Wild & Wacky Stats!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:17:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Wild & Wacky Stats!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Wild & Wacky Stats!  (Read 36129 times)
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2008, 07:51:16 PM »

Yeah, looking at that map, you'd think Wisconsin and perhaps Pennsylvania would be flipped but according to  http://popvssoda.com:2998/stats/ALL.html, nope, not the case. I wonder if they did the ole' switcharoo on accident. This study was done from Oklahoma after all.

Anywho, it is "Soda". "Pop" is wrong and "Coke" is just flat out retarded. Although when you look at which states call our carbonated beverages just that, it isn't too terribly surprising.

Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2008, 08:05:20 PM »

I resent this map. I hate the term 'pop'. I know one friend from Minnesota who says it, but everywhere else in at least SE PA is all 'soda'.

There's a map online that aggregates a huge number of responses; it's actually really interesting. I'll see if I can find it.

All NC should be blue. I have never heard anyone call Soda, "Coke".
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2008, 08:08:04 PM »

I love how that map picks up on a bunch of other things (like Blaine County, ID, being infested with Californians Tongue)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2008, 08:12:29 PM »

I love how that map picks up on a bunch of other things (like Blaine County, ID, being infested with Californians Tongue)

That's why I said it was really interesting. It also has a very neat demonstration of Midwest media markets (Indianapolis: coke; Chicago: pop; St. Louis: soda; Milwaukee: soda; Twin Cities: pop).
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2008, 01:54:11 AM »

Anywho, it is "Soda". "Pop" is wrong and "Coke" is just flat out retarded. Although when you look at which states call our carbonated beverages just that, it isn't too terribly surprising.
So what do you call a soda?  (ie scoop of ice cream in a glass of pop)

I think it is pretty retarded to drop the noun and retain the adjective from "soda pop"

People in the South do not use Coke as a generic word for pop.  They use it as an example.  As in "do you want a Coke or something?  I think there's a couple of cans of orange."  It's just like if you go into a restaurant, the waitress will ask if you would like some tea.  It doesn't mean that they won't serve coffee or don't know what coffee is.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2008, 06:34:37 AM »

I think it is pretty retarded to drop the noun and retain the adjective from "soda pop"

People in the South do not use Coke as a generic word for pop.  They use it as an example.  As in "do you want a Coke or something?  I think there's a couple of cans of orange."  It's just like if you go into a restaurant, the waitress will ask if you would like some tea.  It doesn't mean that they won't serve coffee or don't know what coffee is.

I grew up with "pop" for flavored carbonated beverages, and a "float" if there's ice cream in it. "Soda" meant club soda, as in a scotch and soda.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #81 on: May 06, 2008, 06:52:23 AM »

Yeah, looking at that map, you'd think Wisconsin and perhaps Pennsylvania would be flipped but according to  http://popvssoda.com:2998/stats/ALL.html, nope, not the case. I wonder if they did the ole' switcharoo on accident. This study was done from Oklahoma after all.

The eastern part of the state uses the correct form, Soda, the rest of the state uses the retarded term pop. We have the most people in the east so that's how it comes out that way.

And pop is a sound, it's not something you drink.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #82 on: May 06, 2008, 08:56:39 AM »

Pop vs. Soda vs. Coke w/ Shaded Percentage:
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #83 on: May 06, 2008, 10:03:47 AM »

Yeah what jimrtex described is a "float" here.

Do people in the south seriously refer to Sprite, Sierra Mist and 7 Up as "Coke"?
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #84 on: May 06, 2008, 10:24:07 AM »

Do people in the south seriously refer to Sprite, Sierra Mist and 7 Up as "Coke"?

I haven't talked to anyone that does.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #85 on: May 06, 2008, 11:17:48 AM »

I gotta say pop is the most retarded name for soda. No offense.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #86 on: May 06, 2008, 11:54:03 AM »

I doubt it's too accurate. The states with the most dry counties should have the lowest alcohol consumption rate.

Isn't that a bit like arguing that the states with the strictest abstinence-only sex ed should have the lowest teen pregnancy rates?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: May 06, 2008, 12:30:23 PM »
« Edited: May 06, 2008, 12:33:31 PM by Adam Griffin »

Not exactly. Where I live, most people ask for the specific beverage if they know what they want. For example, if we want a Sprite, we're not gonna say "Gimme a pop", "Gimme a soda", or "Gimme a coke", we'll say "Gimme a sprite". If you're at a restaurant and ask for a coke, you'll get Coca-Cola. If you're in my house and ask for a coke, you'll get the same. However, I've heard people ask them to "get me a coke" if they are at someone else's house, to which the other person asks, "What kind? We got ..." but if you're out in public, you'd ask "What kind of drinks do you have?", with no reference to pop, soda, or coke. But that's just Georgia. Wink Coca-Cola is the dominant beverage in the South and when people ask for it, it's normally what they want -- not a generalized term for beverage.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #88 on: May 06, 2008, 12:43:22 PM »

So if you were to make a vast, vast generalization based off of this poll/study mentioned earlier and apply it to the entire U.S. population, you would have the following:

116,087,126 people (38.18%) would say 'Pop'
117,982,820 people (38.80%) would say 'Soda'
51,066,418 people (16.80%) would say 'Coke'
18,882,175 people (6.22%) would say something else
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #89 on: May 06, 2008, 01:10:22 PM »

Sexual Orientation Motivated Hate Crimes Per Capita:

I was actually shocked to see that the states that have the most legislation in place for the LGBT community have the highest rate of violence against them. I also would have loved to seen data for the five states omitted.

Race Related Hate Crimes Per Capita:

Again, rather intrigued by this one. The darker shades indicates more incidents per capita.
jesmo

« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2008, 02:26:13 PM »

Missouri is correct on what to call that beverage. In general the state is usually correct.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2008, 02:53:47 PM »

I was actually shocked to see that the states that have the most legislation in place for the LGBT community have the highest rate of violence against them. I also would have loved to seen data for the five states omitted.

As it's only crimes that were deemed to be motivated by sexual orientation by the court, it's unsurprising. There are likely plenty (I'll go out on a pretty sturdy limb and say a lot more) of such crimes in the intolerant states, but the courts don't deem them such. This might also be a factor in the race-related crimes statistics, although much less of one (and, in both cases, it depends heavily on state statutes defining hate crimes).
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2008, 03:21:02 PM »

As it's only crimes that were deemed to be motivated by sexual orientation by the court, it's unsurprising. There are likely plenty (I'll go out on a pretty sturdy limb and say a lot more) of such crimes in the intolerant states, but the courts don't deem them such. This might also be a factor in the race-related crimes statistics, although much less of one (and, in both cases, it depends heavily on state statutes defining hate crimes).
I agree.  The more accepted stance on homosexuality means that hate-crimes motivated by sexual orientation are more likely to be reported and tried in the more liberal states. 

That map says nothing about how tolerant the various states are, but instead really reflects on how confident gays and lesbians feel in pursuing charges against their aggressors.

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #93 on: May 07, 2008, 02:20:17 PM »

Cancer diagnoses per 100,000:

Cancer deaths per 100,000:
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: May 07, 2008, 02:46:48 PM »

So the moral is don't go to Arkansas for cancer treatment.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #95 on: May 08, 2008, 06:35:44 AM »

a float.  That's what it's called.  It's not a called a "soda".  Anyway, the only soda you put ice cream in is Root Beer.  It's called a Root Beer Float.  Calling it a Root Beer Soda would be confusing.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #96 on: May 08, 2008, 06:43:58 AM »

Not exactly. Where I live, most people ask for the specific beverage if they know what they want. For example, if we want a Sprite, we're not gonna say "Gimme a pop", "Gimme a soda", or "Gimme a coke", we'll say "Gimme a sprite". If you're at a restaurant and ask for a coke, you'll get Coca-Cola. If you're in my house and ask for a coke, you'll get the same. However, I've heard people ask them to "get me a coke" if they are at someone else's house, to which the other person asks, "What kind? We got ..." but if you're out in public, you'd ask "What kind of drinks do you have?", with no reference to pop, soda, or coke. But that's just Georgia. Wink Coca-Cola is the dominant beverage in the South and when people ask for it, it's normally what they want -- not a generalized term for beverage.
Fine, you guys don't use Coke for everything soda related. 

But then why do you guys answer the question with "Coke" then?

Poll : Do you call it soda or pop?
Everybody in the South : We call it Coke!
The rest of the country : wait, what?  You call Sprite or Dr.Pepper "Coke"?
South : no that would be stupid.
The rest of us : ba wha?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #97 on: May 08, 2008, 07:27:12 AM »

Yeah I know, it's dumb. I guess it's just a preferred term compared to 'pop' or 'soda', or it may have to do with the fact that Coca-Cola is based in Atlanta and the term just infiltrated the region because of that.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #98 on: May 08, 2008, 08:19:06 AM »

Its because theres a special kind of coke inside :-D
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #99 on: May 08, 2008, 10:34:51 AM »

No.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies