What's with states like OK and LA? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:01:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What's with states like OK and LA? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What's with states like OK and LA?  (Read 25253 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« on: February 14, 2004, 01:08:08 PM »

I'm not so sure that Southerners Democrats that vote Republican are generally that economically 'populist'. Certainly most of the Republican senators and representatives elected from the South, and even a few Democrats like Miller and Breaux, have managed to vote with the pro-capitalism, low-tax, free-trade vision of the national Republican party and not pay any price for it come election time back home.  
Probably these 'populist' democrats actually vote democrat.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2004, 02:14:18 PM »

registered democrats int eh south are in no way like national democrats.  Gov Blanco ran very much to the right of the national Dem party.

Sh eis pro life and against gun control.

Same with Sen LAndrieau she ran saying she voted with President Buish like 70+% of the time.

In that case I simply don't understand why they're Democrats.  

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2004, 02:50:32 PM »

registered democrats int eh south are in no way like national democrats.  Gov Blanco ran very much to the right of the national Dem party.

Same with Sen LAndrieau she ran saying she voted with President Buish like 70+% of the time.

Thank you! That's what I've been saying all along! Smiley

And on Oklahoma, I will agree with the local...it seems to me that OK follows the voting patterns of Western Farm States like Kansas and Nebraska rather than that of other Southern states.

But the Western Farm states and the South vote exactly alike don't they?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2004, 02:57:31 PM »

Well, they certainly are both very strongly Republican.  Are you saying they are different in the degree of the Republicanism?

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2004, 03:07:24 PM »

Thank you! That's what I've been saying all along! Smiley

And on Oklahoma, I will agree with the local...it seems to me that OK follows the voting patterns of Western Farm States like Kansas and Nebraska rather than that of other Southern states.

But the Western Farm states and the South vote exactly alike don't they?

No, not at all. The Western Farm states are much more Republican, for one thing. Bush got above 60% in NE, OK, ND and SD. As in WY, ID and UT. He didn't get above 60% in any Southern state.  

Oh right.  Well the farm states are almost exactly like the South except for the African-American population.  
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2004, 03:09:27 PM »

Gusaf, the reason why most Southerners goes back to the Civil War.
Most Southern Democrats are socially conservative, but on economic issues are social democrats.

BTW neither Blanco or Jindal ran on "national" platforms.

Perhaps, but the majority of voters in the South are economic conservatives as well as social conservatives.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies