Betancourt, Americans, Less Important People Rescued
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:40:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Betancourt, Americans, Less Important People Rescued
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Betancourt, Americans, Less Important People Rescued  (Read 1599 times)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 02, 2008, 04:12:18 PM »

Betancourt 'rescued in Colombia'

Footage of Ingrid Betancourt filmed by her captors

The Colombian authorities say they have rescued Ingrid Betancourt and three Americans held by rebels in Colombia.

Ms Betancourt, a French-Colombian politician, has been held for more than six years by the rebel Farc group and is said to be in very poor health.

She is the group's highest-profile hostage and the French government has made securing her release a priority.

The Farc group has been fighting to overthrow the Colombian government for more than 40 years.

Colombian Defence Minister Juan Manuel Santos said no-one had been hurt in Wednesday's operation in the southern province of Guaviare and that the hostages were in relatively good health.

Ms Betancourt's son, Lorenzo Delloye-Betancourt, told reporters in Paris that her release was "the most beautiful news of my life" and that it had filled him with "an indescribable joy".

Government 'success'

The Colombian military said some 15 hostages had been rescued in total, among them 11 members of the Colombian security forces who had been captured in various rebel attacks.

The three Americans rescued were defence department contract workers captured after their light aircraft crashed in the Colombian jungle in 2003, the Colombian military said.

The BBC's Jeremy McDermott in Medellin says the successful operation by Colombian security forces is a political and military coup for the country's government.

As such, it will relieve the pressure on President Alvaro Uribe to negotiate with the Farc - the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia - allowing him to continue with his US-backed military offensive against the group, our correspondent says.

The Farc had hoped to exchange some 60 political hostages for hundreds of rebels held by the Colombian government, he adds, but with Ms Betancourt's rescue they have lost a powerful negotiating tool.

The news is yet another blow to the once-mighty Farc, our correspondent adds, following the death of its legendary leader Manuel Marulanda in March, along with two other members of the guerrilla group's seven-man ruling body.

The Farc still holds more than 40 hostages.

Bla bla bla ...

It still amuses me how Betancourt and the Americans get higher billing than the other hostages, but c'est la vie Tongue  Hooray Grin
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 04:16:11 PM »

Smiley Excellent news!

EXCELLENT!
Spaghetti Cat
Driedapples
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 05:16:51 PM »

I'm happy to here this.  I've been following this for a while now.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 05:18:50 PM »

Smiley
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 12:56:51 AM »

This will probably have big impacts on the Columbia's situation.

It is reinforcing Uribe government and a big blow to the FARC. Perhaps that will be the beginning of the end of FARC. I heard than FARC are losing members.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 01:28:30 PM »

Swiss Radio says that FARC was given $20 million as ransom:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/jul/04/betancourt.france?gusrc=rss&feed=networkfront
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 02:10:24 PM »

Perhaps.

But we must always be suspicious of ''reliable sources''.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 03:29:19 PM »

Perhaps.

But we must always be suspicious of ''reliable sources''.

^^

I was wondering when all the conspiracy theories would spark up.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 09:33:39 PM »

Smiley
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 09:21:27 AM »
« Edited: July 05, 2008, 09:23:09 AM by tsionebreicruoc »

Well, this seems to be bad for Chavez and good for Uribe. Someone would have more precise ideas on the consequences it could have for these 2 leaders?

Then, still about this, I don't know in other countries how it has been, but here, in France, it was an avalanche of media-emotions. Emotions of Ingrid, of Ingrid and her children, Ingrid and the rest of her family, followed everywhere to see how they kiss themselves together, and this taking quite all the place in TV-news. And journalists to always say that it was so wonderful all this emotion.

Who was freed? Ingrid Betancourt or the emotions of our depressive/excited societies?

Last point, one more amazing thing for France. Media here spoke a lot about the fact that Ingrid Betancourt gave a lot of importance to "God" in her liberation, and she was presented in media quite as a saint. Interesting, when we know that in France religion is quite a taboo debate. We rejected it by our 1789 revolution. We have more an anti-religious than a religious culture in this country since this event. And, to me, it is the first time that it has been so much talked about it in a positive sens especially concerning the charismatic part of religion, the christian religion.

Well, this liberation was nice for Ingrid Betancourt but here it has been the apology of emotions and of the irrational part of religion, all of this swollen by medias.

I'm curious to know how it was told in other countries and if it was in such proportions. Thanks.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies