Official West Virginia Democratic Primary Discussion Thread...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:51:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Official West Virginia Democratic Primary Discussion Thread...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11
Author Topic: Official West Virginia Democratic Primary Discussion Thread...  (Read 14114 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: May 13, 2008, 07:31:56 PM »
« edited: May 13, 2008, 07:33:51 PM by Eraserhead »

The lack of respect for West Virginians here by some so called "progressives", democrats and independents here is pretty maddening.
Yes. I know I was pissed off when Clinton called states like Idaho and Mississippi insignificant or not important or not real states. Let's not do the same, Obama supporters.

She never said they were insignificant, unimportant or "not real" states. This is a common strawman created by Obamites and it doesn't excuse the lack of respect for a real good state like WV.

What are some of the things you like about WV, other than the fact that it voted for the candidate you support? Just curious.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #126 on: May 13, 2008, 07:32:18 PM »

lol, new exit revisions show Edwards gaining.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #127 on: May 13, 2008, 07:33:14 PM »

Did you hear that the governor's mansion in West Virginia burned down?

Almost took out the whole trailer park.
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #128 on: May 13, 2008, 07:33:35 PM »

The lack of respect for West Virginians here by some so called "progressives", democrats and independents here is pretty maddening.
Yes. I know I was pissed off when Clinton called states like Idaho and Mississippi insignificant or not important or not real states. Let's not do the same, Obama supporters.

She never said they were insignificant, unimportant or "not real" states. This is a common strawman created by Obamites and it doesn't excuse the lack of respect for a real good state like WV.

What are some of the things you like about WV, other than the fact that it voted for the candidate you supposrt? Just curious.

I used to live in West Virginia. It is a beautiful state. It is also a misunderstood state.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #129 on: May 13, 2008, 07:34:28 PM »

What are some of the things you like about WV, other than the fact that it voted for the candidate you supposrt? Just curious.

Can we do what Alcon suggested and move this discussion to another thread, so we can keep this thread for analytical discussions of West Virginia, not our like or dislike of the state.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #130 on: May 13, 2008, 07:34:44 PM »

Did you hear that the governor's mansion in West Virginia burned down?

Almost took out the whole trailer park.

I feel guilty that I laughed at that.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #131 on: May 13, 2008, 07:35:28 PM »

With 2% in, Edwards is at 7%.

"lol" is really the only justifiable thing to say to that.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #132 on: May 13, 2008, 07:35:39 PM »

EDWARDS! EDWARDS! EDWARDS!

Why is MSM hiding his vote total? Boo!
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #133 on: May 13, 2008, 07:35:55 PM »

Wow. 7% for edwards.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #134 on: May 13, 2008, 07:36:05 PM »
« Edited: May 13, 2008, 07:41:05 PM by J. J. »

Donna Brazille on CNN, perpetuating the myth that every state except FL & MI complied with the DNC calendar rules....no mention of IA & NH's rulebreaking.

IA & NH both applied for waivers to the DNC and received them.

Yes, but only *after* they'd already moved their contests.  They moved to Jan. 3rd and Jan. 8th respectively, which was earlier than the DNC allowed (the original DNC calendar said they could go on Jan. 14th and Jan. 22nd respectively), and said "We don't care what the DNC says, we're going to vote on Jan. 3 and 8 no matter what."  The DNC gave them a pass in December 2007, after their dates were already locked in.

Formally the DNC didn't give them a pass until December, but informally, both states had consulted with Dean before making their moves and it was widely understood that they'd be given the pass. Florida was the first to make a move on May 3, and, in order to forestall a chaotic rush, the Rules Committee decided to set an example with Florida.

When Michigan followed in August, they had no choice but to do the same. New Hampshire's constitution requires that its primary be at least one week before any other primary. Therefore they legally had no choice but to move 1 week prior to Michigan to Jan. 8. After consultations with the DNC both NH and IA were allowed to move.

I used to think Dean behaved unfairly, but now I'm not so sure. Which state moved first-- New Hampshire or Michigan?

It's not a question of "fairness" but of raw power, including seating all those that Clinton would like to.  She might have the votes on 5/20, the DNC Rules and Bylaws Committee, to do that.  It's not pretty, but it is within the rules.  You could see Obama's totals drop by up to 120 delegates.

That is one of the reasons I really think those super delegates need to step up relatively soon.

Edit:  The meeting is 5/31/08.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #135 on: May 13, 2008, 07:36:41 PM »

With 2% in, Edwards is at 7%.

"lol" is really the only justifiable thing to say to that.

Hey, he got 10% in OK (post drop out).
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #136 on: May 13, 2008, 07:36:51 PM »

Aw... this is bringing up so many old, repressed pro-Edwards feelings. Smiley
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #137 on: May 13, 2008, 07:37:03 PM »

Aw... this is bringing up so many old, repressed pro-Edwards feelings. Smiley
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #138 on: May 13, 2008, 07:37:43 PM »

Why would people throw away their vote on a candidate who is NOT RUNNING!!?!?!?!?!!
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #139 on: May 13, 2008, 07:38:32 PM »

Why would people throw away their vote on a candidate who is NOT RUNNING!!?!?!?!?!!

Voting for Edwards is the same as voting for Hillary Clinton IMO
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #140 on: May 13, 2008, 07:39:15 PM »

I really am starting to become convinced that you're a fake poster whose never lived in Oklahoma in his life.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #141 on: May 13, 2008, 07:39:42 PM »

Because they dislike the other two? If you still support Obama though this is a good thing....
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #142 on: May 13, 2008, 07:40:18 PM »

Formally the DNC didn't give them a pass until December, but informally, both states had consulted with Dean before making their moves and it was widely understood that they'd be given the pass. Florida was the first to make a move on May 3, and, in order to forestall a chaotic rush, the Rules Committee decided to set an example with Florida.

When Michigan followed in August, they had no choice but to do the same. New Hampshire's constitution requires that its primary be at least one week before any other primary. Therefore they legally had no choice but to move 1 week prior to Michigan to Jan. 8. After consultations with the DNC both NH and IA were allowed to move.

I used to think Dean behaved unfairly, but now I'm not so sure. Which state moved first-- New Hampshire or Michigan?

You have something of a point in the case of Iowa.  But with NH, they said from day 1 that they were going to violate the DNC calendar, as they would never agree to voting after Nevada.  True, they didn't formally select their date until after Michigan did, but they said many times before that that they were going to vote earlier than Jan. 22nd, no matter what the DNC said.  In fact, Michigan used this to justify their own actions.  They said "Well, NH says they're going to break the rules, so why shouldn't we?"

Go reread this thread, in which you agreed with me on this point:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=72920.30
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #143 on: May 13, 2008, 07:40:49 PM »

Voting for Edwards is the same as voting for Hillary Clinton IMO

At least Clinton is still running and still has a chance, all 0.5% of it, so her voters are not throwing their vote away.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #144 on: May 13, 2008, 07:41:56 PM »

Kanawha boosted Obama to 38%
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #145 on: May 13, 2008, 07:42:40 PM »

I really am starting to become convinced that you're a fake poster whose never lived in Oklahoma in his life.

Um... how so?  I live right here in Harrah, Oklahoma (look at the map close to Oklahoma City).  Though, thats a discussion for another thread.  This is about West Virginia.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #146 on: May 13, 2008, 07:43:26 PM »

STOP THE COUNT
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #147 on: May 13, 2008, 07:44:15 PM »

Because they dislike the other two? If you still support Obama though this is a good thing....

Its funny.  I support Barack Obama AND John McCain.  I can't make up my mind between the two.  At this point, I'm more inclined to vote for Obama, though that can easily change.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #148 on: May 13, 2008, 07:44:36 PM »

Haha!
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #149 on: May 13, 2008, 07:45:36 PM »

I think Edwards just made West Virginia look a lot more pro-Obama....
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies