Who is the greatest general (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:07:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Who is the greatest general (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who is the greatest general  (Read 39022 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« on: March 03, 2004, 02:36:02 AM »

I voted for Jackson. Yes old Blue eyes. Washington was not a good general like many think. He nearly lost the war, the only reason we won the revolution was because the French came in and joined and blockaded the British fleet at Yorktown. Old Blue Eyes was a genius but if I could have voted twice I would have voted for Blue Eyes and Lee. Those two together were dangerous! Chancerlorsville is a shining example of their combined genuis. Outnumbered 2-1 Lee split his forces in the face of the enemy and allowed Jackson a flank march which smashed the Union army and caused a major rout.  Jackson was not afraid to take his men into battle. He would charge the Union forces until they broke as he did during Second Manassas. Lee was good but alone after Jackson died he became to cautious also it didnt help that he was having minor heartattacks for the last 2 years of the war. If Lee had attacked Culp Hill and Cemetary Hill on the first night as Jubal Early begged him to do Lee would have won the battle on the first day. To bad the British decided not to send troops to Lee.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 02:15:18 AM »

I give Washington credit he did keep Congress together about the war and was a excellent motivator. Kind of like McClellan, who someone said earlier and I agree with.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2004, 02:25:37 AM »

Grant was a butcher, plain and simple. The only reason he beat Lee is because he sacrificed thousand of men for very little ground. Over 3000 soldiers died in 5 minutes at Cold Harbor. And Grant didnt, win he had a draw.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2004, 02:14:45 AM »

All of the Union commanders were lousy. Grant was a terrible president, corrrect? He probably was the worst two term president.

Not all of the Union commanders were bad.  It's just that the commanders at the start of the war were far worse compared to there Confederate counter-parts.  Grant was excellent. Sherman was good (if you don't count the March to the Sea), Winfield Scott Hancock was an excellent commander.  John Reynolds was a great commander who was killed in his prime at Gettysburg.  Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain was a great general.  There are pleanty of others.

Give the Chambermaid thing a rest. He's way way overrated. McClellan was the best commander of the Union Armies. He made the army that defeated Lee.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 11:24:34 AM »

Chamberlain is overrated, he lead one charge down L.R.T. Their were many greater leaders on July 2nd. Plus, everyone talks about the great charge of the 20th Maine and fails to mention that the Berdans Sharpshooters pinned down the Alabamians from completely overrunning Chamberlains left flank.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2004, 03:01:17 AM »

Chamberlain is overrated, he lead one charge down L.R.T. Their were many greater leaders on July 2nd. Plus, everyone talks about the great charge of the 20th Maine and fails to mention that the Berdans Sharpshooters pinned down the Alabamians from completely overrunning Chamberlains left flank.

Your facts are all accurate, but it was still an incredible feat none-the-less.  But you are totally leaving out his service after Gettysburgh which is pretty extraordinary.  

Between Gettysburg and Appomattox the story of Chamberlain is kind of quiet. I mean he was honorable at Appomattox. But as far as great generals go I would say. Forrest, JEB Stuart, Hancock. Chamberlain is a honorable man with a mediocre record.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2004, 01:30:32 PM »

What did he do at Cold Harbor. I forgot its been so long.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2004, 02:16:37 AM »

Yeah, I remember that now. The wound later killed him, wayy down the road. As what I've read said he died in 80s of "old war wounds". I imagine he lived his life in terrible pain after the war.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2004, 02:08:36 AM »

Sherman was humane? Lets list his "humane" acts :

*Murder and rape of civilians from Atlanta to Columbia,SC
*Hundreds of blacks were killed when Sherman ordered a bridge to be pulled up causing hundreds of blacks to die.
*Pillaged and stole millions of dollars in property.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2004, 03:00:35 AM »

I never said I hate him. I dislike him based on the facts.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2004, 08:58:58 AM »

They paid for it with their money fair and square? How do you assume they didn't "own" it. Do those clothes you wear that are made in China or Burma really "yours" since they were most likely sewed by slaves.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2004, 02:27:11 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The difference is the deaths in N.Virginia were mostly military in battle or by disease. Whereas the deaths on the march to the sea were mostly civilian. If Sherman himself wasn't guilty of ordering the atrocities that occured, he sure was guilty of doing nothing about the Bummers.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2004, 08:17:11 PM »

By the way. I don't know if you know or not but the "Bummers" as they were called were rogue Union soldiers who followed the armies during the "March to the sea". They often raped and pillaged towns along the route and Sherman did nothing to prosecute them for their crimes.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2004, 08:37:19 AM »

Well, by 19th Century standards what Sherman did was very "unfair". He may have been humane to his troops by not slaughtering them, but the way he treated civilians is up for debate.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2004, 08:06:19 PM »

lee was the best tactical general grant the best strategic.
washington was a joke as a general.

What great strategy did Grant have? Charge thousands of your men in the open against heavily fortified positions? His great strategy at Cold Harbor cost him almost 4,000 men in 7 minutes of combat. Grant the Butcher.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2004, 01:29:31 AM »

The ANV lost the war at the Battle of Five Forks. Once that spot collapsed the whole defense of Richmond was lost. That in my opinion is when Lee lost the civil war. Certain generals shouldn't have been worried about a shad bake, they should have been worried about those dern yanks.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2004, 01:18:13 AM »

He did make the best comment in modern history though. "Never fight a land war in Asia." Prophetic words.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies