Which is more traditional and religious?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:08:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Which is more traditional and religious?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well, which one?
West Virginia

Arkansas

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: Which is more traditional and religious?  (Read 2053 times)
Kevin Gaede
FREEDOMNOTBUSH
Rookie
Israel

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 03, 2008, 11:22:09 AM »

I'd say West Virginia, of course. Neither one really though.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 12:16:41 PM »

Arkansas. You won't catch me in either state any time soon though.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 01:27:49 PM »

Also, I was kind of hoping the options were going to be "Prussian Blue" and "Soulja Boy" again.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 02:12:12 PM »

Religious is almost certainly Arkansas, given that they have Black people. Traditional, I'd go with WV because that they haven't done much to enter the modern economy. NW Arkansas in particular (Wal-Mart Land) has a much more dynamic economy that you won't find anywhere in WV.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 02:32:30 PM »

Arkansas
Willy Woz
Yemen

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -5.13

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 02:51:38 PM »

Religious is almost certainly Arkansas, given that they have Black people.

Good Lord. You think Southern whites are all non-religious!!!

Anyway, my vite goes to Arkansas (both blacks and whites are more evangelical/religious)
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 04:37:50 PM »

Compared to blacks, yes.
Willy Woz
Yemen

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -5.13

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 04:39:51 PM »
« Edited: April 03, 2008, 04:41:47 PM by Cay Tea »

Compared to blacks, yes.

Where the hell do you live? You're insinuating white people in Mississippi are no more religious than white people in Massachusetts!
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 05:58:50 PM »

I would say it would be W.Va. but just by a tad.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 06:36:58 PM »

Arkansas.

Afterall they did elect Mike Huckabee to the Governor's office. Though saying this they did also elect Bill Clinton, Jim Guy Tucker.....
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 08:33:19 PM »

Compared to blacks, yes.

Where the hell do you live? You're insinuating white people in Mississippi are no more religious than white people in Massachusetts!
No, he meant that compared to southern blacks, southern whites are less religious.  He's not comparing white people in different regions.  He's implying (I'm assuming) that because there are more blacks in AR than in WV and that southern blacks are more likely to go to church than southern whites, thus AR is more religious than WV.
Kevin Gaede
FREEDOMNOTBUSH
Rookie
Israel

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 08:35:34 PM »

Southern whites never go to church, and are just like whites in Massachusetts.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 08:38:04 PM »

Southern whites never go to church, and are just like whites in Massachusetts.

Massachusetts has a higher church attendance rate than West Virginia.
Kevin Gaede
FREEDOMNOTBUSH
Rookie
Israel

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 08:41:32 PM »

That's because it has a higher church attendance rate than any other state. Haven't you seen the polls?
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2008, 08:45:11 PM »

That's because it has a higher church attendance rate than any other state. Haven't you seen the polls?

What?

Than again church-attendance rates aren't the best way to measure degrees of religiosity or traditionalism.
Kevin Gaede
FREEDOMNOTBUSH
Rookie
Israel

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2008, 08:49:25 PM »

Actually, I think West Virginia has the lowest church attendance rate in America, except maybe Washington or Oregon. White Southerners are just as non-religious as White Northerners, so this makes sense.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2008, 10:51:27 AM »

I'd say Arkansas based on my personal experiences in both states.

Back in high school I actually went with a church group to WV to do missionary sort of work.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2008, 11:16:39 AM »

Back in high school I actually went with a church group to WV to do missionary sort of work.

What's the point of that? That's like Mormon missionaries going from Utah to a different part of Utah.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2008, 03:32:39 PM »
« Edited: April 04, 2008, 03:35:51 PM by Tik »

What's the point of that? That's like Mormon missionaries going from Utah to a different part of Utah.

All of the missions trips that we went on in the US focused more on community service and whatnot instead of, say, actual street preaching or something. WV as you know is extremely poor in places so we spent time doing things like cleaning public properties, taking care of kids and the elderly, etc.

By the way, I actually just got back from a trip to Arkansas yesterday. We were only there for two days but it quickly became a joke that there were more churches than people (especially black people, of which I saw none). The county I spent most of the time in was also dry and all of the businesses closed down around 8 just because. And apparently it was a KKK stronghold of sorts. Not suburban, but pretty rural, and pretty backwards to what I'm used to.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2008, 07:18:18 PM »
« Edited: April 04, 2008, 07:41:42 PM by memphis »

All of the missions trips that we went on in the US focused more on community service and whatnot instead of, say, actual street preaching or something. WV as you know is extremely poor in places so we spent time doing things like cleaning public properties, taking care of kids and the elderly, etc.

By the way, I actually just got back from a trip to Arkansas yesterday. We were only there for two days but it quickly became a joke that there were more churches than people (especially black people, of which I saw none). The county I spent most of the time in was also dry and all of the businesses closed down around 8 just because. And apparently it was a KKK stronghold of sorts. Not suburban, but pretty rural, and pretty backwards to what I'm used to.

Where in AR were you?
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2008, 04:23:04 PM »

Where in AR were you?

Harrison, mostly, and the surrounding area. Also took a short trip to Eureka Springs.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2008, 11:52:30 PM »

Where in AR were you?

Harrison, mostly, and the surrounding area. Also took a short trip to Eureka Springs.

The Ozarks are really white in general plus Harrison drove out all its blacks in the early twentieth century. As you noted, the largest modern group claiming to be the Klan (there are several such groups) is based in Boone County.  It seems really strange to me to be against a group of people with whom you've had almost no contact. There's a reason I have no opinion about Australian Aborigonees...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies