of right now, I am setting a final date for submissions of candidacy for such a primary for the midnight between Monday and Tuesday of next week, or between the 24th and 25th, for a primary held around the 1st of April (that date's tentative).
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 06:37:42 PM »

Bump.

Given the number of candidates interested, we may have to consider a *gasp* competitive primary! As of right now, I am setting a final date for submissions of candidacy for such a primary for the midnight between Monday and Tuesday of next week, or between the 24th and 25th, for a primary held around the 1st of April (that date's tentative).

Since I've already declared my candidacy, does that qualify me for the primary?
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 12:22:57 PM »

Would such a primary be of the residents of the regions, or of the membership of the party? Both have certain merits.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 02:06:22 PM »

Would such a primary be of the residents of the regions, or of the membership of the party? Both have certain merits.

Membership of the party. I don't see why we would need to do it on a regional basis considering that the election is for a nationwide position.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 04:07:00 PM »

Bump.

Since I've already declared my candidacy, does that qualify me for the primary?

That's sufficient.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 04:29:04 PM »

I'd hope that everyone can participate, as Colin said, because these five candidates will be elected from a single nationwide district.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2008, 04:51:30 PM »

I'd hope that everyone can participate, as Colin said, because these five candidates will be elected from a single nationwide district.

Wait. Since there are five declared candidates, and five slots up for election, then what's the point of having a primary? To validate the candidates' endorsements from their party?
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2008, 05:41:09 PM »

Wait. Since there are five declared candidates, and five slots up for election, then what's the point of having a primary? To validate the candidates' endorsements from their party?

It may be in the NLC's best interest to only have 3 or 4 candidates running, in order to allow less vote splitting and allow for more of our candidates to be elected. Also a primary might be in order to determine the party list for voting. If NLC votes are directed towards the number one candidate we can get him elected in the first round by getting the candidate over the threshold. His votes will then be distributed to the number two NLC candidate and so on.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2008, 09:38:03 AM »

I would indeed support an internal primary to determine ballot listing.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2008, 10:16:19 AM »

It may be in the NLC's best interest to only have 3 or 4 candidates running, in order to allow less vote splitting and allow for more of our candidates to be elected. Also a primary might be in order to determine the party list for voting. If NLC votes are directed towards the number one candidate we can get him elected in the first round by getting the candidate over the threshold. His votes will then be distributed to the number two NLC candidate and so on.

I don't know—I think I'd rather see the NLC put up the full slate of 5.  After all, with Jake's odd party switch, the party currently has a full majority (6 of 10 seats) and four seats to defend this cycle.

Further, I think the party list idea is a fine one.  As SoFA, I can't emphasize this enough: ballot preferencing order matters more now than ever before.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2008, 01:03:25 PM »

Exactly; ballot listing is key. Additionally, much as I would like to express my confidence, there is very little chance that we will sweep five Senate seats in an STV election; even Sinn Fein couldn't do it in their Belfast West stronghold (well, that was six seats, but still).

A primary will determine the ordering of candidates and the party's recommended preferencing order.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2008, 03:28:11 PM »

A primary will determine the ordering of candidates and the party's recommended preferencing order.

Mr. Chairman, may I ask when will this Primary begin and thus conclude?

For the Record: I am running as an NLC candidate in this April's senatorial election, once again.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2008, 06:57:27 AM »

For the Record: I am running as an NLC candidate in this April's senatorial election, once again.

For about a day or two?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2008, 10:44:07 AM »

After some consideration, I'm going to move up the primary date slightly so as to coincide with the weekend; the NLC primary will run from 12:00 am March 28 to 11:59 p.m. March 30 (EDT). Candidates for the primary are, in alphabetical order:

Sen. Afleitch
Sen. Bacon King
Fmr. Pres. Colin Wixted
Sen. Hashemite
Fmr. Lt. Gov. Rockefeller Republican
Fmr. Lt. Gov. South Park Conservative

The primary will determine the five NLC candidates for the STV election as well as the NLC's recommended ordering of candidates.

It will itself be conducted by STV, with the first candidate elected sitting at the top of the list, the second candidate elected second on the list, etc. As we have only six candidates for five slots, it is guaranteed that some choices will be made on the same count; in that case, the candidate with the most votes in that count shall be considered higher than the other(s) elected on that count.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2008, 11:35:09 AM »

You may wish to add MAS117's name to the list, as he's contesting the D4 open seat.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2008, 04:27:19 PM »

For about a day or two?

Haha very funny. Should I be surprised a comment of those kinds came from you?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2008, 02:34:12 PM »

The more the merrier. The fact that we can muster over the quota is a sign of our collective strength.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2008, 09:51:05 AM »

Presuming that MAS117 is on the ballot (if he is not, please ignore that preference)

1. Senator afleitch
2. Former President Colin Wixted
3. Senator Bacon King
4. Former Governor MAS117
5. Former Lt. Governor Rockerfeller Republican
6. Former Lt. Governor South Park Conservative
7. Senator Hashemite (Purely because he is not an actual member of the party and can therefore run in his own list)
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies