Official West Virginia Democratic Primary Discussion Thread... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:10:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Official West Virginia Democratic Primary Discussion Thread... (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Official West Virginia Democratic Primary Discussion Thread...  (Read 14126 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« on: May 13, 2008, 09:29:49 AM »

I know Clinton is expected to win by 30-40 points, but we've done this for every contest date thus far, so why not create one for West Virginia.   I suspect the discussion will be little on West Virginia, and more on other logistics of the campaign, but I could be wrong.

BTW, WV polls close at 7:30 pm EDT tonight.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 09:40:50 AM »

Does anyone know if there is a any chance of a last minute poll?

No idea.  Doubt it, though.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 04:03:52 PM »

BUMP -- Can we sticky this please for the next 12 hours or so?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 06:15:33 PM »

The polls close in 15 minutes and then we will begin to see how bad Obama's going to get crushed tonight.  With only 28 delegates, West Virginia won't be that important even if she comes out with a 10 delegate net.  According to CNN estimates, he comes in with 1874 delegates (151 delegates from nomination) and she comes in with 1697 delegates (177 delegates behind Obama).  So, he is closer to the nomination than he is to Hillary Clinton.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 06:20:01 PM »

CNN's exit poll reporting among Clinton supporters say that 75% would be dissatisfied if Obama won, 23% would be satisfied, and, uh...2% not "neither," but "other."  What's "other"?

"I would be neither satisfied nor dissatisfied, but I would be hungry"?

Hungry for what?  Can you elaborate?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 06:30:18 PM »

CNN Calls West Virginia for Hillary Clinton
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 06:38:01 PM »

Her win in West Virginia automatically gives her 6 statewide delegates to start.  She now has 1,703 delegates according to CNN estimates.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 07:08:46 PM »

And, yet, Dukakis went back to Massachusetts and Clinton went to the White House.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 07:10:19 PM »

Wow...  Howard Wolfson is clueless.  I love how Wolf Blitzer and John King are grilling him over how he can deny the math.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 07:18:19 PM »

Donna Brazille on CNN, perpetuating the myth that every state except FL & MI complied with the DNC calendar rules....no mention of IA & NH's rulebreaking.

That's true.  Almost all of the January states broke the rules in some form or another,  That's why the Republicans stripped most of those states of half their delegates.  They stripped Michigan and Florida, but also South Carolina, and maybe some other states that I can't remember right off hand.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 07:27:54 PM »

The lack of respect for West Virginians here by some so called "progressives", democrats and independents here is pretty maddening.
Yes. I know I was pissed off when Clinton called states like Idaho and Mississippi insignificant or not important or not real states. Let's not do the same, Obama supporters.

Please!!!!
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 07:30:19 PM »

In my opinion, West Virginia's 5 Electoral Votes are just as vital as California's 55 Electoral Votes.  I believe that about EVERY state, including states that don't have much say like West Virginia, Oklahoma, Nebraska, etc.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 07:34:28 PM »

The lack of respect for West Virginians here by some so called "progressives", democrats and independents here is pretty maddening.
Yes. I know I was pissed off when Clinton called states like Idaho and Mississippi insignificant or not important or not real states. Let's not do the same, Obama supporters.

She never said they were insignificant, unimportant or "not real" states. This is a common strawman created by Obamites and it doesn't excuse the lack of respect for a real good state like WV.

What are some of the things you like about WV, other than the fact that it voted for the candidate you supposrt? Just curious.

Can we do what Alcon suggested and move this discussion to another thread, so we can keep this thread for analytical discussions of West Virginia, not our like or dislike of the state.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 07:37:43 PM »

Why would people throw away their vote on a candidate who is NOT RUNNING!!?!?!?!?!!
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 07:40:49 PM »

Why would people throw away their vote on a candidate who is NOT RUNNING!!?!?!?!?!!

Voting for Edwards is the same as voting for Hillary Clinton IMO

At least Clinton is still running and still has a chance, all 0.5% of it, so her voters are not throwing their vote away.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2008, 07:42:40 PM »

I really am starting to become convinced that you're a fake poster whose never lived in Oklahoma in his life.

Um... how so?  I live right here in Harrah, Oklahoma (look at the map close to Oklahoma City).  Though, thats a discussion for another thread.  This is about West Virginia.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2008, 07:44:15 PM »

Because they dislike the other two? If you still support Obama though this is a good thing....

Its funny.  I support Barack Obama AND John McCain.  I can't make up my mind between the two.  At this point, I'm more inclined to vote for Obama, though that can easily change.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2008, 07:49:59 PM »

Because they dislike the other two? If you still support Obama though this is a good thing....

Its funny.  I support Barack Obama AND John McCain.  I can't make up my mind between the two.  At this point, I'm more inclined to vote for Obama, though that can easily change.
Why the heck would you consider John McCain, when he supports the Iraq War, will do nothing for the Working class, and isn't a strong Social Conservative? The only good thing about him is that he is for doing something about Global Warming.

Because he would appoint moderate to conservative judges (probably moderate due to a heavily Democratic Senate), but more importantly would provide a check on a growing Democratic Congress.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2008, 07:57:56 PM »

Why the heck would you consider John McCain, when he supports the Iraq War, will do nothing for the Working class, and isn't a strong Social Conservative? The only good thing about him is that he is for doing something about Global Warming.

Because he would appoint moderate to conservative judges (probably moderate due to a heavily Democratic Senate), but more importantly would provide a check on a growing Democratic Congress.
Wouldn't no checks on a Democratic Congress be better for reform for the Working Class, and Leftism?
You've got to realize, I'm not a leftist.  I am a conservative Democrat.  I like Obama because he would bring change and would turn this economy around, but I also think McCain could do that, as well.  The main thing I agree with Obama on is getting out of Iraq.  I agree with McCain on a lot of other things.

Like I said, I'm still trying to figure out who I like.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2008, 08:06:10 PM »

Wouldn't no checks on a Democratic Congress be better for reform for the Working Class, and Leftism?
You've got to realize, I'm not a leftist.  I am a conservative Democrat.  I like Obama because he would bring change and would turn this economy around, but I also think McCain could do that, as well.  The main thing I agree with Obama on is getting out of Iraq.  I agree with McCain on a lot of other things.

Like I said, I'm still trying to figure out who I like.
Really? I understand you are a conservative Democrat, but you seem pretty leftist on Economics issues and what counts? Would McCain really turn around the Economy anyways, when he proposes the same old Republican rhetoric?
Okay... Fair argument.  You're right, I am pretty left on the economy.  I guess I'm torn between by liberal economics (Obama) and conservative social issues (McCain).  I generally tilt toward my economics, thus is why I am leaning toward Obama right now.  Its because of my conservative social stances why I would be happy with a McCain administration.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2008, 08:11:43 PM »

My preference would be for a President Obama together an increasingly influential Blue Dog presence in the House. Senators will vote with their consciences on judicial appointees

Congressional Democrats may well serve to be a stronger check on Obama than those servile Republicans ever were on Bush

Dave

Good points.  I always like your analysis of things, Dave.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2008, 08:23:15 PM »

My preference would be for a President Obama together an increasingly influential Blue Dog presence in the House. Senators will vote with their consciences on judicial appointees

Congressional Democrats may well serve to be a stronger check on Obama than those servile Republicans ever were on Bush

Dave

Good points.  I always like your analysis of things, Dave.
I was going to say the same thing, but I figured that someone else would say it. The Democratic Party is more of a regional party anyways, and most of the new Democrats elected will be either Blue Dogs, or DLCer's to hold Obama in check.

Now, I hadn't thought of that aspect of it.  But, you're right, looking at the vulnerable seats ready to flip to the Democrats that they do look more Blue-Doggish and DLC'ish.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2008, 08:30:23 PM »

So far, Clinton has claimed 15 delegates compared to Obama's 3 delegates in West Virginia tonight.  The count now stands at 1,877 for Obama (148 shy of nom) and 1,712 for Clinton (165 shy of Obama).  There are 10 pledged delegates left up for grabs in West Virginia and the current count with 23% in stands at 63-30 for Hillary Clinton.  That's basically a 2-1 margin, so I'm thinking that Hillary will get 18-20 delegates total and Obama will pick up 8-10 total, giving Hillary a 10-12 net delegate pick-up.

Kentucky and Oregon...  Here we come...
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2008, 08:48:35 PM »

"West Virginia is a key swing state, yadayadayada, West Virginia is super important is key, yaddyaydyada, West Virginia is absolutley necessary"

Its like he's saying in regards to Michigan and Florida that Obama didn't have his name on the ballot, so that's his tough luck.  Mind you, the ONLY reason the Clinton supporters are advocating so strongly for Michigan and Florida is because it would help HER.  If they were favored to Obama, they would not be advocating it this loudly and the opposite may have been true.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2008, 09:17:57 PM »

How far, in terms of miles and driving time, is the extreme eastern tip of the West Virginia "panhandle" from places like Harrisburg and Washington D.C.?  I know a lot of the residents in that part of the state commute through NoVa into the D.C. metro, but I was wondering how far of a drive it is for them?
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies