Official Pennsylvania Democratic Primary Discussion Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:18:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Official Pennsylvania Democratic Primary Discussion Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Official Pennsylvania Democratic Primary Discussion Thread  (Read 62693 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« on: March 22, 2008, 04:29:55 PM »

We're still a month away and things are already starting to really heat up. I can sense it when I'm at school or downtown or even in my own neighborhood, with yard signs starting to pop up.

I created this thread mainly for Pennsylvanians to post what they have seen or heard regarding the campaign insteading of just constantly creating new threads to tell a story.

For example, the Hillary folks were lurking in Obama territory today. I had to drive down to South Philly earlier and noticed a buzz of political activity. Most of it was local stuff (South Philly has some serious primaries especially the Dem battle for the 1st District Senate seat) but I noticed a Hillary crew doing a sign wave. I "honked for Hillary," rolled down my window and told them as I was driving by, "I'd rather have McCain beat her in November." The looks of confusion and groans were priceless.  Smiley
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 11:15:25 PM »

Although I expect Hillary to win Pennsylvania by a comfortable margin, in which cities and counties do you exprect Barack to do well in?

He'll do well in all the major cities but not as well as people might think. The counties where we'll do best are in the SE.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 11:23:06 PM »

What about Pittsburg?  Good for Hillary?  What do you expect to happen there?

Pittsburgh is an interesting mix. Obama will win the city but the old school, blue collar crowd still runs the machine there and the establishment in the city is very Pro Hillary. She shouldn't get blown out there.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 09:07:45 PM »

As has been said repeatedly, Obama voters have time to attend meaningless political rallies, Hillary voters are usually at work.

Yeah, OK.

That explains her hard work in Idaho. When Obama's folks were just bumming around.

I think he's referring to the average people who come to these rallies. Hillary's base is made up of labor voters while Obama can have a bunch of students skip class to faint for him.  Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 12:07:06 AM »

"The Barack Barrage has begun" - Obama ad blitz - http://www.philly.com/inquirer/home_top_stories/20080322_Obama_begins_ad_blitz_in_Philadelphia.html

...and I've been seeing a lot of it, too.

By the way, the deadline to file voter registration for the primary is today, March 24th.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 12:08:25 AM »

Latino neighborhood, Clinton bumper stickers (PA-1, Juniata Park).  Black neighborhood (PA-2, Germantown, Nicetown), Obama signs.

Take a drive down the South Philly and Fishtown. Hillary signs (accompanied by Doc for State Senate and Keller for State Representative) are quite visible.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 12:13:37 AM »

"The Barack Barrage has begun" - Obama ad blitz - http://www.philly.com/inquirer/home_top_stories/20080322_Obama_begins_ad_blitz_in_Philadelphia.html

...and I've been seeing a lot of it, too.

By the way, the deadline to file voter registration for the primary is today, March 24th.

The envelope needs a postmark by the 24th, it doesn't need to reach the county seat by then.

Well, you should have it in by tomorrow to be safe but your information is certainly helpful. Are you sure about that though?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 01:40:14 PM »

List of big deal endorsements - http://blog.pennlive.com/pennsyltucky/2008/03/obama_announces_his_pennsylvan.html#more

Kate Michelman seems like the most notable.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 03:33:38 PM »

Oh wow, now Phil will hate Casey even more for spurning his beloved goddess!

It just makes him even more of a joke and a liar.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 06:02:50 PM »

Radio ads I heard today:

Power 99 (local rap station) - Obama reading off his proposals aimed at students and single working mothers.

Oldies 98 (local oldies station) - Hillary ad with a bunch of military generals stressing experience. One of them says how he "admires charisma" but that's not what this is about or something like that. The ad featured Wesley Clark.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 06:07:40 PM »

Oh wow, now Phil will hate Casey even more for spurning his beloved goddess!

It just makes him even more of a joke and a liar.

I thought you'd be sympathetic toward him considering how the Clintons treated his father.

Why would little Casey care about that? He openly embraced the same people who wanted the Clintons to deny his father the speaking role. His endorsement makes even less sense if that was his reasoning! The guy is a joke.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 06:22:46 PM »

Just saw an Obama TV ad. He's at a gas station talking about rising prices. It was ok but his clothing choice was odd (he had on a shirt and tie with a grey overcoat).
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 06:33:24 PM »

Just saw an Obama TV ad. He's at a gas station talking about rising prices. It was ok but his clothing choice was odd (he had on a shirt and tie with a grey overcoat).

He also said gas was $3.50 (it's $3.11).

Ha! I only heard parts of it.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 01:56:38 PM »

Don't get on CBK's bad side! She's mad at Casey's endorsement of Obama - http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/opinion/columnists/whispers/s_560872.html

I love that woman.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 02:07:04 PM »

Don't get on CBK's bad side....I love that woman.

News Flash...

Phil loves...this...

(the one on the left)

I prefer...

If this nutcase is serious about running in 2010 and somehow wins that primary, I'll be thrilled. Absolutely thrilled.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2008, 02:10:24 PM »

Someone get Schweiker ready to come out of retirement.

There are a few others on my list before Schweiker but he'd be an excellent choice, too.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2008, 05:24:56 PM »

Someone get Schweiker ready to come out of retirement.

There are a few others on my list before Schweiker but he'd be an excellent choice, too.

Like who?

I think you know at least two names that I'll give.  Wink

There are also some state leaders (well, one in particular) who are considering it that I'd absolutely love to see run. It's still up in the air as to whether or not they're going to do it though.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2008, 10:40:19 AM »

A nice article about Nutter's support for Hillary - http://www.philly.com/inquirer/home_top_left_story/20080407_Nutter_s_national_debut.html
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2008, 03:39:31 PM »

Casey endorsement said to be sign that he has finally "grown a pair" - http://www.philly.com/dailynews/local/columnists/20080408_John_Baer__Who_s_this_guy_calling_himself_Bob_Casey_Jr__.html
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2008, 04:37:40 PM »

Sure he was supported by most Republicans but that's not really because he's seen as DINO-ish.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2008, 07:40:23 PM »

Not a lot of energy compared to the mayor's race.

Does that surprise you?  Tongue

I guess I can get my rant out here. It seems as if I have some local Paul activists in my precinct and it's getting annoying. It started a few months ago with the couple putting a sign on their lawn and the bumperstickers on their cars. Fine. Whatever. It's starting to bug me now because signs are starting to appear on public property and I think they're behind it. That has me concerned about the primary. I don't want to have to work my polling place and have to worry about finding McCain signs just to counter the flood of Paul literature, signs, etc.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2008, 07:49:14 PM »

The energy on the local level inside Democratic circles (especially in big cities) is almost unmatched. It's that stronger community-oriented feel. You're not going to get that in a Presidential race.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2008, 10:08:41 PM »

Council members Bill Green and Jim Kenney (both white for those who aren't from the city) were two of the endorsements for Obama today. I'm actually kind of surprised by Kenney's endorsement.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2008, 10:14:39 PM »

Just saw the Rendell ad for Hillary. It's generic.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2008, 10:32:49 PM »

And now the Nutter ad. Again, pretty generic.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies