Let's play armchair quarterback
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:12:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Let's play armchair quarterback
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Did Hillary undestimate the Big O?  
Yep
Nope
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Let's play armchair quarterback  (Read 3199 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 31, 2008, 08:30:19 AM »

AND....what should she have done differently?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 08:41:55 AM »

her biggest mistake (possibly a fatal mistake for her candidacy) was that she had absolutely no plan post-feb. 5.  her campaign was convinced that she would wrap it up on super tuesday, when she didnt they had no idea what to do.  and obama won 12 in a row.

she should have put up a bigger fight in some of those post feb 5th contests.  instead she just ran off to texas and ohio.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 08:47:01 AM »

her biggest mistake (possibly a fatal mistake for her candidacy) was that she had absolutely no plan post-feb. 5.  her campaign was convinced that she would wrap it up on super tuesday, when she didnt they had no idea what to do.  and obama won 12 in a row.

she should have put up a bigger fight in some of those post feb 5th contests.  instead she just ran off to texas and ohio.

I completely agree.....she thought the nails would be in the Big O's political coffin after Super Tuesday.  I also don't thinks she's been very inspiring since those 12 losses....she seems deflated (although I can understand why).
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 09:02:37 AM »

She needed to work harder in all those caucus states.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 09:31:37 AM »

I completely agree.....she thought the nails would be in the Big O's political coffin after Super Tuesday.  I also don't thinks she's been very inspiring since those 12 losses....she seems deflated (although I can understand why).

I think both candidates thought it would have been over on Super Tuesday, at least initially.  I think Obama expected it to be over by March 4.  Since then, there have been problems.

I keep going back to the American Civil War analogy.  Both sides thought it would be a quick "glorious" war.  The real question is, who is Grant and who is Lee?  Were those twelve victories for Obama the Peninsula Campaign or the Wilderness Campaign?

All that said, PA, NC and IN are the key and Hilliary needs a +35 net in those.
Bay Ridge, Bklyn! Born and Bred
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: -4.87

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 09:52:32 AM »

what should she have done differently?

Stayed home.   

People simply do not like this woman.   Her unlikeability is so high, in fact, that even a relatively weak candidate like Obama can overtake her.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 10:00:10 AM »

The real question is, who is Grant and who is Lee? 

Unless the war takes a sharp and unexpected turn, J. J., I think that's rather obvious.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 10:53:22 AM »

She underestimated how much people dislike her, and her caucus organization was deplorable. She's hasn't come close to beating him in any of these states. Granted, I think caucuses should be done away with, but that doesn't matter in this race. However, she was at a disadvantage because many of her voters were elderly and may have been unable to go caucusing. Absentees were also not counted, and that hurt her as well.
ukchris82
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 11:17:21 AM »

I think Hillary should have skipped Iowa,
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 12:26:46 PM »

I think it was less that she underestimated Obama and more that she overestimated herself.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 12:31:11 PM »

I think it was less that she underestimated Obama and more that she overestimated herself.

I think it is a combination of the the two but generally I'd agree.  I'd also say she didn't learn the "Shirley Chisholm Lesson" (Rep Chisholm said "Of my 2 'handicaps' being female put more obstacles in my path than being black.")
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 12:59:07 PM »

I think both candidates thought it would have been over on Super Tuesday, at least initially.

Yes, that's true.  It wasn't that Clinton arrogantly thought that Obama would be finished on Super Tuesday.  It was that Clinton (like most other people) thought it would basically be over one way or the other on Super Tuesday.  That it would be too difficult for the loser of Super Tuesday to ever stage a comeback, and that no plans would be able to save them.  It's not as if everyone knew in advance that the two candidates would finish within about 1 or 2% of each other on Super Tuesday, making it virtually a tie.

Still, even if it was unlikely for the race to go on this long, they should have had contingency plans just in case.  However, I can understand why planning campaigns in 22 Super Tuesday states might have offered too much of a distraction to worry about what comes afer.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 02:03:01 PM »

She should have skipped Iowa, and competed harder in the caucus states.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 02:44:23 PM »

She needed to work harder in all those caucus states.

Exactly.  She punted WAY too many small caucus states because she figured they wouldn't matter.

Had she cared more about the bare-knuckle delegate fight, and less about "momentum," she might have enough extra delegates to have a legit shot at a convention win.  (Unlike now, where she could still win, but it'd be a dirty win that would fracture the Democratic Party for years along racial lines.)
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 10:04:51 PM »

- Should have punted Iowa to Edwards.

- How about her oppo research not finding the Jeremiah Wright tape? It took some guy on YouTube to find it? Imagine if this had come out late 2007 or even the last week of January.

- Message, message, message. I know some people here will deny it, but there are things she could have done to be more likable among the online grassroots set, and by extension, some in the media/political elite. Instead of contrasting herself to Obama's message of hope and change, she could have agreed with it, but then come back with her own inspiring message about fighting for children and the sick for decades, about how her Methodist upbringing taught her to see society as a community where we should take care first of our young and sick and old and poor; those who need it the most. She could framed it as a personal struggle too, contrasted her responsible, brainy style with the cowboy adventurism of George Bush, and been more articulate about her problems with Bill and raising Chelsea in order to express how family shaped her beliefs. In short, run a more inspiring campaign and harness her personal life more; not just assuming that people 'knew her already'. That would have allowed her to run as a woman and be more believable (one of the reasons that stories like the Bosnia exaggeration have particular potency, is that it seems like she's trying too hard to be manly) and also give her an inspiring cause to run for President that was more believable.

Of course, the advantages of the message she did employ are clear: it allows her to create a strong contrast with your opponent, and that's often the most important thing you want to do in any debate. So I'm in no way saying Mark Penn's message was completely wrong. But as a Clinton supporter, it would have felt a lot better if she had run the other message, and instinctively, I feel she would have done better.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2008, 10:16:29 PM »

Biggest mistakes
- The big-state strategy - a caucus or two in the west would have made a lot of difference

- Allowing race in any way shape or form dictate the post-NH environment. While I technically agreed with what Clinton said about Johnson and Civil Rights there was NO WAY it was going to be reported any other way than it was. Then Bill and his bloody Jackson comment. It cemented the black vote behind Obama.

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2008, 10:18:20 PM »

Not hire high-priced idiots to run her campaign.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2008, 01:01:37 AM »

Biggest mistakes
- The big-state strategy - a caucus or two in the west would have made a lot of difference

It's not a strategy, it's an excuse.

As to what she should have done differently...

I'll agree that she should not have contested Iowa.  That was always the only state in contention throughout 2007.  Yes, it could have given Edwards a chance, but she'd have defeated Edwards (& would easily have won a 3-way race, I think) later on.

Obama was running ads in VA & MD before February 5th.  He knew what he was doing.  Yes, he had more money, but it doesn't excuse her failure there.

Her delegate deficit is almost entirely due to caucus failures.  If she had performed respectably there, that's 100 delegates she could have made up.  If she had tried in February, they'd probably be tied right now.
motomonkey
Rookie

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2008, 01:49:26 PM »

It is easy to look back and see lots of mistakes in any campaign, but these seem to be some of them for Hillary Clinton:

1.  She failed to put together a winning caucus strategy
2.  Her message was wrong. She went negative i.e. "Anti-Bush" where as the "Hope/Change" message of Obama was superior.  She should have recognized that the country wanted change and hope more than just criticism of the past.  This worked against her on several levels such as:
a)  Made her look like she was "looking back" instead of forward
b)  Reinforced negative impressions of her as a critic and unlikeable
3)  She completely blew with her use of Bill. 
4)  Her exaggeration on the "sniper fire" issue is regretable
5)  Allowing the "inevitable nominee" story to grow rather than managing expectations was a mistake.

JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2008, 02:07:29 PM »

what should she have done differently?

Stayed home.   

People simply do not like this woman.   Her unlikeability is so high, in fact, that even a relatively weak candidate like Obama can overtake her.

Two reasons I thought my preferred candidates -- Dodd or Biden -- actually had a chance.  Hillary's utter unlikeability and Obama's lack of experience.

My guess is, Democrats feel like they went with intellect and experience in 2000 and 2004 and it got them nowhere. <sigh>  I still prefer intellect and experience.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2008, 02:47:47 PM »

1-Actually tried to compete in the caucus states instead of just ignoring all of them and then afterwards arguing that they don't matter anyway (a very insulting talking point that backfired on her totally. Probably one of the reasons for her brutal February losing streak.)
2-No playing of the race card. It didn't help her jack in South Carolina, or in any Super Tuesday state. Might've cost her Missouri and Connecticut actually.
3-Actually set up a post-Super Tuesday plan. If people like me can accurately predict the race going on past Super Tuesday how could her supposed top notch campaign team not do so?
4-Realize that Obama was always going to get more support from not being Hillary than she was from not being Obama. Her post-Super Tuesday strategy didn't seem to realize that either.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2008, 02:56:39 PM »

This question took me a second to process.

"Wait, she won the Ohio primary?"

"OH, Obama!"
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2008, 03:05:30 PM »

1-Actually tried to compete in the caucus states instead of just ignoring all of them and then afterwards arguing that they don't matter anyway (a very insulting talking point that backfired on her totally. Probably one of the reasons for her brutal February losing streak.)

I don't think it was meant to be insulting. I think the argument was that caucuses aren't necessarily accurate predictors of electability in the general election, also that caucuses aren't necessarily accurate predictors of the popular will either. Penn statement about "significant states" might have been insulting, but it was also part of a strategy. He wouldn't have said that if the situations were reversed.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

1) I doubt they were looking forward to a long and divisive primary. Who can blame them? It's not good for the party. It would have been better for everything to have been resolved on Super Tuesday-- one way or the other.

2) The post-super Tuesday states were not favorable. She might have had a chance in Maine, but even with stronger organizing, Nebraska and Washington were likely out of reach. Still, it's true that she could have cut down the margins.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2008, 03:31:51 PM »

I don't think it was meant to be insulting. I think the argument was that caucuses aren't necessarily accurate predictors of electability in the general election, also that caucuses aren't necessarily accurate predictors of the popular will either. Penn statement about "significant states" might have been insulting, but it was also part of a strategy. He wouldn't have said that if the situations were reversed.

Hillary Clinton was in a campaign to get the most delegates. Whether or not the caucuses are an accurate indicator of the popular will is irrelevent. That talking point was just an excuse made after the fact. It was stupid to completely ignore them.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2008, 03:41:58 PM »

Hillary Clinton was in a campaign to get the most delegates. Whether or not the caucuses are an accurate indicator of the popular will is irrelevent. That talking point was just an excuse made after the fact. It was stupid to completely ignore them.

Sure, I was just responding to the "argument afterward" about caucuses. They should have organized the caucuses more effectively preemptively to be sure. How does one organize a caucus anyway? They made quite an effort in Iowa but all the money must have done down the hole there because they apparently didn't have enough to do what Obama did in the others. It's hard to tell without a detailed spending analysis-- but I suspect that Obama ran with the kind of message that was slightly more appealing to those activist types anyways.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies