JFK and Vietnam (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:07:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  JFK and Vietnam (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you honestly believe that John F. Kennedy, had he lived, would have pulled out of Vietnam?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 16

Author Topic: JFK and Vietnam  (Read 2519 times)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« on: May 09, 2008, 05:32:05 AM »

I have no idea.

And I'm pretty sure Kennedy himself didn't really know either at the time of his death. I think at the end of the day, Kennedy was as much of a foreign policy hawk as he was a Detente diplomat. He often wanted to keep himself all options open and the decision which of those two parts he wanted to play was basically made on a case-to-case basis.

That said, at the time of his death he was in a process of "thinking it over"... but no decision had already been made either way.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 06:58:23 AM »
« Edited: May 09, 2008, 07:02:00 AM by Old Europe »

Another fact I just remembered from reading a book about Kennedy's foreign policy once:

I think Kennedy's closest circle of adivsors was actually pretty much divided on Vietnam. One side didn't really see much point in continuing with the current strategy and favored exploring a number of alternatives to a military engagement, the other side wanted to continue or even expand the U.S. military involvement.

At the time of Kennedy's death neither side had gained the upper hand and the internal discussion hadn't really come to a conclusion. When Johnson become president, he fired almost all of those "Vietnam doves", while he kept the "hawks" in his administration.

The bottom line is... a continued Kennedy administration had made a withdrawal a bit more likely, but there is no guarantee that it actually would have happened.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies