Democrats and race question
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:30:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Democrats and race question
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Democrats and race question  (Read 4298 times)
RRB
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 22, 2008, 10:01:19 AM »
« edited: April 27, 2008, 10:22:20 PM by RRB »

-

Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 10:03:18 AM »

I know plenty of people who have issues with a black man being president and will not admit it. 
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 10:05:14 AM »

How many of you personally know somebody who would usually vote Democrat, but say that they will be voting for McCain (or won't vote), and you know or suspect that it is because of race?

I happen to know several.  One says that she will not vote if Obama is nominated, but given that she doesn't want to start a fight with me, she won't say why.  But I know.  Others are very straight forward.  My aunt says that she loves Clinton but will vote for McCain over Obama because he is black.  This makes little sense given that she is a Mexican immigrant who married into the family.  This whole thing is sad. 

I agree its sad, but the only people I do know who wont vote for Obama are Republican and wouldnt even vote Clinton for that matter. My grandfather is ridiculously racist, to the point where we dont talk anymore. The same with my brother and with my dad to an extent. Its basically why after my parents divorced, I moved with my mom here to Virginia.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 11:40:21 AM »

How many of you personally know somebody who would usually vote Democrat, but say that they will be voting for McCain (or won't vote), and you know or suspect that it is because of race?

I happen to know several.  One says that she will not vote if Obama is nominated, but given that she doesn't want to start a fight with me, she won't say why.  But I know.  Others are very straight forward.  My aunt says that she loves Clinton but will vote for McCain over Obama because he is black.  This makes little sense given that she is a Mexican immigrant who married into the family.  This whole thing is sad. 

I agree its sad, but the only people I do know who wont vote for Obama are Republican and wouldnt even vote Clinton for that matter. My grandfather is ridiculously racist, to the point where we dont talk anymore. The same with my brother and with my dad to an extent. Its basically why after my parents divorced, I moved with my mom here to Virginia.

So where did you live before you moved here?  North Carolina?  South Carolina?  Tennessee?  Kentucky?  West Virginia?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 11:54:16 PM »

I haven't run across anyone yet...
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 12:06:43 AM »

My friend said as much when he was drunk. Take that as you will.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 06:09:39 AM »

People I know personally are either Obama supporters or Republicans, so no, I don't know any normally Democratic voters too racist to vote properly.  However there are certainly millions of such people.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 03:04:48 AM »

So where did you live before you moved here?  North Carolina?  South Carolina?  Tennessee?  Kentucky?  West Virginia?

Florida and Texas Tongue
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 10:55:53 AM »

nope
Bay Ridge, Bklyn! Born and Bred
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: -4.87

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 11:17:57 AM »

None.  All the Democrats I know are diehard Obama supporters.   And the Dems in my family have also fallen victim to the "Change YEs We Can Haz" kool-aid.   
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 11:52:51 AM »

Nope.  Racial voting doesn't much happen in my neck of the woods.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 03:33:38 PM »

Nope
elcorazon

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 03:38:21 PM »

I only know dems who support obama and are questioning whether they will vote mccain or hillary if hillary gets the nom.

i suspect the hillary supporters i know will vote obama if he is nominated.

i have one person in mind who generally votes dem, supports hillary and MIGHT vote mccain, possibly at least partially due to race, but that's mostly conjecture on my part. (she may vote obama - ftr, she's in her 80's).
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 03:47:13 PM »

Possibly my parents, but they didn't make it explicit and I'm really not sure.
No one that I know of, actually.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 04:23:51 PM »

On race, no.  I know several women, both Black and white, that prefer Clinton because she is a woman.  I know at least one that will vote for McCain if Obama is the nominee (now, it wasn't stated as race).
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2008, 04:44:56 PM »

All the Democrats I know are voting for McCain regardless.
Soldat88
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2008, 08:54:04 PM »

What about the people who won't vote for Hillary or McCain because of their race?
Bay Ridge, Bklyn! Born and Bred
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: -4.87

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2008, 08:56:51 PM »

What about the people who won't vote for Hillary or McCain because of their race?

What about all the blacks who didn't vote for Bill Clinton, Al Gore, John Kerry simple because they were white men? 

Oh, wait...
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2008, 09:43:08 PM »

I personally know a lot more people who will be willing to vote for Obama but not Clinton, but then that's a lot more common among young people and among men (and most of my friends are young men). I do know several old people who would vote for Clinton but not Obama, as well as a couple women who have this position.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2008, 09:44:47 PM »

Are these Democrats who haven't voted for a Democrat since George Wallace (except possibly Jimmy Carter)? Wink
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2008, 12:45:25 AM »

Are these Democrats who haven't voted for a Democrat since George Wallace (except possibly Jimmy Carter)? Wink

Wink
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2008, 01:01:57 AM »

Wink

You don't know any blacks States?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2008, 01:05:53 AM »

Wink

You don't know any blacks States?

Yes, but I don't discuss politics with them. Every time you do it sounds like you're at a Jeremiah Wright sermon.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2008, 01:53:30 AM »

Wink

Well then they are hardly representative of Democrats on a national scale to any degree whatsoever (which is what I kinda figured). I would call them Zell Miller Democrats but Zell strongly supported Clinton and Gore so that would be too kind to 'em.

Not that we aren't an inclusive party, but we do like our members to at least occasionally vote for our candidates. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies