Beijing 2008 Olympic Games Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:24:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Beijing 2008 Olympic Games Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Beijing 2008 Olympic Games Discussion Thread  (Read 7671 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2008, 10:33:37 AM »

I don't really think you can count Mexico City considering that happened TEN DAYS before the Olympics, hardly something that was going on when it was chosen.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2008, 10:12:57 AM »

I'm just back on the forum since my last "message" of this topic.

Wow! Give me that dealers phone # because that sure was some good sh!t!

Mouhahaha

Wanna know the most funny? The only thing I took to write it was just the air of the time!

Such an hard drug!

Hmm, as all drugs it doesn't have the same consequences according to different peoples and according to different times. On me and on this last time it made my last "message".

Who's the dealer of the air of the time?

Hmm, some will tell you that's something they call "God".

Hmm, personally I can't say this, I don't know, I would say maybe "what exists"...

OK, once again I'm far from the torch, well it seems I can't stay closer from this. This burns?
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2008, 12:21:53 PM »

What do you all think of the Becky Hammon situation?

Olympics opportunity too much for Hammon to pass up

MOSCOW -- Becky Hammon dreamed about the moment as a young girl growing up in Rapid City, S.D. Someday that would be her on that Olympic podium, tears welling up as she hears the national anthem, quivering with emotion as a gold medal is placed around her neck.

"I love my country," Hammon said last month in her Russian apartment. "I love our national anthem. It absolutely gives me chills sometimes. I feel honored to be an American, to be from America because of what we stand for."

But if the 5-foot-6 point guard from America's heartland does ascend that medal stand in Beijing, she won't be wearing America's red, white and blue. And if Hammon does win gold, it won't be the U.S. anthem she hears. It will be the Russian anthem, a melody she says she has come to enjoy since signing a multiyear, multimillion-dollar deal last year to play for CSKA, a Russian professional club.

In April, Hammon signed with the Russian national team, about two weeks after receiving her Russian passport. "I'm going where they really want me and where I have an opportunity to win a medal," Hammon said at the time.

But Hammon -- who's averaging 13.6 points and 4.4 assists for San Antonio (2-3) this season -- says she would have given up "any amount of money" for the opportunity to represent the United States in the Summer Games. Though she finished as the runner-up in the WNBA's MVP race last season, Hammon asserts she never has been on the short list of candidates for the U.S. Olympic team.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=3427182

Personally, I'm fine with it. Her experience will be cheapened somewhat by not representing her native country and experiencing the pride and joy associated with that, but the opportunity to participate at such an amazing event may be too much to pass up.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2008, 02:58:11 PM »

Bullsh*t. If you emigrate, that's fair enough, especially if you didn't emigrate for sporting reasons. This is pure opportunism, however, and rotten.

Also in the news, the Australian athletics team won't be at the opening ceremony because of 'pollution concerns'. Fair or over the top?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2008, 03:01:17 PM »

Bullsh*t. If you emigrate, that's fair enough, especially if you didn't emigrate for sporting reasons. This is pure opportunism, however, and rotten.

I totally agree.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2008, 03:10:03 PM »

Also in the news, the Australian athletics team won't be at the opening ceremony because of 'pollution concerns'. Fair or over the top?
It's very common in other sports and it's popular in Basketball now as well. I don't agree with you - the opportunity to participate in the Olympics is rare and why should someone refrain from such a chance when he's been unable to compete fot his own country. She didn't go to Russia to play in their national team, after all - that opportunity came later.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2008, 03:35:05 PM »

Meh. Every country imports US basketball players for the Olympics because the US is the only country where basketball is both played professionally and taken seriously. Much the same is true for Olympic baseball (although some Caribbean countries and Canada export baseball players, too.)
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2008, 02:25:00 PM »

In case anyone was in doubt, Bush is going to the Opening Ceremonies in Beijing.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2008, 04:20:14 PM »

In case anyone was in doubt, Bush is going to the Opening Ceremonies in Beijing.
Thank God, this is the Olympics people.  Carter boycotting it in 1980 did nothing to hurt the USSR, it just hurt our athletes and made us look dumb.  I'm sure China ain't too fond of a lot of other countries either.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2008, 01:27:10 AM »

What do you all think of the Becky Hammon situation?

First thought: Blech, it's Russia.
Second thought: Blech, it's Russia.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies