The Midgard Chronicle
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:23:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Midgard Chronicle
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12
Author Topic: The Midgard Chronicle  (Read 31119 times)
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: January 05, 2005, 12:54:48 PM »

China refuses to sell to Atlasia

In a bold new move, China has refused to export anything made in it's country to Atlasia until the next election is held. No statements were released, and the Atlasian goernment is yet to respond. Chinese goods will now flood other western markets and it is expected that the Atlasian business community will be severly hurt by the embargo on exports. It is currently believed to be in direct response to the Presidnet's tariff increases on many Chinese producedgoods. In related news, China has announced that it will be the head of a new trade organisation of North and Central Asian states, and that it will send 3,500 troops into Sri Lanka to help with the restoration of essential infrastructure.

You just asked for it China!

Prepare the tariffs!!!!
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #201 on: January 05, 2005, 04:01:19 PM »

Okay okay let me get this straight. China has been openly agressive toward Atlasia and the world. It has stopped exports to Atlasia but yet their is no word from any Atlasian allies? None at all. Hugh if you really do not like this job just quit.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #202 on: January 05, 2005, 04:07:22 PM »

Just to clam fears, a little bit of negotiating on the US part and this will die down significantly. The Chinese don't want to destroy their economy either, they're just calling the Atlasian bluff. Thats not to say they aren't going to hold out for at least a little bit of a concession on some issues from Atlasia-especially the tarriffs...

Prepare the tariffs!!!!

I'm getting the sense that the President isn't listening...
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #203 on: January 05, 2005, 04:39:42 PM »

Just to clam fears, a little bit of negotiating on the US part and this will die down significantly. The Chinese don't want to destroy their economy either, they're just calling the Atlasian bluff. Thats not to say they aren't going to hold out for at least a little bit of a concession on some issues from Atlasia-especially the tarriffs...

Prepare the tariffs!!!!

I'm getting the sense that the President isn't listening...

Welcome to last year.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #204 on: January 05, 2005, 05:34:38 PM »

Prepare the tariffs!!!!

What type of torture did your parents do to you when you were a child that made you suddenly love tariffs and Herbert Hoover?
StevenNick
StevenNick99

« Reply #205 on: January 05, 2005, 05:48:20 PM »

Prepare the tariffs!!!!

What type of torture did your parents do to you when you were a child that made you suddenly love tariffs and Herbert Hoover?

I don't know, but it was probably approved by Alberto Gonzales.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #206 on: January 05, 2005, 06:37:55 PM »

well there can hardly be any word from Atlasian allies if the Atlasian president doesnt do anything for yonks Tongue

It will settle down, as long as PBrunsel settles it down. If he wants war, which he hinted to in his PM to me, then this could be the opportunity to do it.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #207 on: January 05, 2005, 06:40:27 PM »

well there can hardly be any word from Atlasian allies if the Atlasian president doesnt do anything for yonks Tongue

It will settle down, as long as PBrunsel settles it down. If he wants war, which he hinted to in his PM to me, then this could be the opportunity to do it.

That perosnal message was just me playing on the dramitics of the moment. I am an actor at heart you know. Smiley

I do not want war with China, I want to see China free. I want to see a Chinese Democracy join the bond of all free nations.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #208 on: January 05, 2005, 06:42:39 PM »

That perosnal message was just me playing on the dramitics of the moment. I am an actor at heart you know. Smiley

I do not want war with China, I want to see China free. I want to see a Chinese Democracy join the bond of all free nations.

I'm curious how do you plan to see China free without war, though.  Do you plan to kindly ask the current government to resign?
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #209 on: January 05, 2005, 06:48:15 PM »

I'm curious how do you plan to see China free without war, though.  Do you plan to kindly ask the current government to resign?

Senator Supersoulty's Taiwan Protection Act covers how we intend to free China without war with China.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #210 on: January 05, 2005, 07:10:07 PM »

Senator Supersoulty's Taiwan Protection Act covers how we intend to free China without war with China.

I'm not sure how protecting Taiwan is going to free China, unless you're talking about Section 3, and I'm not convinced at this point that that will not be taken as an open act of aggression towards the Chinese government by China.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #211 on: January 05, 2005, 07:13:57 PM »

I'm not sure how protecting Taiwan is going to free China, unless you're talking about Section 3, and I'm not convinced at this point that that will not be taken as an open act of aggression towards the Chinese government by China.

Section 3 will help in the movement to free China, and no, it is not an act of war with China. When we aided rebels in Nicaragua and Panama we never went to war with these nations, we just funded the internal rebel movement.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #212 on: January 05, 2005, 07:14:44 PM »

Nicaragua and Panama are a lot less powerful, mate Tongue
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #213 on: January 05, 2005, 07:16:48 PM »

I know that, I would be a fool if I didn't. Smiley

But much like when we helped them overthrow a millitant Red Dictator, so we should also help China.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #214 on: January 05, 2005, 07:19:31 PM »

Section 3 will help in the movement to free China, and no, it is not an act of war with China. When we aided rebels in Nicaragua and Panama we never went to war with these nations, we just funded the internal rebel movement.

It's not what we percieve it as that matters, it's what they percieve it as.  As Hughento pointed out, Nicaragua and Panama didn't have massive armies and enough nuclear weapons to wipe a large chunk of Atlasia off the face of the Earth.

Will they perceive it as an act of war?  We can't be sure.  Is that a chance we should take?  I'm not confident that it is.

But much like when we helped them overthrow a millitant Red Dictator, so we should also help China.

I'm curious regarding how much power the dictators in Nicaragua and Panama had in comparison to the current leaders of China.  Is a rebel group really capable of overturning the Chinese government at this point in time?

I'm not confident that it's an accurate comparison between Nicaragua and Panama then to China today.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #215 on: January 05, 2005, 07:22:55 PM »

If the Chinese see are attempts to spread global freedom as an act of war, then they are the warmongers. We will not have a war unless the Chinese themselves are the aggressors.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #216 on: January 05, 2005, 07:25:07 PM »

if a nation sent people into your country to change the governmental structure, what would you say it was? Wink

Also this is a very public way to go about it Tongue
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #217 on: January 05, 2005, 07:25:54 PM »

if a nation sent people into your country to change the governmental structure, what would you say it was? Wink

Also this is a very public way to go about it Tongue

Don't worry. China filters everything, they will never show this. Smiley
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #218 on: January 05, 2005, 07:34:16 PM »

If the Chinese see are attempts to spread global freedom as an act of war, then they are the warmongers. We will not have a war unless the Chinese themselves are the aggressors.

Once again, we may see it as an attempt to spread global freedom, but won't the Chinese government care more about the fact that you're attempting to overthrow them than your intentions to spread global freedom?  If the Chinese government openly supported anti-Atlasian Government rebels in Atlasia, while saying that they're doing it to "spread global freedom", would we be warmongers for being very angry at that move?

You seem to be attempting to absolve Atlasia of all responsibility if war breaks out as a result of this action, and that just isn't the case.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #219 on: January 05, 2005, 07:39:37 PM »

Once again, we may see it as an attempt to spread global freedom, but won't the Chinese government care more about the fact that you're attempting to overthrow them than your intentions to spread global freedom?  If the Chinese government openly supported anti-Atlasian Government rebels in Atlasia, while saying that they're doing it to "spread global freedom", would we be warmongers for being very angry at that move?

You seem to be attempting to absolve Atlasia of all responsibility if war breaks out as a result of this action, and that just isn't the case.

I see your point Gabu, but we are not sending an aircraft carrier in the Taiwan Strait. We are not rolling tanks along the Mongolian Border or aiming missles toward Mainland China from Taiwan. We are (and may I say secretly) funneling funds to the Pro-Democracy Movement. I feel that if enough Pro-Democratic spirit is arised than the people of China will demand better from their government and then they will makew the needed reforms.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #220 on: January 05, 2005, 07:41:35 PM »

I see your point Gabu, but we are not sending an aircraft carrier in the Taiwan Strait. We are not rolling tanks along the Mongolian Border or aiming missles toward Mainland China from Taiwan. We are (and may I say secretly) funneling funds to the Pro-Democracy Movement. I feel that if enough Pro-Democratic spirit is arised than the people of China will demand better from their government and then they will makew the needed reforms.

How is it secret if our intentions are in a public bill presented before the Senate?  Bills' contents are not exactly classified information.

I was assuming that we were making it public in a show of defiance against China or something like that.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #221 on: January 05, 2005, 07:42:26 PM »

How is it secret if our intentions are in a public bill presented before the Senate?  Bills' contents are not exactly classified information.

That secret comment was kind of a crack at the CIA. Smiley
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #222 on: January 05, 2005, 07:43:38 PM »

That secret comment was kind of a crack at the CIA. Smiley

Ah. Tongue

Well, if we did it secretly, I could probably be more supportive of that.  It would be very, very destabilizing if the Chinese found out about it, however.  We'd need to be careful about it.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #223 on: January 05, 2005, 07:48:50 PM »

Ahem... I'm assuming that this conversation was actually over a secure governmental line and not a sequence of letters to the editor. Smiley
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #224 on: January 05, 2005, 07:55:27 PM »

Ahem... I'm assuming that this conversation was actually over a secure governmental line and not a sequence of letters to the editor. Smiley

Yes. I was speaking to you via radio phone from a secret bunker somehwere in Montana. Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies