Kennedy/Smathers vs. Rockefeller/Reagan vs. Wallace/LeMay-1968 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:04:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  Kennedy/Smathers vs. Rockefeller/Reagan vs. Wallace/LeMay-1968 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kennedy/Smathers vs. Rockefeller/Reagan vs. Wallace/LeMay-1968  (Read 5301 times)
GPORTER
gporter
United States

« on: April 15, 2008, 04:24:49 PM »

Bobby Kennedy is not assassianated at the hotel. He wins the nomination barely on the first ballot at the DNC over Humphrey and McCarthy. Kennedy thanks his supporters and selects George Smathers as his running mate.

On the republican side, the stop Nixon movement works and there is no nominee on the first ballot in a race between Nixon, Rockefeller, and Reagan. Rockefeller prevails on the second ballot and he selects Ronald Reagan as his running mate.

George Wallace runs as an independent and he selects Curtis LeMay as his running mate.

Kennedy/Smathers: 249 Electoral Votes
Rockefeller/Reagan: 251 Electoral Votes
Wallace/LeMay:          38 Electoral Votes

You will be wondering about the big three in the north (Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio.) Illinois and Ohio were close in 1968. Wallace swings those to Kennedy. The people in Indiana will remember being comforted by Bobby when Martin Luther King Jr. was killed. Remember he announced King's death at a rally in Indianapolis. Missouri was close also in 1968 and Wallace helps Kennedy there.

The election goes to the house and Kennedy is elected President.
GPORTER
gporter
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 06:59:07 PM »

The people in Indiana will remember being comforted by Bobby when Martin Luther King Jr. was killed. Remember he announced King's death at a rally in Indianapolis. Missouri was close also in 1968 and Wallace helps Kennedy there.

Bobby Kennedy would not have won Indiana regardless of telling a group of supporters in Indianapolis that Martin Luther King Junior died. Remember Nixon did win Indiana by a big margin over HHH and Wallace in RL 1968: 50-37-11, so I doubt Nixon would lose Indiana to RFK in this scenario.

Arkansas and especially Lousiana would not have voted for RFK. In Lousiana, Wallace defeated his closest opponent Hubert Humphrey by 20 points.

I could go on for hours explaining why your map is incredibly wrong Mr. Porter but I won't. I will conclude by saying this map is incredibly flawed.

JFK won both Lousiana and Arkansas in 1960 and with the sympathy vote for the JFK Assassianation and the Kennedy name would win him over there. To add to that, he has a southern running mate. You should know that if you really know the way that the american electorate votes.

Go on, I want to hear all of you stupid comments.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies