Beijing 2008 Olympic Games Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:41:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Beijing 2008 Olympic Games Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Beijing 2008 Olympic Games Discussion Thread  (Read 7708 times)
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2008, 11:13:40 AM »

I hope the damn flame gets put out everywhere it goes.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2008, 03:24:28 PM »

^^^

Actually, right now, it's the 'thugs in blue' (aka, the Chinese paramilitary just taken out of Tibet to protect the flame) that are putting it out and randomly stealing it from the carrier's hands. This is getting even more comparable to the Nazi Games.

Amnesty Intl. has also said human rights have been getting even worse in China lately.

I hope these games are a horrible failure for the Chinese government and the IOC.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2008, 04:00:15 PM »

This is getting even more comparable to the Nazi Games.

Did you see my comment in the other thread?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2008, 11:46:54 PM »

Some timely cartoons.  link

My favorite
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2008, 11:57:14 PM »

I hope all the subversive groups in China (pro-democracy, freedom of press, Christians, Tibetans, ethnic minorities, anyone else I've missed) organize massive Tiananmen Square style protests in Beijing right during the games. Then China will have to choose - brutally suppress the protests as the world's eyes are on them or acknowledge the massive problems at the moment of their planned glory.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2008, 12:34:27 AM »

From here
You must be logged in to read this quote.
That aint right.  You'd think in America one would have the freedom to do that.  Sad.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2008, 12:46:43 AM »

From here
That aint right.  You'd think in America one would have the freedom to do that.  Sad.

Disgusting.

On a somewhat related note, the elementary school right by me is having their "Jog-a-thon" next week and they always start it with the Olympic music. This year they'll be adding a Tibetan flag Smiley
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2008, 01:07:16 AM »

Finally, an issue that can unite left, middle and right. Smiley
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2008, 02:14:40 AM »

And Bush still won't listen! Smiley
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2008, 01:47:51 AM »

China's getting pissy.  They can't stand the fact that the rest of the world (or at least the parts that matter) have a free press.

China demands CNN apologize

An angry China is lashing out at its foreign critics

(more at links)

I wish our press had balls like this for the Mohammed cartoons.  I'm still embarrassed about that.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2008, 04:30:41 AM »

Speech in Parliament last week:

Mr FINN (Western Metropolitan) -- Passionate demonstrations against China in London and Paris in recent days and in the United States of America today should come as no surprise. They should have been foreseen by the International Olympic Committee when it inexplicably awarded Beijing the 2008 Olympic Games.

We have been told that China has changed, but it has not. The so-called People's Republic of China today lives as much by the dictum of the evil tyrant Mao Tse-tung that political power comes through the barrel of a gun as it ever has. After the Tiananmen Square massacre we were told China had changed, but it has not. The government of China today is still controlled by the same sort of lying, murdering, bullying old thugs it has always been controlled by since the victory of communism. They are barbarians who oppress their own people in the name of totalitarianism. They hate freedom.

The Australian Olympic Committee should immediately announce the cancellation of the Olympic torch visit to Canberra later this month. If not, the temptation to travel to the national capital to express my own protest may be too strong to resist. This is not about mixing sport and politics; this is about showing our disdain for a totally corrupt regime dripping in the blood of its victims.

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2008, 04:44:45 AM »

Good for him.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2008, 04:56:40 AM »

Yeah, he's probably my favourite MP. Always speaks his mind.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2008, 04:00:30 PM »

Tibet...

Burma...

North Korea...

Irak!

West as bugs...

West wants to explain the World what the World has to do...

West understand everything and always knows what is good to do...

West never acts, or just for his-self interest...

West should shut up sometimes I think, or, should put his acts in coherence with what it says...

West should think before speaking and should be aware of the possible consequences of what it says...

West is you...

West is me...

West is all of us and I'm fed up with what it becomes...

West has to do a choice concerning Tibet...

The choice of the humility of the one who keeps his reserve concerning something he doesn't really know and he doesn't really control, who try to have an engagement with a little bit of logic and who can assume the consequences about which he is aware...

Or the choice of compassion, above everything...

I've done mine, that's the first one...

Enjoy yours and its consequences...

Tibet...

Burma...

North Korea...

Else I don't think about...

I really don't like what happens in this countries, I'm really fed up with these authorities who break their populations, who are hypocritical, deserve first their own interests and just laugh about all the rest...

I really don't like it as I really don't like pictures of tortured Tibetan Monks, as I really don't like when Man loses his-self in violence...

I really don't like all of this, but I really assume that I haven't the claim to have the truth and to know what should these countries do, to order them what they have to do...

My wonder for something better than the current reality takes place in other corners...

It's easy to speak as I do in a small village of the South-West of France...

But I think that all these indignations and claims concerning what should or what shouldn't do China are as much easy...

One ease includes humility, the other compassion...

It's you to choose, humility, or, compassion...

Oh, to finish, did you know, Western peoples, that all nations, so the squares in which we currently live (oh ok, they are dying, but we officially speak about them), have been build by breaking their minorities, all human constructions break its minorities...

I think that peoples who claim their indignation about what happens in Tibet should wonder about it and further about what could implicate their position...

Oh, and, really to finish, something on what I'm more at ease to make criticizes:

In France, during the passage of the torch, that are Chinese who imposed their laws to the French Police, including the authorization for journalists to film or not film such or such things, even those who had some official authorizations...

A German music group that I heard here or there called Ramstein sings a song who says:

"We all live in Americaaa, America, America...".

Well, I tend to agree, but here it could be more:

"We all live in Chihiiina, Chihiiina, Chihiiina" (I had to adapt the word China to the music).

Well, well, well, this is really interesting I think and this goes in the sens of something I spoke from a long time, before I arrived on this forum.

I mean that to me the future of quite the whole world would be a mix of America/China.

I mean more liberal economy as possible and dying of the citizens, and this surely under a "God ruling":

"What?!? You're not happy? You don't like this? You're mentally and physically very tired? But, remember, this system is from God, he wanted us to do it. Are you against God? Are you an agent from Satan? Oh no, of course, so stay quiet and follow the way, don't think. Don't think, it's totally useless, you've just to let you carry by the move, to entertain when yourself, to go to the megachurch, sing, forget all your problems, communicate with "God", and just follow this wonderful way. Hm Hm, take care if you don't do that, you're surveyed, we have very high technologies to do it, remember, you accepted it for your safety, a few time ago. We can see if you're a... deviant. Even if you believe or not in the way of God or if you can still think, if you want to lead peoples with you in other ways, we can catch you, and you know, for deviants and dangerous peoples for community, torture is allowed...".

Hmm, well, I can't tell you: "THIS will happen". But I think the current trends lead us right to something like this. Please give me reasons to think the opposite.

So, this said, I don't like it, so I can't stop myself to build reflexions for a better future, I think that it is still possible.

The slightest thing I would want from other peoples it is consideration for this point of view, and then, further if affinities...

Well, sorry, I've been far from the torch, OK I stop myself here...

Keep watching!
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2008, 04:01:53 PM »

^ what
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2008, 10:06:56 PM »

Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2008, 07:05:55 AM »

Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2008, 07:31:41 AM »

Tibet...

Burma...

North Korea...

Irak!

West as bugs...

West wants to explain the World what the World has to do...

West understand everything and always knows what is good to do...

West never acts, or just for his-self interest...

West should shut up sometimes I think, or, should put his acts in coherence with what it says...

West should think before speaking and should be aware of the possible consequences of what it says...

West is you...

West is me...

West is all of us and I'm fed up with what it becomes...

West has to do a choice concerning Tibet...

The choice of the humility of the one who keeps his reserve concerning something he doesn't really know and he doesn't really control, who try to have an engagement with a little bit of logic and who can assume the consequences about which he is aware...

Or the choice of compassion, above everything...

I've done mine, that's the first one...

Enjoy yours and its consequences...

Tibet...

Burma...

North Korea...

Else I don't think about...

I really don't like what happens in this countries, I'm really fed up with these authorities who break their populations, who are hypocritical, deserve first their own interests and just laugh about all the rest...

I really don't like it as I really don't like pictures of tortured Tibetan Monks, as I really don't like when Man loses his-self in violence...

I really don't like all of this, but I really assume that I haven't the claim to have the truth and to know what should these countries do, to order them what they have to do...

My wonder for something better than the current reality takes place in other corners...

It's easy to speak as I do in a small village of the South-West of France...

But I think that all these indignations and claims concerning what should or what shouldn't do China are as much easy...

One ease includes humility, the other compassion...

It's you to choose, humility, or, compassion...

Oh, to finish, did you know, Western peoples, that all nations, so the squares in which we currently live (oh ok, they are dying, but we officially speak about them), have been build by breaking their minorities, all human constructions break its minorities...

I think that peoples who claim their indignation about what happens in Tibet should wonder about it and further about what could implicate their position...

Oh, and, really to finish, something on what I'm more at ease to make criticizes:

In France, during the passage of the torch, that are Chinese who imposed their laws to the French Police, including the authorization for journalists to film or not film such or such things, even those who had some official authorizations...

A German music group that I heard here or there called Ramstein sings a song who says:

"We all live in Americaaa, America, America...".

Well, I tend to agree, but here it could be more:

"We all live in Chihiiina, Chihiiina, Chihiiina" (I had to adapt the word China to the music).

Well, well, well, this is really interesting I think and this goes in the sens of something I spoke from a long time, before I arrived on this forum.

I mean that to me the future of quite the whole world would be a mix of America/China.

I mean more liberal economy as possible and dying of the citizens, and this surely under a "God ruling":

"What?!? You're not happy? You don't like this? You're mentally and physically very tired? But, remember, this system is from God, he wanted us to do it. Are you against God? Are you an agent from Satan? Oh no, of course, so stay quiet and follow the way, don't think. Don't think, it's totally useless, you've just to let you carry by the move, to entertain when yourself, to go to the megachurch, sing, forget all your problems, communicate with "God", and just follow this wonderful way. Hm Hm, take care if you don't do that, you're surveyed, we have very high technologies to do it, remember, you accepted it for your safety, a few time ago. We can see if you're a... deviant. Even if you believe or not in the way of God or if you can still think, if you want to lead peoples with you in other ways, we can catch you, and you know, for deviants and dangerous peoples for community, torture is allowed...".

Hmm, well, I can't tell you: "THIS will happen". But I think the current trends lead us right to something like this. Please give me reasons to think the opposite.

So, this said, I don't like it, so I can't stop myself to build reflexions for a better future, I think that it is still possible.

The slightest thing I would want from other peoples it is consideration for this point of view, and then, further if affinities...

Well, sorry, I've been far from the torch, OK I stop myself here...

Keep watching!

Rock on!
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2008, 07:29:13 AM »

Wow! Give me that dealers phone # because that sure was some good sh!t!
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2008, 06:03:57 AM »

Nepal to use deadly force in dealing with protestors.  link

Another Chinese pet, Thailand, had their torch run go well and only a few Chinese thugs...errr "torch gaurds" had to get physical.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2008, 06:49:26 AM »

The Chinese thugs are thugs, in fact, they're paramilitaries just out from Lhassa.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2008, 12:08:10 AM »

The IOC has made me bitter and now I will cling to my guns and go to church...even on Wednesday.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2008, 05:05:19 AM »

Coincidentally, the Canberra leg went off without a hitch-and without the thugs crowding around the torch. Good work ACT government.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2008, 06:58:59 AM »

Coincidentally, the Canberra leg went off without a hitch-and without the thugs crowding around the torch. Good work ACT government.

Sad
jeron
Netherlands
Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -7.48

« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2008, 09:06:43 AM »

These protests against China are slightly hypocritical. All these people are more than happy to trade with China and to buy products from China made by 8 year olds. The same politicians who now call for a boycot have been going on trade missions to China for years in order to sign contracts there.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies