Benedict XVI
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:11:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Benedict XVI
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Benedict XVI  (Read 5131 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2008, 10:55:55 PM »

Super, there were five "Big Dudes,"  The Patriarchs of Rome, Constantinople, Antioch, Alexandria, and Jerusalem.  The Catholic Encyclopedia notes that only Rome, Antioch and Alexandria originally had "patriarchal rights."
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2008, 11:07:51 PM »

Super, there were five "Big Dudes,"  The Patriarchs of Rome, Constantinople, Antioch, Alexandria, and Jerusalem.  The Catholic Encyclopedia notes that only Rome, Antioch and Alexandria originally had "patriarchal rights."

You know, for a guy who knows a lot about a lot I would think people would cut me a little more slack when I get a small detail wrong here or there.  BTW... I don't recognize Constantinople as that was an artificial "Big Dude" the other four emerge naturally.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2008, 11:46:49 PM »
« Edited: April 09, 2008, 11:57:48 PM by J. J. »

You know, for a guy who knows a lot about a lot I would think people would cut me a little more slack when I get a small detail wrong here or there.  BTW... I don't recognize Constantinople as that was an artificial "Big Dude" the other four emerge naturally.

Super, I'm not suppose to know these things.  You areWink

Actually, Constantinople was recognized by the Roman (Western) Catholic did recognize Constaninople as being a Patriachate, well before the Schism of 1054.  The Pope use to mantain the style of "Patriach of the West," until John Paul II dropped the title, as it was considered offensive to the Patriach of Constantinople (now styled the Ecumenical Patriarch).  I don't know why it was considered offensive.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2008, 12:52:14 AM »

Correction, it was Benedict that removed the title.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2008, 12:55:49 AM »

Actually, Constantinople was recognized by the Roman (Western) Catholic did recognize Constaninople as being a Patriachate, well before the Schism of 1054.  The Pope use to mantain the style of "Patriach of the West," until John Paul II dropped the title, as it was considered offensive to the Patriach of Constantinople (now styled the Ecumenical Patriarch).  I don't know why it was considered offensive.

I actually wasn't referring to the Schism, what I meant was that the others had been firmly established by, say the 4th century, because they had emerged naturally, whereas Constantinople came about because an important capital had been artificially constructed there.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2008, 01:15:27 AM »

I actually wasn't referring to the Schism, what I meant was that the others had been firmly established by, say the 4th century, because they had emerged naturally, whereas Constantinople came about because an important capital had been artificially constructed there.

The See itself was traditionally founded by St. Andrew the Apostle.  Alexandria, OTOH, was traditionally founded by St. Mark the Evangelist, who, while important, wasn't an Apostle.  Jerusalem by James the Just.

Antioch was also founded by Peter.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2008, 02:30:07 PM »

You know what... I honestly think that I am starting to like Benedict more than I like John Paul.  Whenever I see him on TV, I get a feel good sense, which I traditionally only get when I see people I really admire... those people being rare.  I never got that feeling about JPII.  That might have been just because I was so used to seeing him though.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2008, 02:32:13 PM »

I also have stopped thinking about him as a stop-gap Pope.  I sincerely hope he lives a long time.  Not that I wanted him to fall over and die before, but I just figured "Eh, he won't live long.  Who's next?"
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2008, 02:32:14 PM »

I'm really impressed by this guy, after watching him on C-SPAN.  I never saw JP2, so I cannot compare them, but Benedict seems very strong and impressive.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2008, 02:37:06 PM »

I'm really impressed by this guy, after watching him on C-SPAN.  I never saw JP2, so I cannot compare them, but Benedict seems very strong and impressive.

And just think, I could have gone to see him if our pal Phil hadn't wussed out.  Wink
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2008, 08:17:08 PM »

And just think, I could have gone to see him if our pal Phil hadn't wussed out.  Wink

It's a busy life, my friend, but I will see the Pope in person some day.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2008, 02:03:11 PM »

The characterization of him as "Gods rottweiler" was really unfair.
He actually seems pretty shy and humble.
He has a different way of connecting with me than Pope John Paul II.
JP2 connected with my heart. Benedict connects with my mind. I'm not sure if its that way with other people.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies